Unable to build things using refined metals?

I have started new colony on Arboria asteroid. I have refined some aluminium and iron but they are not listed as possible choices for building liquid pump or aquatuner. Is this a bug or have i missed something in the change log? I have not played for some time waiting for new content but i seem to remember that at some point refined metals were available choices for building.

Refined metals are available for some buildings, but not all. I find it odd that you can use say Iron on sensors, which doesn't overheat, but at the same time you can't use iron, only iron ore on the aquatuner. Surely you would like the +50 C overheating.

There is a mod, which allows refined metals to be used as metal ores, but it's one of those mods I would like to have in the base game.

Metal ores are used for almost all machines. Refined metals are used for automation and advanced wires. Steel and thermium can be used for both.

You never could build aquatuners or pumps out of refined metals. It was requested but only steel was changed to work this way.

Archived