Gas mask is too underpowered

shadowDigga

It only lasts 3 days, drains 10 sanity per minute and is basically the only alternative to nettles (I'm not counting oscillating fan that makes you stand in the same place, effectively removing any interest of playing during lush season or seed pods that have to be farmed in ridiculous amounts and be eaten as often as wolfgang eats honey to stay in mighty form). Despite the fact gas mask stops hay fever, nobody is using it for that because ultimately it only helps sneezing - you'll turn insane with or without it.

For wigfrid it's only viable if she keeps fighting stuff to negate sanity drain, but otherwise - she already would be fighting shadow monsters all the time and get nightmare fuel instead.

Durability wise it's also absurd - just 3 days, that means not only you would have to deal with sanity drain and fight shadow monsters all the time but also make sure you have the materials to make more gas mask (as hound tooth and silk are harder to get in hamlet to count on sewing kit). And it only takes just FOUR gas masks to survive a single lush season.

You didn’t mention that it make you able to enter gas biome without taking dmg which the main use for it.

And i don’t think it suppose to be replace nettle in hay fever season, nettle is easy to get anyway in the 2nd season so I don’t see why buff it to make it good replacement for nettles.

32 minutes ago, Namelessgamer said:

You didn’t mention that it make you able to enter gas biome without taking dmg which the main use for it.

And i don’t think it suppose to be replace nettle in hay fever season, nettle is easy to get anyway in the 2nd season so I don’t see why buff it to make it good replacement for nettles.

There is already better version of Gas Mask in Shipwrecked. Why Gas Mask can not be equally good?

Also could you share some tips on collecting nettle vines? I always have problem with it.

as Wigfrid player, during Lush season I prefer staying inside while as I have never EVER used the gas mask to get inside gas biome,
(I have only once crafted it in my entire HAM playthrough)

You can just find the closest area to Aporkalypse Ruins in the Gas biome by checking the corners of Gas biome and find the closes ground where then you can just tank the gas damage and get inside.

While as the sneezing thing is at best a nuisance which I take like the weather and don't do anything about at all, during Lush season on Bramble Bulbs matter so you don't need to go outside too much.

4 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

There is already better version of Gas Mask in Shipwrecked. Why Gas Mask can not be equally good?

Also could you share some tips on collecting nettle vines? I always have problem with it.

That mask you need to go to SW then make another Skyworthy there which require too much time and effort, you can here just kill a peagawk and hammer the balloon to get cloth.

——————————

Search in pugalisk and aporklypse island for nettles, i found a group of nettles next to each other, in the 2nd season wait until the 2nd fog appear and go there they will bloom that time, you need at least 20 nettles to survive entire season without hay fever.

1 minute ago, Namelessgamer said:

That mask you need to go to SW then make another Skyworthy there which require too much time and effort, you can here just kill a peagawk and hammer the balloon to get cloth.

——————————

Search in pugalisk and aporklypse island for nettles, i found a group of nettles next to each other, in the 2nd season wait until the 2nd fog appear and go there they will bloom that time, you need at least 20 nettles to survive entire season without hay fever.

Well, you are right - you would have to create Seaworthy to get this mask. But that is not what I meant. If SW gask mask can be good and useful then why Hamlet gas mask has so many downsides/only few upsides?

——————————

Do you reccomend to plant them near your base or just come here and collect the wild growing nettle vines?

2 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

Well, you are right - you would have to create Seaworthy to get this mask. But that is not what I meant. If SW gask mask can be good and useful then why Hamlet gas mask has so many downsides/only few upsides?

SW mask doesn’t make you immune to hay fever which the downside in addition that it’s require too much time to make if you didn’t started in SW, Gas mask make you immune to both with sanity drain can be minimized by lotus flower.

13 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

Do you reccomend to plant them near your base or just come here and collect the wild growing nettle vines?

Yes you can do this, but it will only grow in the jungle turf or the dense turf.

5 minutes ago, Namelessgamer said:

Yes you can do this, but it will only grow in the jungle turf or the dense turf.

You can craft Dense Turf with Bramble Bulb and Ash which is hard as you need to wait for lush season, otherwise having nettles near your base is Extremely helpful.

3 minutes ago, Namelessgamer said:

SW mask doesn’t make you immune to hay fever which the downside in addition that it’s require too much time to make if you didn’t started in SW, Gas mask make you immune to both with sanity drain can be minimized by lotus flower.

But nobody uses Hamlet Gas Mask to be immune to Hay Fever, there are Nettle Vines for it. And even if, Hamlet Gas Mask makes you insane and only makes you immune to gas and Hay Fever when SW Mask has all the positive perks of Hamlet Gas Mask except making you immune to Fever.

1 minute ago, MWY said:

You can craft Dense Turf with Bramble Bulb and Ash which is hard as you need to wait for lush season, otherwise having nettles near your base is Extremely helpful.

The problem is it is hard to get Bramble Bulb without exploiting it (unless the bug that duplicates it after exiting and loading the game was fixed).

43 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

But nobody uses Hamlet Gas Mask to be immune to Hay Fever, there are Nettle Vines for it. And even if, Hamlet Gas Mask makes you insane and only makes you immune to gas and Hay Fever when SW Mask has all the positive perks of Hamlet Gas Mask except making you immune to Fever.

You missed the point that it’s faster here to get, in my world i use gas mask because 

1- I don’t want to travel to SW, waste too much time, it’s like spear vs cutlass, cutlass is upgrade to spear but it doesn’t make spear useless as cutlass is harder to get.

2- the only difference is sanity drain which is easy to minimize by lotus flower that found in the pond, so you are traveling all that way because you want to get rid of downside that easy to manage.

3- Gas mask: Easier to get but less reward

SW mask: harder to get = more reward.

43 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

The problem is it is hard to get Bramble Bulb without exploiting it (unless the bug that duplicates it after exiting and loading the game was fixed).

Then plant it in the nearest jungle turf to your base, go there during rain and collect all nettles.

1 hour ago, inferjus4 said:

If SW gask mask can be good and useful then why Hamlet gas mask has so many downsides/only few upsides?

Nothing should be measured using SW items as a yardstick. If people want to go and pick up the Particulate Purifier, more power to them, but I don't think Hamlet's native solutions to its problems should take it into consideration. The gas rainforest biome is clearly meant to be at least minorly troublesome to traverse and using the gas mask to deal with hay fever is clearly meant to be an inferior choice to nettle farming. Its latter functionality is and should be a consolation prize; the first lush season they throw you a bone because all of the nettle vines spawn in the world ready to pick, but you have to make preparations for the second because there's a very real possibility those same vines won't get enough water in time to produce more nettles. If you don't make those preparations, the gas mask, sitting around your base with a fan, or farming the inferior tea tree seed pods are your dunce cap for the season; do better next year.

8 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

I really don't like Hamlet seasons its like

you have one annoying to farm way to do this that you may not even be aware of or else you will be stuck at your house for the next 12 days

that's why I'm moving my entire city to RoG cause loot will be more useful and Seasons will awesome and lets not forget the awesome bosses that will make a visit every season, wanting to wreck your city, this will be quite the thrill!

Archived