Hamlet's characters graphic design doesn't seem to fit

Every time i go into the character selection screen I cannot help but notice what a big difference there is between the graphic design of the RoG/SW characters and Hamlet characters..

The difference is so noticeable, it just feels like the hamlet characters are mods instead of canon.. wilba doesn't seem to stray that much from the original design, apart from the significant amount of color she received compared to older characters, but wagstaff, wheeler and wormwood, they look like moded characters..

That's quite true. Wilba fits Hamlet very well, but Wormwood and Wheeler do not, they do not look like they would be from Hamlet world.
Wormwood's colors do not match with those of Hamlet and Wheeler's outlook is more like mountain climber than jungle explorer.
Next to Wilba the most Hamlet fitting character is probably Warbucks, but unfortunately he was removed (yet he is still in our hearts).
And Wagstaff is not Hamlet character, he is basic character and he fits the style of vanilla DS.

I disagree on Wagstaff, his graphic design doesn't fit at all in vanilla DS, all vanilla DS characters and SW characters have pencil brush design while wagstaff is all perfectly colored

Shipwrecked characters are pretty close to RoG, but Hamlet strayed too much from the original design

I noticed the disparity in artstyle between the OGs and Hamlet characters from the get-go, it's not hard to see. It's always bugged me, even in the Hamlet trailer the characters are fully colored in, simply looking at Wagstaff's little clip of animation and comparing it to any frame of a character from the SW trailer makes it so obvious that the artstyle has degraded for the sake of ease.

7 minutes ago, TheOnlyGuyEver said:

I noticed the disparity in artstyle between the OGs and Hamlet characters from the get-go, it's not hard to see. It's always bugged me, even in the Hamlet trailer the characters are fully colored in, simply looking at Wagstaff's little clip of animation and comparing it to any frame of a character from the SW trailer makes it so obvious that the artstyle has degraded for the sake of ease.

since when is using more colors easier. although some of the trailers look a little awkward.

43 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

since when is using more colors easier. although some of the trailers look a little awkward.

What he meant by fully colored in is that they went with full fill color instead of pencil brushes.. 

Look at wilson's hair, then look at wagstaff's hair

Before Hamlet, it has been years since they added a new character to DS and it’s completely different people working on it this time around. Differences are unavoidable.

It didn’t help Shipwrecked’s case that it was outsourced to a different studio, though I think the artwork was still handled at Klei.

8 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Before Hamlet, it has been years since they added a new character to DS and it’s completely different people working on it this time around me. Differences are unavoidable.

It didn’t help Shipwrecked’s case that it was outsourced to a different studio.

I think that SW is pretty fine, it felt fresh with new art style.

4 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

It happens when different artists start working on the game which I assume is what happened.

it was made by a different team while the others worked on DST

so yes your hypothesis was correct

3 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

it was made by a different team while the others worked on DST

so yes your hypothesis was correct

As mentioned above shipwrecked was outsourced, and the characters blend just fine with the classic ones, it's not about the team, it's about the art style

Here is the full rooster, take a look at how DS/SW characters are drawn, look how they were filled with color.. 

Take a look at hair of the following characters, Wilson, Wes, Walani, Warly, Wickerbottom, then take a look at the hair of the following characters, Wagstaff, Warbucks, Wheeler.. 

In DS/SW they look like sketches, in HAM, they look perfectly colored

characters.jpg

2 hours ago, Deprecious said:

As mentioned above shipwrecked was outsourced, and the characters blend just fine with the classic ones, it's not about the team, it's about the art style

i was saying the different team was the reason for the different art style

12 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

i was saying the different team was the reason for the different art style

I know what you meant, i just expressed myself poorly, i meant that being a different team doesn't excuse them for not respecting the actual game's art style.. 

1 hour ago, Deprecious said:

I know what you meant, i just expressed myself poorly, i meant that being a different team doesn't excuse them for not respecting the actual game's art style.. 

This. Why people even use a "different team" as a valid argument? It is overall just a poor excuse.

14 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

This. Why people even use a "different team" as a valid argument? It is just a poor excuse.

Because the same artists drew the original cast of characters and SW characters. Of course they all look similar, they were made by the same people. This is not the case with Hamlet though. There is an art style but each artist still draws with their own personal style.

26 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Because the same artists drew the original cast of characters and SW characters. Of course they all look similar, they were made by the same people. This is not the case with Hamlet though. There is an art style but each artist still draws with their own personal style.

Shouldn't new artists try to make their characters look like original ones if they want to copy the orignal style? Just asking, I am not complaining about the look of new characters, I am ok with it.

Archived