Make Warly's Chili Powder Additive, Not Multiplicative

Warly's chili buff grants 20% bonus damage, which stacks multiplicatively with all other existing character damage modifiers. Because it scales multiplicatively, the effect is vastly more powerful on characters who already have high damage (Wolfgang, Wigfrid) and weaker on characters with low damage (Wendy, Wes).

Wendy/Wes' bonus with chili powder: 0.75 x 1.2 damage = 0.9x damage (a 15% increase)

Normal characters' bonus with chili powder: 1.2x damage (a 20% increase)

Wigfrid's bonus with chili powder: 1.25 x 1.2 = 1.5x damage (a 25% increase)

Wolfgang's bonus with chili powder: 2 x 1.2 = 2.4x damage (a 40% increase)

I like damage buffs, but the way that the math on this one works, it is widening the already-considerable power gap between high- and low-tier characters. In any case where chili powder needs to be rationed, it is always going to be most efficient to give it to the party Wolfgangs and Wigfrids. This doesn't bother me so much in the case of Volt Goat Chaud-Froid, as the Chaud-Froid is a very expensive recipe that will not be used by anybody in most fights. But I think chili powder is in kind of an awkward spot where it will be common enough to be used regularly, but also rare enough that it will have to be denied to the characters who don't benefit as much from it, which is going to feel like being snubbed from the cool kids' club.

There is a very simple way to fix this, however--make the chili buff stack additively with character damage modifiers instead of multiplicatively. This would mean it increases Wendy/Wes' modifier from 0.75 to 0.95, normal characters' from 1 to 1.2, Wigfrid's from 1.25 to 1.45, and Wolfgang's from 2 to 2.2--an equal 20% increase for everybody. No matter who takes the chili powder, they will be guaranteed an extra 13.6 damage on each swing of their Dark Sword beyond whatever they'd normally get--instead of Wolfgang getting an extra 27.2 while Wendy gets only 10.2. Now anyone can take the chili powder, without stigma or guilt about hurting the party's collective DPS output.

If anyone's worried that this would completely ruin Wolfgang's hilarious ability to run Misery Toadstool into the ground with blowdarts and Spicy Volt Goat Chaud-Froid, don't panic. He'd still do 550 damage per dart with that strat (as opposed to the 600 per dart that he gets currently).

This makes sense to me. Maybe it's intentional by Klei to have peppers be something that benefits the warriors the most, but it would be nice if it didn't matter where the spice ended up.

In a big group fight against a boss it wouldn't exactly matter if it's additive (unless we speculate dps), the same dmg is applied in the end.

If it was made additive, I'd raise the number a bit further. Because I cannot get over how amazing it is to imagine 600 dmg wolfgang.

22 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

This makes sense to me. Maybe it's intentional by Klei to have peppers be something that benefits the warriors the most, but it would be nice if it didn't matter where the spice ended up.

In a big group fight against a boss it wouldn't exactly matter if it's additive (unless we speculate dps), the same dmg is applied in the end.

If it was made additive, I'd raise the number a bit further. Because I cannot get over how amazing it is to imagine 600 dmg wolfgang.

Then the number you'd be looking for would be a +0.4 additive increase for everyone. I'd be down with that; 1.15x damage on Wendy and Wes sounds great : )

Archived