Storage Bins - need setting for allowed temperatures

Recently had a situation where a dupe swept some 1400F degree Iron from under and Iron Volcano and stored it in the middle of my base. A minor emergency ensued to prevent heat death inside my home, but it highlighted to me that it's currently impossible to sort sweep by temperature or to prevent dupes from bringing hot/cold items into places you might not want them.

Storage bins already have a setting allowing you to establish how much is allowed to be stored there, a simple temperature range would do wonders as well.

Yeah I would love to see this change. The sweep only solution works, but not for critter feeders. My dupes loved to get the 200+ degree granite from the surface and put it in the stone hatch ranch, ignoring the tonnes of safe temperature granite stored elsewhere. I ended up putting worts next to all the critter feeders but a simple temperature range gauge would've saved all the hassle from heat spikes.

Totally agree.  As soon as I breach the surface I dump all metals out of my storage containers.  It gets frustrating with the steaming hot granite on the surface as well.  Another solution I thought of was to have a duplicant checkpoint that disallows them to bring materials through.  I would put one of those in any toasty areas I don't want them bringing hot materials out of.

Well, you could simply have a storage bin in said toasty area and have the dupes not deliver it through your base. Of course that doesn't work right now, since there is that weird behavior that makes them transport to the nearest storage bin relative from where they start the sweep task (in contrast to the nearest storage relative to the pickup). So most likely they transport everything past serveral good storages and put it in the center of your base. Annoying :)

Archived