An Out of Body Experience: Wendy OR Maxwell Rework Idea

So after having an unpleasant dream about the implications of having to deal with a vegetable for the rest of my life I thought of a somewhat unrelated idea involving the ability for either Maxwell or Wendy to be able to remove themselves from their own body to temporarily have an "out of body experience".

To clarify what I mean by this I mean for the player to be able to leave their mortal body behind and take control of a separate entity to perform tasks while their original body continues to exist. For example the player performs this ability and leaves their body behind. The clone will perform a dangerous task and inevitably dies. The only thing that happens to the original body is maybe sanity and/or some health damage. In another scenario if the body dies while the clone is away then you perish like normal. Ideally there would be some more advantages to remote controlling a clone besides pretty much being a portable meat effigy kind of thing like Abigail's original AOE ability, or improved collecting, or a shared inventory between the remote controlled entity and the body. Regardless of what advantages there are to remote controlling a clone there is potential for interesting mechanics.

If you've got some thoughts about this idea please do post about it.

I really don't see this making sense to Maxwell... he isn't really into out of body experiences and his character never talks about such things

Wendy on the other hand... maybe.. she is obsessed with death so I guess that kinda works.. a small maybe

On 4/24/2019 at 3:03 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

I really don't see this making sense to Maxwell... he isn't really into out of body experiences and his character never talks about such things

Wendy on the other hand... maybe.. she is obsessed with death so I guess that kinda works.. a small maybe

I figured it would work with Maxwell since he could just be controlling the shadow clone and there wouldn't be much need for more animations since it's literally just Maxwell but black and seethrough. Seems thematically correct as well since it's implied that the Maxwell's seen in DS and it's adventure mode were just projections.

7 hours ago, ButterStuffed said:

I figured it would work with Maxwell since he could just be controlling the shadow clone and there wouldn't be much need for more animations since it's literally just Maxwell but black and seethrough. Seems thematically correct as well since it's implied that the Maxwell's seen in DS and it's adventure mode were just projections.

How could this work? Normal Maxwell stays in one place.. Unprotected? While a projection rambles around? I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense. Or do you expect normal Max to be godmode? Again. Nonsense.

We don't have split screen on PC. This is highly unrealistic. Probs a modder might be interested but I doubt Klei will. 

This would require quite a lot of coding and wouldn't be the best idea. Maxwell's Shadow Duelist just need to be buffed to not die in 1 second and Abigail slightly needs to be buffed and maybe even consider giving a Wendy a special item of her own. 

Well, it's kiiinda like an idea I had just today~

Gonna preface by saying that imo I feel like Wendy is in a really good spot already. The only current tweak I'd want her to have is a tighter tether on Abigail so she wouldnt get stuck on the occasional tentacle/etc if you're just running through a dangerous place. Maaaybe give her DS agro control for Abigail, instead of having to feint an attack for her to target something, but that could be a general change to followers in dst.
But anyway: Power after death! When Wendy dies, she can attack other creatures with time-of-day damage as a ghost like Abigail. If she takes too much damage (sad eyes) she becomes a regular, incorporeal player ghost again until her spooky-health regenerates sufficiently- maybe even all the way to max.

I'm... not really sure how viable death-perks could be, but I thought they'd fit very well thematically. Something interesting to add some flavor if she happens to trip up against some nasty beastie... wait, I worded that poorly.

Archived