[Mod request] min/max temperature for compactors

There is a flaw in the way tasks are being assigned which makes it impossible (or at least I havent found a way) to arrange compactors in a way that hot, or probably hot materials are being delivered in one place, the normal temperature materials in the other. The flaw is that even if you put the compactor on the surface, so it will be closer to the material you are sorting / delivering, duplicants will sometimes choose compactors far from the material they are "compacting". This is because the material on the floor triggers the dupe to deliver it, but the dupe looks for compactors with highest priority around himself/herself, and not around the material. This ends up making dupes carry stuff 100 blocks or more away from the reasonable choice and in case of hot materials, infecting the otherways nice and cool compactors with heat. 

Same is with low temperature materials. It pains me to see that -40 celsius granite gets mixed with +40 celsius material as if I could (without fault) arrange my cold material to compactors in specific locations I could use them to cool water tanks, cool the base, etc.

If we had a min / max temperature setting for a compactor I could successfully keep the hot and cool stuff where it belongs, set up automations, to cool what i need to cool, to farm them as heat source or coolant.

Tasks are assigned based on where the dupe is. The nearest compactor requests a resource so the dupe can pass another one closer to the resource and deliver to the one he was originally closer to. It would be easy to fix if we could set a min/max temperture for some the compactors so they would just ignore too hot or cold stuff when requesting storage tasks. Otherwise we just need to rely on sweep orders and manual priority rearrangement to put the stuff where we want it.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Tasks are assigned based on where the dupe is. The nearest compactor requests a resource so the dupe can pass another one closer to the resource and deliver to the one he was originally closer to. It would be easy to fix if we could set a min/max temperture for some the compactors so they would just ignore too hot or cold stuff when requesting storage tasks. Otherwise we just need to rely on sweep orders and manual priority rearrangement to put the stuff where we want it.

Sadly whatever priorities you use dupes will keep mixing up the materials. Currently the only way is to set up separate living areas and not let dupes leave their areas. :)

What i mean is you need to manually sweep stuff and set higher priorities to different compactors when sweeping hot stuff and different when sweeping colder stuff. A lot of manual management. Then best lock access to compactors with hot stuff so they don`t use it for anything. And lawyas have compactors set to sweep only. Kinda annoying to do but managable.

What i mean is you need to manually sweep stuff and set higher priorities to different compactors when sweeping hot stuff and different when sweeping colder stuff. A lot of manual management. Then best lock access to compactors with hot stuff so they don`t use it for anything. And lawyas have compactors set to sweep only. Kinda annoying to do but managable.

True if i sweep the stuff manually and dont sweep different temperature stuff the same time it could work. 

Im hoping a modder will take up on this issue though:)

On 2/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, Sasza22 said:

not much harm in using most hot material as build temp are clamped to 40c.  hot regolith can be a issue for in base deodorizers.  You just want to store hot away from phosphorite and plastic.  I hate that compactors auto add new materials forcing you to fix it or face disaster.  I have all compactors outside base for this reason and keep space junk in vacuum

I've been trying to think about how to build a system in game to solve this problem.  

The solutions I've come up with aren't perfect, and I haven't actually built any yet.  They're mostly thought experiments at this point.

• Build a gate with a temperature lock at every entry to a 'hot' biome.  Maybe a small chlorine tunnel where a temperature spike from carrying hot materials would cause a lockdown, making the dupes drop their burden.  Probably needs an autosweeper to move the hot material back out, and would take a lot of testing to get it working correctly.
  • Have a 'storage chamber' run by autosweepers and rail systems.  Hot stuff goes through a cooling chamber until it gets close to nominal temperature, and dupes only really have access to bins that have already been cooled.  Would require mid-game training (mechatronics) and some power considerations.  Also wouldn't solve problems of dupes building in far locations.

17 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I've been trying to think about how to build a system in game to solve this problem.  

The solutions I've come up with aren't perfect, and I haven't actually built any yet.  They're mostly thought experiments at this point.

• Build a gate with a temperature lock at every entry to a 'hot' biome.  Maybe a small chlorine tunnel where a temperature spike from carrying hot materials would cause a lockdown, making the dupes drop their burden.  Probably needs an autosweeper to move the hot material back out, and would take a lot of testing to get it working correctly.
  • Have a 'storage chamber' run by autosweepers and rail systems.  Hot stuff goes through a cooling chamber until it gets close to nominal temperature, and dupes only really have access to bins that have already been cooled.  Would require mid-game training (mechatronics) and some power considerations.  Also wouldn't solve problems of dupes building in far locations.

easier to have compactors set to sweep in hot area and set to hot materials, specifically space materials

Just now, chemie said:

easier to have compactors set to sweep in hot area and set to hot materials, specifically space materials

That is a solution that would work as well.  I wasn't thinking of it because my brain was stuck on 'how to do it automatically,' and sweeping would make it somewhat micromanaged.  But thumbs up. :)

27 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I built most of this in a previous run through. I had a pair of duplicant checkpoints coming from the surface. The duplicants would wait at one of the checkpoints, and then periodically it would become closed off, causing duplicants caught inside to drop their materials. The materials would then fall into an inaccessible pit with an autosweeper, which would transport the material via rail through a cooling pool.

So I was getting all my surface materials at 20.C, very useful.

You need two checkpoints or else the pathing from the surface is broken completely.

I also built a base that had a hot area and a cooled area. Duplicants has access to one but not both. Autosweeper and cooling pool between the two. The two areas kept duplicants from transporting materials from the cooled area to the hot area for reloading and causing a loop.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

I hate that compactors auto add new materials forcing you to fix it or face disaster.  I have all compactors outside base for this reason and keep space junk in vacuum

This is one of the reasons i set all my compactors on sweep only except the ones that stroe stuff like seeds.

This is one of the reasons i set all my compactors on sweep only except the ones that stroe stuff like seeds.

Yup.  I have been on sweep only outside base for a long time.  Only takes one "why is my base so hot" to bring that one home.

Archived