L.U. - Optimized Pulse Scanner / Solar Network

Greetings. I have returned! Took a bit of a break in anticipation for the launch upgrade...But I wanted to finish what I started, which was a streamlined, optimized and zero maintenance scanning network.

The goal of this build started out simple, got really complicated, and then got simple again : Make a scanner / solar network that minimized power consumption, but maximized solar light and solar panels.

Instead of a long winded essay, this time I've done a long winded narration! This will be the first time I've attempted a narrated guide...So, hope this came out alright...Definitely quite a challenge to talk about this for as long as I did. (There was a lot to explain....)

If I've made any mistakes I'm more than happy to correct them, but I did my best to be accurate.

The attached video goes through (in moderate detail) a Pulse Scanning setup I've been working on. I've also included a few helpful tidbits on the scanners, solar panels, meteors, bunkers and some general stuff on the logic gates.

If there are those that would like a written guide and a look at some of the spreadsheets involved, I wouldn't mind doing that either, but I wanted to try the narrative approach instead.

The ONI Meteorolgy guide can be found here -

Spoiler

My original Scanner guide can be found here -

Spoiler

And some potentially interesting info on solar light / panels can be found here -

Spoiler

So without further ado...

If you want to optimize it further then you can consider fact that there is no point to power scanners for 300s after detecting incoming signal. Same is for 100s after meteros stops. Also you can detect the peace season and not scann during it.

However since 2 new meteor showers were added and have different timing it might become really complicated to create one common automation for all meteor shower types. But it wont stop me from doing this ;-). My next build will be tottaly optimized.

7 hours ago, Angpaur said:

If you want to optimize it further then you can consider fact that there is no point to power scanners for 300s after detecting incoming signal. Same is for 100s after meteros stops. Also you can detect the peace season and not scann during it.

However since 2 new meteor showers were added and have different timing it might become really complicated to create one common automation for all meteor shower types. But it wont stop me from doing this ;-). My next build will be tottaly optimized.

Well, I at least shut the 5 off. Trying to shut the 6th scanner off and then turn it back on just seems like extra pain for not much savings.

I suppose you can say "Totally optimized", vs. "Realistically optimized". Gotta weigh in simplicity vs. what you gain from additional automation.

So you have 300 seconds / 8 seconds between pulse  =~ 38 pulses * 120 watts => 4.56 kW...which is like, basically nothing.

Was trying to save dimes, not nickels. However! This is the core of the build, a starting off point...so maybe it fuels some more feature filled builds...and I'd be interested in seeing them.

The original build actually did keep the scanners off for 100 seconds after the shower was over though, is something I had originally done, and kinda forgot about...Maybe food for thought on the next build of this I do in a live run.

5 hours ago, Sigma Cypher said:

Welcome back man.  I missed you!

<3

Well, frankly speaking I wasn't optimizing my build for power saving reasons. I had 43 solar panels, so even without any optimization I would probably still be overproducing power. I optimized my build because it was a challenge. Game itself, with its survival, was no longer challenging at some point, so I just started to do some pointless stuff ;)

6 hours ago, Angpaur said:

Well, frankly speaking I wasn't optimizing my build for power saving reasons. I had 43 solar panels, so even without any optimization I would probably still be overproducing power. I optimized my build because it was a challenge. Game itself, with its survival, was no longer challenging at some point, so I just started to do some pointless stuff ;)

Aye, I getcha. I'm in the same boat when I get to faffing about after end-game.

Was just hinting that this build/guide was mainly geared towards those that may be newer to the game / learning, so part of the design concept was to simplify as much as possible while still achieving efficient results. If any major QoL changes can be made without adding too much in the way of automation, I'd be interested in seeing it.

You can get anything done with high degrees of complexity...The problem lies on getting the same task done with low degrees of complexity, which is what usually makes me scratch my head the longest.

Thought it'd be fun to provide a quick time-lapse on how to set this up in a live playthrough.

This is on my current Arboria playthrough, so it is in fact, my current game.

It's easy given the right order of operations, just a bit time consuming...as anything in space kinda is...

Step 1) Bunker doors and spaced working ledges up top, put in automation wire and power cable for bunker doors.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c86705bff8f3dcd7ac25d48b10932c1e.png

Step 2) Work from left (or right) edge of map, position initial scanner 15 tiles right (or left, depending on the side you chose), 12 tiles down. This is easiest from left or right edge of map.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d05f8e508dd342b3911e30c0819495e2.png

Step 3) To easily get  scanner spacing without having to think about it, use spacing with the 2x side-by side solar panels. There will be 2x spaces between each group of side-by-side solar panels, where above, the scanner will sit.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.60cabdd090c00c872c0143ffad5903bc.png

Step 4) Put in Flooring, ladders, automation, and power wires. Do not attach the scanner automation to the bunker doors until everything is in.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d2afe090497b1102cc997723a6de464e.png

Step 5) Sip some tea, the next bit will take a few cycles...

image.thumb.png.5693512dbbac264efdd8742ee66ccee7.png

Step 6) Wire up the solar panels to the bunker doors, then pick a cold spot nearby to build / store your smart-batteries. You can put in a bunch of dry-wall, hydrogen and cool it somehow if you want...I don't care... whatever.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.74ed39faae05e6541084e3f5daf3755b.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fb1d940f141a91b4e7ff406c692e0b8a.png

~ 28 bunker doors to cover this setup + 6x pulsed scanners. That's 720 watt spikes from scanners and 3,360 watts for bunker doors. This means you can either hook up 5 separate groups of solar panels (to keep power drain under 1kW) using normal wire to power all of it, or you can use the abundance of refined iron that falls from the heavens and do 3 groups of solar panels (keeping drain under 2kW) to handle everything using conductive wire. Doing the latter lets you save the other 4 groups of solar panels to actively power other things you've got going on. (Extra bunker doors, Space telescopes, jet pack bays, robominers, rocket stuff, whatever floats your boat)

Step 7) Put in whatever method you plan on cleaning the regolith with. Finish stripping out the scaffold under the bunker doors.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.afc1d0b30f8986868ac3db91a708d0f6.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cfba48e31233d1ff7ce048bf052a70dc.png

(I trapped a dupe on top of the tiles and had them deconstruct their way to freedom)

Step 8) With everything hooked up and ready to go, connect the automation to the bunker doors. Enjoy your hassle free solar / meteor automation.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2212002f659af7df537d3d24d1e1bbd9.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a3f63de6d500bade85d5947c9b533ec5.png

Looks like it ended up being 41 cycles total. Considering I only have 10 dupes, and this was a non-priority construction, I don't think it's that bad. Now I have continuous free power and bunker door automation for the rest of my playthrough...

Archived