Bunker Door placement

Any reason not to build as close to the top of the map as possible?  I see that @tzionut did an experiment which shows that you can suppress meteor garbage by building at the very top, but I would think that building just a few tiles down from there would give the most space for rockets.

2 minutes ago, Lawnmower Man said:

He built right under the red zone and showed that only one layer of junk accumulated. 

I meant what you are suggesting

how would lowing the bunker doors from that point offer more space for rockets?

1 hour ago, Lawnmower Man said:

I would think that building just a few tiles down from there would give the most space for rockets.

How building them lower would give more room? That`s kinda hard to understand. Anyway you can always put the engine lower.

7 minutes ago, Lawnmower Man said:

He built right under the red zone and showed that only one layer of junk accumulated. 

Actually it should be 2 layers. The top of the map has enough room for a dupe to walk. Above the map just ends so nothing can be there except meteors and rockets.

I did this on my current colony. It is two layers of debris above the no build line. It works, but in addition to the happy loss of a lot of regolith, I believe you also lose out on a lot of iron, You still get iron, and I haven't tested my theory, but I have a lot less iron on this colony than I did on the last one when I built lower. I intend to drop down around 8 blocks or so next time.

44 minutes ago, hacksaw12 said:

I did this on my current colony. It is two layers of debris above the no build line. It works, but in addition to the happy loss of a lot of regolith, I believe you also lose out on a lot of iron, You still get iron, and I haven't tested my theory, but I have a lot less iron on this colony than I did on the last one when I built lower. I intend to drop down around 8 blocks or so next time.

This kind of thing is what I was asking about, not just space for rockets. Thanks for the tip! 

My bunker doors for regolith collection are 3 tiles from the red zone.  The rocket bunker doors are adjacent to the redzone with 0 tiles in between.

Three tiles seems to be fine for regolith collection, I don't ever see it pile up to 3 tiles high, as the doors open after a shower and drop what is there.  As for iron, I've got a lot of iron, more iron that I can use.

I don't care for losing the iron and regolith in the rocket bay zone, I've got enough regolith and iron and i'd rather use the extra tile for the rocket.

I've noticed in my recent game that any areas where I've built bunker tiles close enough to the red zode that the regolith stacks and gets destroyed above it, I end up with random blocks of regolith forming below the bunker tile layer.  I think it's due to the way excess regolith stacks which is causing it to 'push' some through the bunker tiles to the next layer.  Very annoying as it means I have random regolith to dig out occationally in places it shouldn't be falling.  This only seems to happen upon loading the save.

21 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

My bunker doors for regolith collection are 3 tiles from the red zone.  The rocket bunker doors are adjacent to the redzone with 0 tiles in between.

Three tiles seems to be fine for regolith collection, I don't ever see it pile up to 3 tiles high, as the doors open after a shower and drop what is there.  As for iron, I've got a lot of iron, more iron that I can use.

I don't care for losing the iron and regolith in the rocket bay zone, I've got enough regolith and iron and i'd rather use the extra tile for the rocket.

This might be a happy medium. I'm not short of iron, either, but part of that is because I've got an iron volcano. Limiting the regolith is certainly a good goal.

Archived