How to quickly make large vacuum chambers, ft. Plinko!

I discovered my dig pattern was often creating vacuums, so I did some tinkering to use it to create vacuums intentionally! Very easy and quick to build, as the pattern allows for full freedom of movement, no scaffolding needed!

The trick is to use two liquids, first a bottle of the one that sinks, then the one that floats, then the one that sinks again. Sometimes just two bottles does it, but it often leaves a square or two of gas. I used ethanol and water, but any two liquids would work, except polluted water would off gas and ruin the vacuum!

You can only go 4-7 tiles to the right from the pour point, depending on the sinking liquids viscosity, but you can go an unlimited number to the left as far as I can tell, and as far down as you want. This was as far to the right as ethanol will go.

You can make the triangle part hollow, but it won't look as cool.

Also the blueprint mod is awesome.

1 hour ago, MRE_ said:

I discovered my dig pattern was often creating vacuums, so I did some tinkering to use it to create vacuums intentionally!

I love it. Thanks for sharing.  This will go perfect with a liquid dynamics post I'm currently writing (it might explain why this works left, and not right).  More coming, hopefully tomorrow.  Thanks for the work.  This was just genius. :) 

For those interested in knowing more about why this works, see the liquid gas bypass post. You can make the same thing happen with a steady drip of 30 g (salt water and water - as they spread out rapidly at 30g) out of a vent. First make sure that each tile has the heavier liquid on it.  Then turn off the pump.  Then turn on the lighter liquid (water) till everything is vacuum.  Liquids won't swap down once vacuum forms. The third liquid, in the video, is my best guess as to any form of gas deletion (otherwise this will preserve all gas). 

lgb-vacuum.thumb.png.fa8910ded110a3921ae7d049562fda8b.png

Archived