Shove vole tutorial

3 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

I wonder if I made a mistake somewhere.

You don't really need that many voles. :) 

- They regularly pooped on my autominer so I put in several.

- I only have 4 voles alive and groomed. Eggs are moved to a hatchery, then newborn either replenish the breeders, or go to the kill room. Since newborn don't lay eggs or poop, this makes the killroom a lot simpler.

- Even 4 voles eat regolith faster than a single conveyor can supply it. 20kg/sec -> 12000kg/cycle. 4 voles should only destroy 9600kg (4800 eaten, 2400 pooped, each) but the conveyor keeps moving and they even hit and reset starve timers from time to time.

- I also tried mech doors under the feeders, and it seems to be working to help work around the bug. But it might just be too early to know for sure.

13 hours ago, biopon said:

- They regularly pooped on my autominer so I put in several.

- Even 4 voles eat regolith faster than a single conveyor can supply it. 20kg/sec -> 12000kg/cycle. 4 voles should only destroy 9600kg (4800 eaten, 2400 pooped, each) but the conveyor keeps moving and they even hit and reset starve timers from time to time.

- I also tried mech doors under the feeders, and it seems to be working to help work around the bug. But it might just be too early to know for sure.

I was just trying to speed up the Regolith removal so I had my dupes involved in collection, I'v gone from 7500 tons to just under 2000 tons and my game is running a lot smother. (Well after I culled the vole population back to 20)

If you put the robominer on the roof it should avoid getting entombed. I'm using the voles as my primary source of food though you are right even the standard 20 I run is way to many considering how much meat I end up composting. The way the starve counter resets even if you feed them just one calorie is a bit broken but very handy.

Please let me know if you can find some way of keeping the feeders from jamming up, maybe I should just run less voles and that would decrease the odd of this happening. Xtraordinaire on reddit linked to this vole pen design I'm planning on using a variant of it next play through, it's very elegant.

3 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

Please let me know if you can find some way of keeping the feeders from jamming up, maybe I should just run less voles and that would decrease the odd of this happening.

Well, with 4 breeder voles, my "open for a few seconds per cycle" doors have been working so far, and the feeders haven't jammed yet. Probably went through 50 cycles like that. I am loading very often though as I tend to get a crash on every other autosave.

The bad news is that the 4 breeders became 6, because sometimes they get temporarily stuck in the doors, and the dupes bring in newborn to get the in-room count up to 4.

I'm seeing the shipping receptacles jam up now. They have to be deconstructed and rebuilt every few cycles. This has been happening elsewhere in the base for a while, I guess it was time for the plague to reach the vole ranch. Note that I'm on QoL2 so this may or may not be an issue for you.

And I understand re. the regolith. I'm going to try to melt some of mine.

This is not sand. :p

image.png.187deac1899d924a4172ee71470dd7f6.png

2 hours ago, biopon said:

image.png.187deac1899d924a4172ee71470dd7f6.png

12 thousand tons of regolith!!! I think I know why your game is crashing every other auto save. With 7.5 my game was playing at a crawl. How fast is your game right now? Whats the times between auto saves? If your base is stable I would recommend taking 100 cycles and doing a massive regolith clearance with all your spare dupes carrying it to a large stable of voles. Changed my game from I just want to quit to -> actually quite playable.

2 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

crashing every other auto save

I looked in the logs, it was complaining about having to force a glass tile's temp above 0 kelvin (??). I rebuilt all my glass tiles in debug (all had reasonable temps), and no more crashes. 

I'm chugging along with about 6 fps... But yeah regolith is a priority now. I'm actually down 500 tons.

18 hours ago, JohnFrancis said:

12 thousand tons of regolith!!! I think I know why your game is crashing every other auto save. With 7.5 my game was playing at a crawl. How fast is your game right now? Whats the times between auto saves? If your base is stable I would recommend taking 100 cycles and doing a massive regolith clearance with all your spare dupes carrying it to a large stable of voles. Changed my game from I just want to quit to -> actually quite playable.

Exactly. I kinda lost interest in my 1600 cycle colony because of regolith. (again)

It's not impossible to remove but rather boring and the performance drops absurdly the more you procrastinate this task.

If you never explore the surface, no regolith will ever be rendered?

11 hours ago, Junksteel said:

If you never explore the surface, no regolith will ever be rendered?

I know critters and plants don't activate until you reveal them and I was under the impression that the space biome was the same. I have not tested this however. But from the state I find the space biome when first explored it would appear to be accurate. However after experiencing the power of solar and the meat of voles I would heavily advise you to exploit it. Just make sure the rest of your base is in order before you do. I really took my time, I think I was cycle 800 before I went up.

Archived