Anyone play DST through a VPN? Has anyone found how the client checks for VPN?

Hi folks,

I've been wanting to play VPN on my work laptop, but the client never goes through VPN. Anyone know how the client acquires proxy?

I am getting "Can't connect to network, play offline" even though browser and steam is all fine.

Company uses a PAC file for reference.

Anyone know how this part of the client works?

Thanks.

• Developer

The client doesn't do anything special to block VPN access. Network communication is a combination of outbound HTTPS connections for things like authentication and downloading your inventory, and UDP for the actual gameplay (for latency reasons real time games are almost always UDP).

21 hours ago, nome said:

The client doesn't do anything special to block VPN access. Network communication is a combination of outbound HTTPS connections for things like authentication and downloading your inventory, and UDP for the actual gameplay (for latency reasons real time games are almost always UDP).

What variables do you guys usually check for network connection? Is it a registry key or the %HTTPS_PROXY% or %HTTP_PROXY%?

For some reasons, I might have to code it manually to get it working, since we are using some weird tools, like PulseVPN, which configures some things in the background.

Much appreciated.

• Developer

HTTPS_PROXY will work for the curl parts, but you can't just relay the real-time UDP part through an HTTP proxy.

You need a full VPN that lets arbitrary UDP packets through to arbitrary destinations without knowing anything about their contents if you want the game to work. Otherwise you'll be able to log in and get your inventory, but not connect to a server.

19 minutes ago, nome said:

HTTPS_PROXY will work for the curl parts, but you can't just relay the real-time UDP part through an HTTP proxy.

You need a full VPN that lets arbitrary UDP packets through to arbitrary destinations without knowing anything about their contents if you want the game to work. Otherwise you'll be able to log in and get your inventory, but not connect to a server.

I see, thanks.

I never had issues on the UDP aspects, just the login part. I managed in the past to get it working by fiddling with the settings, but don't remember which.

I will report on what I find.

20 minutes ago, nome said:

Is that true for us at Klei as well? Because I feel like it might have a negative effect on build quality. :) 

So funny.  Love you Nome for you and the rest of the Klei group you are not playing it is work. Ha!  So glad you enjoy the games you work on as much as we do.  XOXO:D

20 hours ago, Bee2017 said:

Just a weird thought on playing DST at work.  Don't.

Not at work.

I'm starting a holiday, heading off to Greece tomorrow, and I'm bringing my work laptop with me to play with my girl.

Sadly, I still couldn't get it to connect play offline, we will prob play LAN. Oh well.

I tried many things, but it doesn't work. My network connects through a PAC file and something called Pulse VPN.

• Developer

PAC files configure web proxies. Setting $https_proxy appropriately should relay all the login/items traffic through said proxy. The game (on windows/mac/linux) uses libcurl so you can use the curl command line tool to test, it should behave the exact same way. Though I think Microsoft has a tool which has nothing to do with the real curl but they call curl, the libcurl author has asked them to remove the alias. That won't behave identically obviously.

Archived