16 hours ago, augustinoi said:

klai said NO.

ask for a mod

I doubt a mod can make a complete networking system out of the blue. Its sure possible, but thats a whole addon rather a mod. One would have to change every ascpect of the games input mechanics. Beside that, it makes not really sense at all. The user is just giving orders, the dupes do the work. 2 Players would always interfere with each other.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:23 AM, SharraShimada said:

I doubt a mod can make a complete networking system out of the blue. Its sure possible, but thats a whole addon rather a mod.

There is a multiplayer mod for Rimworld. It is a massive undertaking because it has to transmit every player input on the network or the game goes out of sync. I wouldn't want anybody to do that to ONI. If you have the skill and time to do so, you should spend that time on making awesome mods, which adds a lot of value to single player games.

Besides I don't really see the point. You give orders like build this or mine this and so on and then dupes will do so without your interaction. My experience is that there is no bottleneck in assigning tasks. Instead if I assign too many, dupes will then wait maybe 10 cycles before they have time to do what you want them to do (assuming you ignore priorities). Since the bottleneck is the dupe work speed, not player inputs, adding more player inputs will not really affect the game. Instead it will just make players fight over what the dupes should do and "you stole the dupes I just assigned to do something". I can't really see something like this work well. Multiplayer generally have to be thought of at an early stage and planned into the gameplay. If you want a multiplayer builder game, then the only thing I can think of offhand is Factorio and let's just say it's a very different game.

Archived