Wolfgang and Wigfrid

I apologize for not being word-perfect in English. I am not a native English speaker.

For a late game, there is no doubt that Wolfgang is the best fighter.

But in terms of farming all the game bosses in a new started game from day 1, I think Wolfgang does not overwhelm Wigfrid, unless you only play some extremely fast runs, such as 3-Days-Dragonfly or 5-Days-Beequeen, in which cases only Wolfgang can fulfill the duty. 

Generally speaking, Wigfrid has pretty much the same single player game pace as Wolfgang, as the following:
    Autumn:
          1-7 Exploration and Preparation
          8-16 Ruin rush, Ancient guardian
          17-20 Winter preparation, potentially Dragonfly fight, collecting chess pieces, etc
    Winter:
          21-25 Dragonfly
          26-35 Klaus, Deerclops, Spring preparation and Bee queen fight preparation, collecting chess pieces, etc.
          *Make sure chess pieces are collected before Spring*
    Spring:
          36-45 Beequeen
          45-55 Goose/Groose, to make 2 or 3 weather pains, Summer preparation
    Summer:
          56-70 Fishing, Antlion, shadow pieces, potentially Ancient Fuelweaver fight
    Autumn:
          70-90 Bearger, Ancient Fuelweaver if not done in summer, Toadstool if you think it is worthy
This schedule, which is still a decent fast-run, will allow a Wigfrid to finish all the game bosses at around day 70-80.
As for a Wolfgang, personally speaking he could be somehow faster at certain stages, but he could be slower as well. 

Meanwhile, Wigfrid is a much better fighter than Wolfgang, if you want to join a pickup game on a public server when the game has been running for like 10 days, or one or two seasons. In this case, most likely, there will be much less pigskins. A Wolfgang probably has to chop trees and make log suits, as he must save the limited number of pigskins (if he is lucky enough to find some) for fresh ham bats and umbrella. And as hunting in Winter or Spring is also much harder for a new coming Wolfgang who has no corresponding season equipment, his hunger issue will be serious. A Wigfrid, who instead can still start a ruin rush quickly and then farm the bosses, will be much more powerful than a Wolfgang.

Wolfgang in his current state is boring and has no downside. From a subjective point of view Wigfrid is the more amusing combatant, as well as having more personally favorable perks than being able to eat 2 meaty stews. Wolfgang needs a downside that makes him interesting, but not agitating to play. Plus, Wigfrid's flat 25% increase in damage as well as base 20% damage reduction is hella cool. Wolfgang gets 2x damage to utilize for short bursts of time. Personally, Wolfgang is not consistent enough yet is still too powerful to not be at least considered over Wigfroied. Overall, Wigwag is a more entertaining run, while Wolfgang just gets things done, and is super boring.

Yes, that was an intentional error.

Those are my fav 2 characters, no doubt Wolfgang can be more efficient. His 2x damage are not short bursts as someone said above :). Once you have o food source it's perma 2x if u ask me, or at least you ll avg 1,75 without trying too hard. 

For me i just choose whoever i fancy more in the moment, but usually if i go on a public i find wigfrid more helpful for the team, ppl enjoy free helmets alot. I rarely trully rush things, but when i do i Wolf is my pick. 

To your point regarding pace, i would say Wolf is undeniably faster if speed is your purpose, even early game. They both fun to play tho, and fine as they are imo, hope they're rework will not **** either up too much.

1 hour ago, Mack Swell said:

Wolfgang in his current state is boring and has no downside. From a subjective point of view Wigfrid is the more amusing combatant, as well as having more personally favorable perks than being able to eat 2 meaty stews. Wolfgang needs a downside that makes him interesting, but not agitating to play. Plus, Wigfrid's flat 25% increase in damage as well as base 20% damage reduction is hella cool. Wolfgang gets 2x damage to utilize for short bursts of time. Personally, Wolfgang is not consistent enough yet is still too powerful to not be at least considered over Wigfroied. Overall, Wigwag is a more entertaining run, while Wolfgang just gets things done, and is super boring.

Yes, that was an intentional error.

I don't find it boring to just get stuff done. It seems that's easily solved by just playing something that you find more interesting. If anything Wolfgang is my favorite character just because of that, he can kill stuff quicker than usual and I can focus on making my base pretty.

35 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

Those are my fav 2 characters, no doubt Wolfgang can be more efficient. His 2x damage are not short bursts as someone said above :). Once you have o food source it's perma 2x if u ask me, or at least you ll avg 1,75 without trying too hard. 

For me i just choose whoever i fancy more in the moment, but usually if i go on a public i find wigfrid more helpful for the team, ppl enjoy free helmets alot. I rarely trully rush things, but when i do i Wolf is my pick. 

To your point regarding pace, i would say Wolf is undeniably faster if speed is your purpose, even early game. They both fun to play tho, and fine as they are imo, hope they're rework will not **** either up too much.

Wig and Wolf are also my most favorite characters. I hope there will be no changes on them during the Klei updates this year.

The reason why I posted this topic is I recently realize that Wolf is not much better or faster than Wig in terms of "one year-all bosses-run".

The schedule mentioned above, is probably the best I can do by now. No matter what, as Mr. Bearger only comes on day 71(72 maybe) by a default setting, you have to spend at least 71 days to finish everything.

Yes, 1.75x damage is not hard to maintain during a battle with Wolf, let's take 1.75x. Then assuming a fight that takes 8mins (1 game day) to finish as Wolf, it will then take 1.75/1.25*8 = 11.2mins to finish as Wig, which means it takes about 3 more mins to do the fight. 

However, talking about a new started game from day1, or a pickup game on a public server, based on my personal experience, the fight preparation time for a Wolf could be significantly longer than a Wig.

Taking ruin rush for instance, 
- Wig needs 2 pigskins + 4 meats for ham bats, about 10 spider gland for healing, 20 cooked monster meats for food, 20 gold/rocks are actually on the way to ruins. Thus the preparation can usually be done by day 1-3.
- Wolf needs 2 pigskins + 4 meats for ham bats, 10 extra pigskins for football helms, 20 blue mushroom for healing, a decent number of frog legs/meat/monster meats/lichens for food, 2-3 cooking pot (and 1 ice box will be better) to set up as a ruin base. Thus the preparation can usually be done by around day 5.

28 minutes ago, CharliGoodman said:

- Wolf needs 2 pigskins + 4 meats for ham bats, 10 extra pigskins for football helms, 20 blue mushroom for healing, a decent number of frog legs/meat/monster meats/lichens for food, 2-3 cooking pot (and 1 ice box will be better) to set up as a ruin base. Thus the preparation can usually be done by around day 5.

i mostly agree on most of what you said, you can do it fairly quick with wig too, but you have to take into account that you can deal w groups of mobs such as dogs/spiders/pigs much faster as wolf as a regular time-saver, for your said year-long plan.

I only strongly disagree with the part i quoted here, you can ruin rush with wolf much faster that that, you only need 40-60 bluemush imo as far as healing and food goes, no way i'm going to make a cookpot if i am rushing. I agree that it does depend on how quick you find pigskin a little bit, as wig will find rocks and gold while searching underground anyway, but as for food and heal, nope.

Those that have been on the forums for a while will feel a strong deja vu here :wilson_ecstatic: nevertheless I love these topics.
In terms of raw power Wolfgang is definitely better, it was proven in many speedruns that you can find over youtube, which you couldn't do as efficiently with Wigfrid: mostly all fights with Wolfgang, a dark sword, and enough meatballs/pieroggi will end up with everything dead faster than with anyone else with the same equipment. 

Personally I like Wigfrid more, because she's a more "well rounded" character to my particular playstyle and lag situation: she can craft cheap durable helmets for everyone (Teamplay!), can tank in laggy servers(and Im always lagging  hard in publics) and requires very little to no healing in most games. And I'm far from the most efficient pro player or speedrunner, so I don't care to take longer to kill stuff, I care more to stay alive and just help the group.

23 hours ago, BeeClops said:

i mostly agree on most of what you said, you can do it fairly quick with wig too, but you have to take into account that you can deal w groups of mobs such as dogs/spiders/pigs much faster as wolf as a regular time-saver, for your said year-long plan.

I only strongly disagree with the part i quoted here, you can ruin rush with wolf much faster that that, you only need 40-60 bluemush imo as far as healing and food goes, no way i'm going to make a cookpot if i am rushing. I agree that it does depend on how quick you find pigskin a little bit, as wig will find rocks and gold while searching underground anyway, but as for food and heal, nope.

There must be some new skill that I don't know before. 

I am not sure to get 40-60 blue mushrooms quickly, if we need to use shovel, as earlier game days have very short nights. Considering it is a one year plan, it may take a while to re-gen those mushrooms. I don't know how long will it take, and if it is still easy to collect blue mushrooms for later battles. 

About group of mobs, in the first year of game, Wolf is much better in terms of farming frogs, I don't see the necessary on hounds/spiders/pigs:  
- Dogs: in the first year, actually even for late games, hounds are really not an issue, with or without traps, we can get rid them quickly by log-out/log-in game when hearing the warning sound;
- Spiders: on day-30 in the night, make sure you are in the spider dens area, Deerclops will then give us all the silks that we need for the whole year in the next 1 or 2 days, like 40 silks for Beequeen fight, 20 silks for fishing pod, etc. Then there is no need to fight spiders anymore, unless we need some monster meat to eat.
- Pigs: Wolf probably needs some extra pig skins for football helm (and probably food supply too, but I prefer frog legs), Wig don't. But after the ruin rush, i think bring 10 crowns (usually we collect 40-50 thuelecites which are enough for 20-25 crowns) back to ground will be enough for quite a while, considering Beequeen and Antlion do not require crowns, and Beequeen Crown can be used to fight AFW.

Archived