Issue with Amulets and Staves

SpoonyBardIV

After reaching day 500 in my most recent Don't Starve world, I have noticed that Gem Amulets and Staves are becoming increasingly more important. I use the Magiluminescence almost exclusively as my light source for the Caves and Ruins, I use the Telelocator to get to my base after a long journey, I use the Lazy Explorer to make quick escapes, and I use the Chilled Amulet to more easily prevent overheating in Dry Season and Summer. Would it not make more sense to make these items refuelable? For example, I could use one Nightmare Fuel to restore one use of the Lazy Explorer or Telelocator Staff, and I could use one Nightmare Fuel to restore 10% of the Chilled or Nightmare Amulet's durability. I think it is a waste to have these non-renewable items be non-refuelable.

You're not explaining how those items become more important over time, and I'm pretty sure they don't; you may become more comfortable with them, but nothing's making having and using them more imperative.

In my opinion, the Magiluminescence is the only one of these items it makes sense to actually refuel, and mostly because it functions as a light source. The chilled and nightmare amulets and the telelocator staff are all already practically possible to renew as-is, leaving the Lazy Explorer. With the exception of the Magilumi for the previously-stated reason (and just the fact that what's done is done), I am definitely not in favor of ruins gems items being directly rechargeable with nightmare fuel, as obtaining nightmare fuel is hilariously trivial.

You're describing personal preference.

Underground I prefer a Lantern, Obsidian Spear, or Rainbow Jellyfish to giving up my Krampus Sack and all the extra loot I can haul back to the surface. I also never bother with a Telelocator; I just use Coffee and resurface in 15 seconds. I've never bothered with the Chilled Amulet either, when I can use a Luxury/Tropical Fan and not have to give up my extra inventory space. And I've only used the Lazy Explorer for swag or niche farming setups.

Most Ancient Tab items are bonus goodies for when you've conquered the game itself. You can go the whole game without them and probably do most everything with just as much ease and convenience.

Just now, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

You're describing personal preference.

Underground I prefer a Lantern, Obsidian Spear, or Rainbow Jellyfish to giving up my Krampus Sack and all the extra loot I can haul back to the surface. I also never bother with a Telelocator; I just use Coffee and resurface in 15 seconds. I've never bothered with the Chilled Amulet either, when I can use a Luxury/Tropical Fan and not have to give up my extra inventory space. And I've only used the Lazy Explorer for swag or niche farming setups.

Most Ancient Tab items are bonus goodies for when you've conquered the game itself. You can go the whole game without them and probably do most everything with just as much ease and convenience.

Yeah, but the Ancient items aren't renewable. We should at least be able to refuel them. In their current state, once they're gone, they're gone. Why should the most difficult items in the game to obtain be so easily used up?

2 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

I think it is a waste to have these non-renewable items be non-refuelable.

2 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Yeah, but the Ancient items aren't renewable. We should at least be able to refuel them. In their current state, once they're gone, they're gone. Why should the most difficult items in the game to obtain be so easily used up?

I think you are kind of missing the point here. BECAUSE they are rare and non renewable, they are seen as valueable, and BECAUSE they are rare and non renewable, people world hop to get more of them. Without those attributes ruins looting and world hoping would become a lot less relevant. With 3 DLCs now, it became much easier to renew caves by world hoping in one DLC world. Besides the only 2 gems that are non renewable that are worth it are green and orange gems (yellow gems are not that good in single player unfortunatly)

4 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Cause you can renew them. Hamlet was a godsend to me because I use it as my DLC for resetting the Volcano and Ruins.

If you'd like to have renewable Volcano, Caves, and Ruins, make sure you pick 1 of the 3 DLCs, and don't get too attached to your base in that one. Whenever you want to reset the aforementioned subworlds, worldhop it.

44 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

Cause you can renew them. Hamlet was a godsend to me because I use it as my DLC for resetting the Volcano and Ruins.

If you'd like to have renewable Volcano, Caves, and Ruins, make sure you pick 1 of the 3 DLCs, and don't get too attached to your base in that one. Whenever you want to reset the aforementioned subworlds, worldhop it.

I'm not sure that a bug that they've decided they're not fixing right now should be a valid counterargument. If you really enjoy base building and like all three DLCs it's a pretty crappy tradeoff anyway.

43 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I think just using teleportato 9 times will provide literally everyone with enough stuff, not to mention being able to get gems via tumbleweeds.

Just world hoping 3-4 times is enough unless you want to duplicate a huge number crafting resources with green gems. Tumbleweeds might as well not have a gem drop chance though. With a measly 0.02% chance (this are 2 orange or green gems in 10000! picked tumbleweeds) it is hardly even worth to include them here.

Archived