Critter based cooling modules

Inspired by @Lilalaunekuh's research, I've tried to build some automated critter based cooling modules, hoping for them to be convoluted, unnecessarily complicated and have that "The Incredible Machine" feeling when you made Rube Goldberg machines instead of solving the puzzles. Work in progress, but they seem to be working fine, despite my pc struggling to keep up with basic automation.

Spoiler

CritterCooler.thumb.jpg.9135d54c404dc3f6fba7f9fefd6a7503.jpg

The top ones work for climbing critters, they can accommodate Pips and Glossy Dreckos. For Dreckos, you'd have to substitute the 800 kg pools of water with about 100 kg of petroleum/crude oil, since they drown easily in small quantities of those liquids. The middle ones work for ranches, and the bottom ones for pokeshells. They are like the middle ones, just with different thermo sensor settings and substituting the 800 kg water tiles for 740 kg of petroleum. All rooms are vacuum.

They rely on automation to deliver eggs in a round robin fashion. You could use conveyor bridges to achieve the same result, but they don't save their state on save/load, while memory toggles do, ensuring that the correct sequence is always respected.

Each module is mirrored and consists of two side chambers where eggs are dropped and critters are precooked mature in a warm environment, a dispenser like mechanism and a double central chamber where they are cooked spend their adulthood.

In the first chamber, eggs are heated up to the upper livable temperature of the critter, set by the thermo sensor. After they hatch and reset their temperature, they get heated up again. They can't move, ensuring no pathfinding and proper heat absorption. When they grow up and reset their temperature again, they are able to enter the dispenser due to "mechanics" and get dropped into the furnace of hell itself a chamber where they'll be able to evolve into bacon. Only one thermosensor per pair of chambers here, due to their... different nature. Autosweepers with corner access pick up the corpses the hard earned results of their efforts.

Some overlays for the Pip/Drecko module:

Spoiler

PipModule.thumb.jpg.bcb47027960035d732ba3e5e309c4a00.jpg

Spoiler

PipModuleAuto.thumb.jpg.1f250b81c6128cabad1f76c528742316.jpg

Spoiler

PipModuleConv.jpg.ef25c6dfc3cd981d19cae0a3cb9aa12f.jpg

And for the Hatch/Pokeshell module:

Spoiler

HatchModule.jpg.4139734f0a708527a3db40a7c7cdf190.jpg

Spoiler

HatchModuleAuto.jpg.42c07e48da54b12ca248885ac85de28b.jpg

Spoiler

HatchModuleConv.jpg.27b3660fef90667f2078daeb2cab4ffe.jpg

This was fun to build. It's scalable and seems quite powerful. And 101% cooler (HA) than a steam turbine!

Link to @Lilalaunekuh's post for reference: 

Cya:wilson_love:

55 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

hoping for them to be convoluted, unnecessarily complicated and have that "The Incredible Machine" feeling

I mostly implemented the real simple solutions:

Spoiler

cooling.thumb.png.ccab1490c84e4a4c04edb43acc9df09c.png

2.thumb.png.4b033b5096fda1228ac961feeefa6f24.png

PS: Did you mess with "superheating" the eggs before hatching and the eggshells before crushing ?

[You can heat up the eggs and eggshells to over 1000°C and add a good chunk of heat deletion.]

29 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Did you mess with "superheating" the eggs before hatching and the eggshells before crushing ?

Superheating the egg could be a problem with this "compact" design, wouldn't want to mess with the baby pool temperature, but it should be feasible. Would be easy with a larger module, letting the critter hatch in vacuum and then dropping it in the pool via a dispenser. Some heat would probably bleed during the trip on the conveyor tho and would require a vacuum channel to prevent it somewhat.

Egg shells are carried away, so superheating them should be no problem.

1 minute ago, 6Havok9 said:

Superheating the egg could be a problem with this "compact" design,

Done some tinkering myself and settled for heating the eggs only to the same temperature like my critters.

Just wanted to know if you maybe got a unfinished build or something to show ^^

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Done some tinkering myself and settled for heating the eggs only to the same temperature like my critters.

Just wanted to know if you maybe got a unfinished build or something to show ^^

You could try something like this, thrown together in a hurry.

5d56c5f6688ed_SHEggs.thumb.jpg.a29894fe6bae6de947e2e90cbd47dc97.jpg

Not amazing nor complete, but you get the point =v The eggs have to always be in a vacuum, and need to rest on a mesh or airflow tile in vacuum, or insulated insulation. Items going on a rail won't exchange heat in vacuum, nor mesh and airflow tiles or pneumatic doors in vacuum, nor bridges. They will exchange heat with any solid tile they cross and the one below it, except insulated insulation. So yea, it requires some work, but can be done =v

EDIT: If you want to deliver cool eggs and superheat them locally to save yourself the hassle of a long vacuum corridor, you'd probably need them to rest on a drop of molten metal or something that can go super hot, and provide heat by running a radiant pipe on the tile under it.

You can look up the results of the research in the post I linked at the end of the first post.

It depends on the critter type. There's a comparison table between critter cooling and acquatuner cooling using DTUs.

Archived