In light of gas conflict exploits, how do dupes breathing CO2 actually work?

Let's say that you are running a fairly typical base, with very oxygenated living quarters at 2kg per tile of pure oxygen.

A dupe is sleeping, and produce CO2 at 2 grams per second.  Do that breathing generate a CO2 tile? My experience says usually not - I usually don't see 2 gram CO2 tiles everywhere my dupes go in base, generally.

But after a while, a bunch of CO2 ends up at the bottom of the base. In a game where tiles only hold one element, how did they get there?

3 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

But after a while, a bunch of CO2 ends up at the bottom of the base. In a game where tiles only hold one element, how did they get there?

Duplicants store some CO2 before they release it.

Watch them and you will see them produce a CO2 tile from time to time.

49 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

Let's say that you are running a fairly typical base, with very oxygenated living quarters at 2kg per tile of pure oxygen.

A dupe is sleeping, and produce CO2 at 2 grams per second.  Do that breathing generate a CO2 tile? My experience says usually not - I usually don't see 2 gram CO2 tiles everywhere my dupes go in base, generally.

Try using an overlay.  The red blocks that magically appear and sink down (assuming good airflow) are CO2.  Maybe watch a chef or science dupe that is in the same spot for a bit.

As others pointed out, they release packets of CO2 bigger than 2g, at a slower rate than every second. At night in their bedrooms, you can see red blocks of unbreathable gas are formed in gas overlay.

Archived