Can someone please explain the gift mechanic to me?

We normally get our daily gifts, but then sometimes we do not. Lately we may get random gifts throughout our play time, but alot of times we do not. Maybe 1 day out of 3 we get a couple of gifts during game play. 

My husband said he read that the gifts were based on amount of time played, so does that mean time in total or time in one game session? 

I just want to say I think Klei are one of the most generous companies out there, and it really doesn't bother me. I'm just curious how the gifts work :)

It's one free daily gift a day, everyday when you log in.

Then 8 gifts throughout the week based on total time played. This 8 gift cycle resets every Thursday. 

I don't remember what the total hours you need for all 8 but I do know that time is cumulative. It fors not reset after ending a session 

Perfect! Thanks for clearing that up. We were all a bit confused and trying to figure out if it was time or actions that earned the gifts. There were all sorts of crazy speculations going on XD

6 hours ago, Rogueagent01 said:

The daily gifts seem to be reset at 5:40 (eastern)  each day at least for me.

Do you always get daily gifts? I know "daily" should make this question unnecessary, but we sometimes don't get one. Maybe one day out of the week we don't get one.

I always get my daily gift no matter what. Before I wasn't paying attention/ know how the daily gift worked. I thought for a while I was missing out on some daily gifts like you might be feeling. Once I started  figuring out the Reset is somewhere between 5:30-6pm est, It's easier to track. As for the gift through play time. I don't think the developer's even know of the exact time needed to see the gift pop-ups during play. That's what I think I remember reading in a post a while back, when the community was trying to narrow down the x amount of time needed.  I also have a feeling  it has to do with time plus "X" amount of collecting resource, or "Y" amount of food eaten etc.... I think the game takes into factor that you're playing the game and not just idling around in a server.

2 hours ago, Ryeknox said:

I always get my daily gift no matter what. Before I wasn't paying attention/ know how the daily gift worked. I thought for a while I was missing out on some daily gifts like you might be feeling. Once I started  figuring out the Reset is somewhere between 5:30-6pm est, It's easier to track. As for the gift through play time. I don't think the developer's even know of the exact time needed to see the gift pop-ups during play. That's what I think I remember reading in a post a while back, when the community was trying to narrow down the x amount of time needed.  I also have a feeling  it has to do with time plus "X" amount of collecting resource, or "Y" amount of food eaten etc.... I think the game takes into factor that you're playing the game and not just idling around in a server.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, we would be chopping wood or cooking and get a gift and start hypothesizing "Well, maybe you have to make this many meatballs" or "Maybe you have to chop so many trees during a given time".

It really has been funny, some of the things we considered XD

On 7/5/2019 at 11:21 PM, PSV_USA said:

Do you always get daily gifts? I know "daily" should make this question unnecessary, but we sometimes don't get one. Maybe one day out of the week we don't get one.

Yes, if i'm playing before 5:40 i'll leave the server logout and log back in and get it every single time.

The other drops were dropping once roughly every hour but sometimes the first one can take longer, after that 1st one finally drops the once an hour seems to resume. As @Ryeknox said when the devs were questioned about the old drop system they couldn't even give a clear answer , which had a lot of people scratching their heads(i wish i remembered the thread).

Archived