Wheeler Feedback

I just wanted to say Klei you are doing good with the introduction of Wheeler! To be honest I never thought there would ever be an official DS character which could rival a mod character in terms of being fun to play as, but I was proved wrong! I'm glad you're making characters which are very unique and different from the usual which don't have very stand out perks, cons, or special character unique abilities (such as Wheeler's dodge).

Her dodge is great and very fun to mess around with and having a gun (even if it is weak) is great too. Some examples for her gun upgrades could be an upgrade which allows more ammo to be placed into her gun, but it takes longer to fire or an upgrade which allows her to shoot faster, but less lowers the amount of ammo that could be put in her gun or lowers the gun's damage a little, stuff like that. Personally, I think if she was able to upgrade her gun via different crafting recipes and stuff it would be awesome, but even without that it's really satisfying just shooting stuff!

Also, it would be great if she could fire poop from her gun like Wilbur can throw poop. Since there's lots of poop in hamlet and it's great to shoot poop in thy enemy's face :wilson_evil:.

I just hope her dodge and gun won't be nerfed in the future such as making her dodge go a shorter distance or making her gun even weaker I feel doing stuff like that would take a lot of fun away from playing as her especially with the big con of having less inventory space.. Maybe if there had to be a con for the dodge I guess making it not possible to dodge on spider web turf would be okay or something since it's too sticky to slide/dodge over it, but anything else would make it less fun.

I think her dodge and gun are fine the way they are just needs bug fixes such as the gun sometimes the slot for placing ammo in will stay there until you save and exit, mobs hitting her while she's in dodge still playing the hit sound effect, the dodge not always being preformed in the direction your mouse cursor is, ect.

Somethings which I would suggest which would definitely make her more fun to play as is if the button for her dodge is configurable and could be assigned into any key like most controls settings because having it always as right click action sometimes is a little inconvenient and personally I don't like seeing the mouse icon with a dodge action being everywhere all the time. Also, if there could be a configurable key such as R or whatever the player wants to set for reloading ammo into your gun (e.g. if you have 1 twigs in your gun pressing R would reload it back to full with twigs) that would be great too and make her much more fun to play as imo.

Anyways, I hope future DLC characters for DST and the character refreshes in DST will make characters just as fun to play and stand out more compared to each other like how Wheeler is :D!

30 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Somethings which I would suggest which would definitely make her more fun to play as is if the button for her dodge is configurable and could be assigned into any key like most controls settings because having it always as right click action sometimes is a little inconvenient and personally I don't like seeing the mouse icon with a dodge action being everywhere all the time. Also, if there could be a configurable key such as R or whatever the player wants to set for reloading ammo into your gun (e.g. if you have 1 twigs in your gun pressing R would reload it back to full) that would be great too and make her much more fun to play as imo.

i like this its alot like enter the gungeon with the controls please do this

maybe the Pew-matic gun should do 50 damage, which is have half the damage of the blow-darts (instead of 0-17-37 damage) and second she should have a build-in walking cane speed to make up for the fact she has -5 max inventory

7 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

maybe the Pew-matic gun should do 50 damage, which is have half the damage of the blow-darts (instead of 0-17-37 damage) and second she should have a build-in walking cane speed to make up for the fact she has -5 max inventory

I think a 50 damage ranged weapon which uses twigs as ammo might be too powerful to start with, but if she can craft her gun into different versions I would think it be great to have a version of the gun which deals more damage but has some other type of con to balance it out maybe it fires slower or has a chance to destroy the ammo or it might miss, ect.

Personally, the smaller inventory size doesn't bother me much (in fact while I was playing with her it took me hours to realize her inventory was smaller :wilson_ecstatic:) since she can wear a backpack, but I think a 5% or 10% faster movement speed would be fair as a trade off for 5 less max inventory as it's a pretty big con.

3 hours ago, Warbucks said:

Somethings which I would suggest which would definitely make her more fun to play as is if the button for her dodge is configurable and could be assigned into any key like most controls settings because having it always as right click action sometimes is a little inconvenient and personally I don't like seeing the mouse icon with a dodge action being everywhere all the time.

Yes this is needed, Sometimes I try to hammer something then I accidently use dodge, Wortox has the same problem.

BTW is "your last visit" bugged or something? it say your last visit was april 2018.

3 hours ago, Warbucks said:

I think a 50 damage ranged weapon which uses twigs as ammo might be too powerful to start with, but if she can craft her gun into different versions I would think it be great to have a version of the gun which deals more damage but has some other type of con to balance it out maybe it fires slower or has a chance to destroy the ammo or it might miss, ect.

Yes, it is a powerful but so is (Wicker's books) (Wx-78's stats/speed) (Wolfgang's 2x damage) (Woodleg's in SW), if you think that these buffs are too strong then give her lower stats like hunger-125, sanity-150, health-175

As is the PEA-GUN is nearly useless, twig ammo only does 17 dmg whereas a basic spear does 34; The ammo will have to change if the damage is 50 (only rock/sharp related ammo, like stingers) also a minor tweak I would like to have is 10 instead 6 max ammo.

The Navi-gadget is nice but is only useful early-game (it's fine as is)

Dodge is *VERY* situational (fire immunity better imo)

4 hours ago, Warbucks said:

Personally, the smaller inventory size doesn't bother me much (in fact while I was playing with her it took me hours to realize her inventory was smaller :wilson_ecstatic:) since she can wear a backpack, but I think a 5% or 10% faster movement speed would be fair as a trade off for 5 less max inventory as it's a pretty big con.

Really? you didn't notice that 1/3 of your max inventory is gone for hours!?!, that 1/3 is for your basic resources meaning she has to frequently go back and forth to empty her pockets more so then others.

5/10% speed is barely anything, besides 25% works wonders early-game (as a explorer who travels light), remains useful late-game +1 extra swipe plus dodge ability for combat and to top it off she can uses items that usually slow you down (-5 speed while wearing marble armor instead of -30).

Bottom line, Wheeler's pros are weak and don't make up for her downside (I honestly think Warly/Willow heck even Wes are OP compered to Wheely)

19 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

Bottom line, Wheeler's pros are weak and don't make up for her downside (I honestly think Warly/Willow heck even Wes are OP compered to Wheely)

Well as long as Wheeler's dodge and gun aren't nerfed I don't mind whatever buffs she receives since like you said the other characters can do much more broken things such as WX being a god in hamlet and Wickerbottom and Wolfgang always being really strong..  Having less inventory space is a pretty big con and for most people probably makes her unplayable..  Also, her gun seems to become useless in the season of allergies always resulting in missing your target, so yeah she may not be the best character... Though, I wouldn't be able to have fun in hamlet if it weren't for her because all the other characters for me are just too boring and simple :D!

19 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

Really? you didn't notice that 1/3 of your max inventory is gone for hours!?!, that 1/3 is for your basic resources meaning she has to frequently go back and forth to empty her pockets more so then others.

After playing for more than a couple hours there was moments which was very frustrating because of it :wilson_ecstatic:..

Personally, while I haven't played her myself, I think the main, and probably only thing she needs changed is changing the "travels lighter than most" to Penalize wearing a backpack instead of just reducing her inventory slots. That way she still has that inventory managment aspect, but doesn't just further solidify the nothign but Backpack meta.

58 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Personally, while I haven't played her myself, I think the main, and probably only thing she needs changed is changing the "travels lighter than most" to Penalize wearing a backpack instead of just reducing her inventory slots. That way she still has that inventory managment aspect, but doesn't just further solidify the nothign but Backpack meta.

what if she just doesn't wear backpacks that would be good

7 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

what if she just doesn't wear backpacks that would be good

Nah, she shouldn't loose the option entirely. She should just be more inconvenienced by them to encourage using other body wear. Also, trying to mass-farm wood or stone without a backpack would be a nightmare

4 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Nah, she shouldn't loose the option entirely. She should just be more inconvenienced by them to encourage using other body wear. Also, trying to mass-farm wood or stone without a backpack would be a nightmare

what if backpacks effected her speed?

negatively

Maybe instead of having less inventory space whatever she wears would slow her down based on how heavy it is or it could shorten how far her dodge goes or a mixture of both. Head and torso (I think including hand slot wouldn't be that good) slot stuff would be categorized into different weights or something similar how different types of ammo deal more damage in her gun and it could be like this.

No speed penalty

Spoiler

Torso

• Grass Suit

• Night Armor

• Weevole Mantle

• Empty backpack

Head

• Beekeeper Hat

• Battle Helm

10% speed penalty

Spoiler

Torso

• Piggyback

• Cactus Armor

• Thulecite Suit

• Seashell Suit

• Scalemail

• Mant Suit

• Backpack with an item in it

Head

• Football Helmet

• Shelmet

• Thulecite Crown

• Horned Helmet

• Mant Mask

15% speed penalty

Spoiler

Torso

• Piggyback with an item in it

• Snurtle Shell Armor

• Log Suit

Head

• Fancy Helmet

• Thunderhat

20% speed penalty

Spoiler

Torso (Wearing these should probably disable her from being able to preform a dodge)

• Limestone Suit

• Tin Suit

• Marble Suit

• Obsidian Armor

I didn't include every single wearable item in game, but with this con I think it would probably be better than having 5 less inventory space and make more sense with "travels light" con and put more emphasize on using her dodge instead of kiting. With this con I also could see a buff to her movement speed wouldn't be too overpowered.

7 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Maybe instead of having less inventory space whatever she wears would slow her down based on how heavy it is or it could shorten how far her dodge goes or a mixture of both. Head and torso (I think including hand slot wouldn't be that good) slot stuff would be categorized into different weights or something similar how different types of ammo deal more damage in her gun and it could be like this.

No speed penalty

Reveal hidden contents

Torso

• Grass Suit

• Night Armor

• Weevole Mantle

• Empty backpack

Head

• Beekeeper Hat

• Battle Helm

10% speed penalty

Reveal hidden contents

Torso

• Piggyback

• Cactus Armor

• Thulecite Suit

• Seashell Suit

• Scalemail

• Mant Suit

• Backpack with an item in it

Head

• Football Helmet

• Shelmet

• Thulecite Crown

• Horned Helmet

• Mant Mask

15% speed penalty

Reveal hidden contents

Torso

• Piggyback with an item in it

• Snurtle Shell Armor

• Log Suit

Head

• Fancy Helmet

• Thunderhat

20% speed penalty

Reveal hidden contents

Torso

• Limestone Suit

• Tin Suit

• Marble Suit

• Obsidian Armor

I didn't include every single wearable item in game, but with this con I think it would probably be better than having 5 less inventory space and make more sense with "travels light" con and put more emphasize on using her dodge instead of kiting, with this con I also could see a buff to her movement speed would not be too overpowered. 

its perfect

if they do that all they'd have to do is fix her art and bugs and she'd be all ready to go!

Archived