Noise Pollution

So loud sleepers disturb other duplicants when they are sleeping, wouldn't it also make sense for loud machines to also have a radius of disturbance for duplicants if they are sleeping? Barracks and bedrooms would have to be further from mechanical equipment. Most machinery like energy producers, air/liquid pumps would have to be further away to prevent disturbed sleep. A way to counter the noise pollution could be to use insulated tiles to block the effects of the noise on duplicants, however, the airflow would not be very good as they would have to be surrounded in insulated tiles.

This is nice on paper but if noise only affects dupes when they're sleeping then it should not be added into the game because it will take a lot of time to implement noise radius for all machines and still it's too easy to deal with (no machines near bedrooms)

54 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

There is already a mechanic to discourage placing machines next to dupes: Decor. Its a redudant mechanic in my opinion

Decor is one. Another is the room requirements "no heavy machinery" for the barracks and bedroom.

While i`d like sounds to play a bigger role i have to agree it wouldn`t add too much to the current base building. But if there was a flying critter(maybe even a shinebug morph) with high decor or a positive morale effect that caused noises so that you have to keep it away of your barracks it would be interesting.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:23 PM, Alfons100 said:

There is already a mechanic to discourage placing machines next to dupes: Decor. Its a redudant mechanic in my opinion

I disagree that it is redundant. Honestly, I have played quite a few games not caring at all about decor. Decor can be ignored, while interrupted sleep has a greater effect on duplicants.

17 hours ago, DeadZed said:

I disagree that it is redundant. Honestly, I have played quite a few games not caring at all about decor. Decor can be ignored, while interrupted sleep has a greater effect on duplicants.

Why not just rebalance Decor? Make ugly things uglier? And make decor bombing with metal tiles and statues less effective

I think the OP is right that it would make sense for duplicants to have trouble sleeping near heavy machinery, simply from a "game should make sense" standpoint.  "Your snoring, I hate it.  I would rather sleep next to the coal generator and industrial gas pump." 

My thinking is that rather than the machine having a radius, the duplicants have a radius.  If they are within a certain range of an active machine (calculated like loud sleeper radius), then they get the debuff.  If there are no machines in the radius, then the calculation only needs to happen once per time they go to sleep.  This should be coupled with the idea that if they are woken up by a machine and they don't have a bed, they should try to move somewhere else before they try to sleep again, (like out of range of the machine that woke them).  This should also not effect narcoleptic nap, because that would just be horrible

5 hours ago, Zarquan said:

My thinking is that rather than the machine having a radius, the duplicants have a radius.  If they are within a certain range of an active machine (calculated like loud sleeper radius),

The loud sleeper seems to be more complex than just a radius calculate once when a dupe goes to sleep. The loud sleeper periodically causes a noise in his radius that wakes up other dupes that are asleep. Sneezeing does the same. Machines would have to create sounds like that periodically to have the same effect.

Rather than that there could be a "rough sleep" debuff based on machines around that reduces stamina gain from sleeping or halves/removes the stress reduction sleep gives for dupes sleeping close. This might work for narcoleptic dupes as well since it`s not a huge deal and doesn`t make them wake up. Would also require just one calculation like you mentioned.

Archived