WX's Hamlet quotes feel out of character

WX is supposed to be a machine built in the early 1900s (late 1800s?). However, many of the Hamlet quotes refer to computers and the digital age, something WX should have no knowledge of.

For example:

Spoiler

Bug B'Gone - ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM

Royal Guard - BIOLOGICAL ANTIVIRUS HARDWARE

Disarming Tools - ANTIVIRUS HARDWARE

Magnifying Glass - SEARCH MODE ACCESSORY

Slanty Shanty - I HAVE ACQUIRED HOMEPAGE

Stone Slab - FLIP ROCK TO PERFORM SEARCH FUNCTION

Thundernest - IT CONTAINS SPAWNPOINT

Masked Pig - WARNING HACKER PROXIMITY NOTICE

Bandit Stash Map - SEARCH ENGINE FOR CURRENCY

Weevole - BIOLOGICAL COMPUTER VIRUS

Hatmaker - SELLER OF HATS FOR HEAD UNITS

Pugalisk - ERROR: MALWARE DETECTED

Pherostone - CONTAINS SOURCE CODE FOR INSECTOIDS

Key to the City - I CONTROL THE MAINFRAME

These are all the quotes I have issues with. All of them reference 21st century computers instead of speaking like he is from the time period Don't Starve is set in. Personally, it breaks the immersion. I think that these quotes should be replaced with quotes that fall more in line with the "soulless automaton". WX has some of the best quotes in the game

Spoiler

e.g. "BRING IT FLESHLINGS", "LOG(1) = 0", and "THEY LIVE IN THE WATER AND ARE HORRIBLE".

I think that these quotes should be changed to better reflect WX and his knowledge about the world. 

Suggested changes:

Thundernest - HOME OF HELPFUL FLESHLING

Pherostone - COMMUNICATION DEVICE

Bug B'Gone - ERADICATOR OF SMALL INSECTOIDS. GOOD.

Every quote describing a living think can't be "meatsack" or "fleshling" He genuienely thinks thunderbirds are useful.

Plus some of these quote changes you offered are pretty bland an/or derived from another quote, no offense

4 hours ago, Dalek said:

he had IT-related quotes way long before Hamlet, for example, about some trinkets in SW, I think, that’s what his character is supposed to be.

He's always had IT quotes, but those were few and far between (e.g. OUTPUT OF FIRE PROGRAM or NOT A DRM KEY). But, Hamlet has way more, and less interesting ones as well. It was fine seeing the occasional digital age quote among heaps of good ones, but when 25-40% of his examines relate back to the 21st century, it breaks my immersion.

8 hours ago, Averagewx78main said:

Every quote describing a living think can't be "meatsack" or "fleshling" He genuienely thinks thunderbirds are useful.

That's why I made a new quote where he refers to thunderbirds as useful? (He already calls them useful, I just want to drive home the point)

8 hours ago, Averagewx78main said:

Plus some of these quote changes you offered are pretty bland an/or derived from another quote, no offense

None taken, I assume you're referring to the pherostone's quote being bland. I think it has to, to lead players towards trying to communicate with Mants. Also, a number of WX's quotes are similar, nearly every examine for a machine is some variant of "FRIEND".

"Code", "Program", and "Engine" aren't actually that bad given that code and program are pretty generic and engine already was used in the difference and analytic engine concepts. Even something like mainframe I could see him saying...

On the other hand the references to more cultural specific modern computer stuff like DRM, hackers, and homepage are just a bit weird.

Archived