i really dont like how the RoT ocean is right now

A few issues with the ocean I have go as follows:

1: the lunar island is more often than not connected to the mainland through a shallow water bridge.

This doesnt make sense from a lore standpoint because the lunar island is not a landmass that was connected to the mainland at any point, it's a chunk of the moon that fell down into the ocean. Other than that, it makes finding the lunar island much more simple than otherwise which in my opinion massively takes away from the experience of actually exploring the ocean and finding the island on your own terms, more it feels like the game's pushing you to ignore the majority of the ocean in favor of travelling down specific paths to the island.

2. theres the damn sea stacks everywhere and they're discouraging me from going into the ocean

Recently, a worldgen update made it so that sea stacks spawn in **MASSIVE** numbers in all of the ocean that isn't the lunar island, mainland, or the bridges connecting them. This makes me deeply not want to explore any of the ocean that isn't leading into another landmass to land on. The way this is looking, the ocean appears to be shaping up to only be a metaphorical road or bridge connecting different landmasses, rather than the ocean being it's own actual biome that you can explore and have fun in. I really don't like that.

For the Seastacks I have two reasoning for it, but they could be completely wrong. But hey that's why it's still really early in Beta testing, the 2nd major patch[Turn of Tides] hasn't even entered beta yet so we'll see.

1. The newly added tones of seastacks are place holders for future [islands/structures/etc], though I will say it's quite an odd decision should have just made it empty and change the colour of the ocean in the area but whatever.

2.It could be an unintentional bug to world generation when they said they are experimenting with ocean layouts. This option seems more likely but we'll have to see.

15 hours ago, Flash.Jonathan said:

2.It could be an unintentional bug to world generation when they said they are experimenting with ocean layouts. This option seems more likely but we'll have to see.

I'm on this one.

It seems to have replaced the Antchovie prefab or something, a dev confirmed they were gone but in new generations I'm seeing them again.

I'm not sure, I feel like this is a bug, but only Klei knows.

I also don't want Antchovies to be removed...

43 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I also don't want Antchovies to be removed...

They most likely are just reworking on the Antchovies, since an early version of the fishing net was in the game code and was removed the same time as the Antchovies. I would expect them to be re-added during Turn of Tides update that should be released to Beta branch some time soon, or maybe future installments of the overall Return of Them update.

Does it help to know that if you sail straight into the sea stacks with one or two sails up, they immediately smash into bits with only moderate damage to the boat?

I do hope they tone things down/fix the worldgen error that caused it, because this is inconvenient, even more of a wood sink than boating already was, and absolutely ridiculous to watch, but it's less of an impediment than it would have been a few patches ago.

Archived