Explain the skills system to a filfthy casual

Despite me wanting to improve myself, the new update has me flabberghasted. The jobs have been turned into skills(which feels like a rpg), the skills won't instantly install the hats on(I have to do it manually), and I think I'm getting into my bad habits.

I think I have to restart my base due to not realizing how important berry blossoms are and I want to make sure I get the dupes to be content.

Where do I start now and how do I go swimmingly now with the skills system?

Play the game.  After a bit, your dupe will Ding!  If you have a jobs board built by then, you can open up jobs (J) and chose a skill. Viola! Your dupe has a new skill!

Hats appear to be cosmetic, rather than based on the skill you're currently training.  The new system is basically: Instead of choosing a skill and waiting while it trains, you chose the skill and have full benefits until you use a skill scrubber.

28 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Where do I start now and how do I go swimmingly now with the skills system?

Skills and jobs are very similar in a way but now instead of starting a job and having to work it before it becomes permanent you have to earn the exp (by doing "stuff") and they you just buy it straight up. Skills cost moral requirements just like jobs but unlike jobs which just cost you the moral of the highest level job of the Dupe, skills cost moral for every skill you acquire. L1 skills +1 moral, L2 skills +2 moral, L3+3, L4+4, L5+5. You can earn exp for a dupe faster if they do a job they have an interest in, interests also reduce the moral requirements by one.

If you want a good start build I tried making a lets play that still turned into a tutorial. It's optimized for hammering though to mid game as quick as possible though I tend to cut corners on food pretty tight for the first 15 cycles so I'm not sure it's for everyone.

Spoiler

And others had the complaint that 'now we never see the dupe's hair except when they go to bed.'  You can still assign hats to dupes based on their skills, you just have to do it intentionally rather than it defaulting to whatever the last skill the dupe trained was.  So, you can put a cowboy hat on your rancher dupe, even though you're training him to use exosuits.  They have a use, they're just not tied directly to the current skill in training anymore.

2 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

you have to earn the exp (by doing "stuff")

Like I said, this feels like a fantasy rpg now. So I suppose I just have to work with what you're saying. Still a little grumpy that I now have to use focus on the berry blossoms for my doctor setup. Thanks guys.

Archived