Biggest problem with gas management: Pumps take forever to create a vacuum.

So gas management in this game is very frustrating for many reasons - but the number one problem for me seems to be with the pumps. The reduced power usage really helped, but there's is still one huge problem. When trying to create a vacuum airlock, or clear out a chlorine filled gas pocket, it takes way too long to empty out the room. The exponentially small amounts of gas intake by the pump might be a nice mathematical way to deal with gasses and pumps in theory, but the gameplay suffers a lot from it. I hate having to wait forever on rooms clearing out but also I hate being unable to create a satisfying airlock design without resorting to a water lock. It simply takes to long for the pumps to create a vacuum. I think speeding the last part of wherever equation covers this behavior will really improve the gameplay experience.

you can, if you want, use more pumps, or build tiles where you intend to create a vacuum, then using a waterlock or something similar to get dupes to deconstruct the tiles afterwards (i think you need to use exosuits, and NO flatulent dupes). but yes, it takes way too long to create vacuum.

right now we have normal and small pumps, but it would be great if we had big pumps too.

Its largely an issue because there is a tile of the large pumps footprint that doesn't actually take in gas. That causes the gas to have to spread to that tile before being absorbed, thus getting smaller and smaller. The breakdown of pump sensing and absorption is in the attached link. In a 4 tile cavity, 2 mini pumps will vacuum the space quicker than the large pump for that reason.

About airlocks. I've fiddled with an airlock design found on Reddit and came to this:

1.thumb.png.ecaf739c77d9a6611044ac0cb93b610e.png

Takes not so much place - 7x2+1 (roughly 7x3 counting piping). Full vacuum in ~6-7 seconds with outside gas pressure ~2 kg. Thanks to syrup-denced physics (resulting in pumping mkg packets) and lack of gas mixing this one is fairly reliable, allowing dupes to run straight through without waiting for actual vacuuming. In quite a few tests with various interior/exterior pressure only couple of gas packets broke through and only through the left doors (outside the main base).

Only weak spot I've met is slowpoke dupe blocking inner door open, adding non-venting space and causing aforementioned mkg pumping. Could be fixed with some pressure plate juggling (opening outer door opposite to the one dupe is snuggled up so he would step in that direction closing both doors) but for me this way is fine too.

Spoiler

Gas and automatics overlay:

2.thumb.png.8d395a857e50fa25135d6576f0be10b3.png3.thumb.png.50b7eafbe626ffb2e63f810afbf2cb86.png

Mini gas pump HAS to be upside down due to its (and ordinary pump's) range. Unfortunately pump chamber couldn't be mirrored due to that range again.

Atmo sensor is set to BELOW 0. Filter gate is 1-2 sec.

Set of gas bridges allow to pump several gasses simultaneously without blocking the pipe, big pump outtake prioritized.

Also: hello world.

Archived