Compost ingredients should be able to be chosen in compost menu

I think the compost pile should be reworked to be similar to a critter feeder or storage bin. Currently if polluted dirt is available dupes supply it to compost piles, period. What happens when the player wants to save polluted dirt but compost other items? I think the compost pile should have a drop down list where you select an ingredient (it would show how much you have available next to it) and then specify the amount you want composted. Each compost pile would have its own settings independent of the others but of course also have a copy settings button. If the player wants to compost 100 mealwood seeds, they could choose 100 on 1 compost pile or 25 and copy the settings to 4 total piles. 

6 hours ago, Daxterr said:

YES. I am sick and tired of composting my seeds after every 20 cycles, although a sane man probably just let them sit for a while. 

Same! A "forever" selection like the grill has would also be nice.

Bump, please do this. I would rather use Sage Hatches for polluted dirt, but I can't save the dirt unless I don't build a Compost, then I get over run with seeds. So I build a Compost, but have to watch it like a hawk to make sure its not filled with polluted dirt. Then destroy the Compost when I'm done removing seeds. Repeat cycle...

The best solution for this many times asked feature should be to used the already existing feature in storage : "compostable"

20190920063803_1.jpg.bbd80302e1f34db3d1a327062278141f.jpg

Currently, dupes don't seem to store materials if it's only checked on compostable.

But, using this list, if a storage is set to store, for example thimble reed seed, and this seed is checked in the compostable section of this same storage, then dupes should automaticaly use the seed inside this storage for the compost. :) 

In a way, it will be better than adding a menu to the compost, because we can use intelligent storage to compost only if there's more than a set amount, for example.

Archived