walani rework concept

walani is my singleplayer main and generally favourite character , i was super sad that she wasn't going to be ported alongside warly . i'm worried that if they count as reworks then it could be a long time before she gets prioritized for a rework over a vanilla character . but anyways here's my concept for it , especially since some people don't want her ported because they think she's boring ; even though she'd obviously get overhauled

positives :

walani isn't bothered much by monsters , strange things and bad weather ; receiving only twenty five percent of the normal sanity drain from all of the above

the unperturbed 

walani can craft her surfboard to easily travel across water , walani gains one sanity every three seconds while moving on her surfboard

walani is a surfer and actively enjoys surfing as a recreational activity

walani gains more sanity from sleeping , regenerates health when using the bedroll , and can sleep regardless of the time of day

walani enjoys naps and relaxing in general

walani becomes aggressive when she is insane , dealing twenty five percent more damage to everything except shadow monsters

presumably from being normally unperturbed she would have a severe reaction to being insane

walani overheats twenty five percent slower

walani is used to living in tropical regions where heat is more of a factor

negatives :

walani loses five sanity anytime an innocent creature dies nearby , walani loses twenty sanity if she murders an innocent creature from her inventory

walani is the most empathetic survivor and expresses compassion for a lot of creatures she encounters , so it is consistent that she would be bothered when innocent creatures die in her presence

walani silently loses half of one sanity each time she crafts or harvests something , and loses one sanity every two seconds while performing actions like mining and woodcutting but not fishing

walani actively expresses disdain for work and so it makes sense that everyday survival tasks would gradually wear on her psyche

walani takes twice as much damage from the shadows monsters

walani is used to being sane due to her unperturbed nature and thus is specifically unaccustomed to the dangers of insanity

walani loses five sanity per second while in the dark

based on her dialogue walani is nyctophobic , and being nyctophobic myself i can confirm this is exactly what it's like

walani gets cold twenty five percent faster

walani is used to living in tropical regions where cold isn't much of a factor , so logically she would be less durable to the cold

walani gets hungry ten percent faster

mainly just a flavour modifier , consistent with her enjoying eating and having a larger stomach threshold

summary : 

so basically the idea is that walani doesn't really go insane naturally via insanity auras like normal characters , but instead goes insane gradually just from performing activities . she can't take advantage of killing butterflies and other small mobs without losing sanity , and can't be in the darkness at all without losing a lot of sanity . but she can naturally regain sanity just by travelling around on her surfboard , and from sleeping regularly whenever she wants . she also heals from bedrolls , so she can also heal conveniently as well by sleeping wherever and whenever so long as she has food and a bedroll

the numbers for sanity gain and lose would of course need to be balanced in practice since this is just the concept i'm outlining

her surfboard allows her to travel across water easily , which makes it much easier to get over terrain as crossing lakes or rivers requires little effort . it also means she can go out and collect resources from the water very easily . insanity itself serves as risk reward because she deals more damage while insane but also is punished more for getting hit by shadows , however she can also easily go insane by standing in the dark or become sane by sleeping

keeping in mind that one of walani's main things is that she is just a relaxed person , so she wouldn't have any especially extreme abilities . generally all these perks are comparative to her personality and would be somewhat true even if she wasn't in a magical pun world

walaniprofile.png.ca8d69a3183ef97b0e0ac3e13e1d1fbc.png

33 minutes ago, mirrormind said:

walani is my singleplayer main and generally favourite character , i was super sad that she wasn't going to be ported alongside warly . i'm worried that if they count as reworks then it could be a long time before she gets prioritized for a rework over a vanilla character . but anyways here's my concept for it , especially since some people don't want her ported because they think she's boring ; even though she'd obviously get overhauled

positives :

walani isn't bothered much by monsters , strange things and bad weather ; receiving only twenty five percent of the normal sanity drain from all of the above

the unperturbed 

walani can craft her surfboard to easily travel across water , walani gains one sanity every three seconds while moving on her surfboard

walani gains more sanity from sleeping , regenerates health when using the bedroll , and can sleep regardless of the time of day

walani becomes aggressive when she is insane , dealing twenty five percent more damage to everything except shadow monsters

presumably from being normally unperturbed she would have a severe reaction to being insane

walani overheats twenty five percent slower

walani is used to living in tropical regions where heat is more of a factor

negatives :

walani loses five sanity anytime an innocent creature dies nearby , walani loses twenty sanity if she murders an innocent creature from her inventory

walani is the most empathetic survivor and expresses compassion for a lot of creatures she encounters , so it is consistent that she would be bothered when innocent creatures die in her presence

walani silently loses half of one sanity each time she crafts or harvests something , and loses one sanity every two seconds while performing actions like mining and woodcutting but not fishing

walani actively expresses disdain for work and so it makes sense that everyday survival tasks would gradually wear on her psyche

walani takes twice as much damage from the shadows monsters

walani is used to being sane due to her unperturbed nature and thus is specifically unaccustomed to the dangers of insanity

walani loses five sanity per second while in the dark

based on her dialogue walani is nyctophobic , and being nyctophobic myself i can confirm this is exactly what it's like

walani gets cold twenty five percent faster

walani is used to living in tropical regions where cold isn't much of a factor , so logically she would be less durable to the cold

walani gets hungry ten percent faster

mainly just a flavour modifier , consistent with her enjoying eating and having a larger stomach threshold

summary : 

so basically the idea is that walani doesn't really go insane naturally via insanity auras like normal characters , but instead goes insane gradually just from performing activities . she can't take advantage of killing butterflies and other small mobs without losing sanity , and can't be in the darkness at all without losing a lot of sanity . but she can naturally regain sanity just by travelling around on her surfboard , and from sleeping regularly whenever she wants . she also heals from bedrolls , so she can also heal conveniently as well by sleeping wherever and whenever so long as she has food and a bedroll

the numbers for sanity gain and lose would of course need to be balanced in practice since this is just the concept i'm outlining

her surfboard allows her to travel across water easily , which makes it much easier to get over terrain as crossing lakes or rivers requires little effort . it also means she can go out and collect resources from the water very easily . insanity itself serves as risk reward because she deals more damage while insane but also is punished more for getting hit by shadows , however she can also easily go insane by standing in the dark or become sane by sleeping

keeping in mind that one of walani's main things is that she is just a relaxed person , so she wouldn't have any especially extreme abilities . generally all these perks are comparative to her personality and would be somewhat true even if she wasn't in a magical pun world

walaniprofile.png.ca8d69a3183ef97b0e0ac3e13e1d1fbc.png

so she has temperature resistance/weakness equal to a pyromaniac due to her tropical experience? shes a better willow due to willow's clothing warmth debuff in winter :wilson_cry: )
Also all those negatives are most likely seen as positives by experienced players who take advantage of Dark swords and shadow armor

I do enjoy the idea of a surfboard but i don't think klei just wants to give everyone tiny fast ships to use in DST at least so far anyways

Personally, Walani is also a favorite of mine so I was also a bit worried to see her not travel into the constant alongside Warly.

I really like your ideas, but I feel as though if she were to be given an attack increase while insane it should only be raised by about 10% - 15% or so as I don't feel as though someone with her level of laziness would give off too bad of a strong punch. I'd also bring down the percentage of heat and cold modifiers to about 10% as to not compete with Willow too much.

I really like the idea of Walani losing sanity killing things as she seems to care about every animal deeply in the constant, whether they try to kill her or not. The idea of making her lose sanity quicker while working is also an interesting concept i'd love to experience.

A few things I'd personally like to keep on Walani with a rework is her wetness durability. I feel as though since she's lived out in the elements so long that she should be waterproof. (Not resistant to cold however!) I actually am a person who enjoys the concept of her losing sanity while putting ON wet clothes - it makes a lot of sense, honestly, as I am a person who loves to go out in the rain and get soaked, however, if I have to put on wet clothes it disgusts me...

The rework ideas you have are very interesting and would be pretty difficult for a newer player to handle and a bit of a fun challenge for older, more experienced players.

Just seems like a whole bunch of buffs and debuffs stacked together with little to no theme

I like the perk of benefitting more from sleep, giving a new source of health and sanity, and also being able to do it anytime. Though, maybe a slight cooldown so you can't just sleep away a whole season with enough food. Maybe instead of having a permanent 10% more hunger consumption, she spends a little more hunger from sleeping.

Having a portable surfboard would be pretty big as it is since the recently added Rafts are bigger and clunkier, her surfboard being exlusive to her would mean a lot. Being able to traverse small bodies of water wouldnt be too broken, but still valuable. So she could go and fetch simple stuff lying in water, like Bull Kelp.

I am going to quote what I like:

22 hours ago, mirrormind said:

positives:

the unperturbed 

This are what I think are the best of this post. Most of the perks I left out are for her to lose sanity doing normal stuff, when she is supposed to not get insane as easily, at the end of the day, it made no sense with itself, specially since it also increases her damage while insane (making her a insanity-based Wolfgang, and also very similar to Charlie mod out there). The rest of the left out perks were temperature related, who are fine in Willow since she is a fire-based character, not so much for everyone else considering how temperature is such an invisible stat, and hard to measure out. Then, the gets hungry faster could be added to her sleeping, as in she gets tons of health and sanity while sleeping, but also loses much more hunger.

The things I would add:

+Has a retractable claw that let's her pick things from far away, useful to grab bull kelp and other stuff in water. It also could serve to get birchnuts from birchnut trees (and also pinecones from pinecone trees) without having to chop them down.

+Is immune to the effects of wetness and wet items: she doesn't get more cold from being wet, no slippery tools, and no insanity. She still receives extra damage from electric attacks.

-She does some actions slower than most characters. Takes 1.5 extra time crafting, building, and harvesting (picking saplings, grass tufts, and such); also is slower while chopping, mining, and digging.

-Upon waking up from a nap, she is drowsy for a short while (similar to waking up from bearger's yawn of doom).

-Could be a strict vegetarian (can still eat butterfly wings, eggs, milk, and derivates from those). Not my favorite, but it fits with her love of animals and would add an opposite to Wigfrid's all-meat-you-can-eat-buffet, even if it is counter-intuitive with her being able to kill them (though straight up discouraging to kill in a game that is pretty much based on it, is usually a bad idea).

Archived