Hello!

Been playing Klei games from day one.  I begged for DS to have Multiplayer back when it was released.  Jezzuz, in 2012-2013 now?  Gosh...time...

I must return to beg again.  I've played through ONI, several, several times.  I like to space it out every 5-6 months for the updates.

ONI is great.  Another game I never, ever, could get into was Prison Architect.  Despite giving it a shot probably once a year since release.

However, I just had the most glorious gaming session over the weekend.  Playing Prison Architect with two friends using their now 'released' multiplayer mode.

~~~~~

It ... was ... a .... blast.  I mean we were giggling with delight, and working so well together.  I cannot fathom playing that game alone.

~~~~~

In my humble opinion, ONI is a better game than PA.  Both from my own bias, as well as, the varied things to do.  This is though subjective.

But, there is no doubt that the two guys and I, had an absolute BLAST playing with each other.  And I could see this game type serving itself very well to ONI.

I'll return to ONI again in the future....But at this point, I may not until multiplayer becomes an option.  

Klei said in the FAQ of first QoL release:

Will there be multiplayer?
There are currently no plans to add multiplayer.

But I really think it could be as simple as having completely shared input to the game. Whether it’s build, mine, sweep orders, it doesn’t matter which player issues that order. The simulation just takes the orders in a first come first serve manner and executes.

I mean, if one player wants to build and the second cancels that build, so be it. If the second player wants to act like a stressed destructive duplicant and deconstruct everything, you may want to find another partner. Really, I think conflicting orders would be rather rare.

The forum has brainstormed a few ideas for a unique two teams of duplicants, but I do not think this added complexity is necessary.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, Ambaire said:

How would multiplayer even work for this game? I don't think it's implementable in its current form, nor desirable.

Dude, I posted a flat out example of how it would work.  Your tone is now equaled by mine.  Not my problem you weebly spend ur money on Magna and not other games.  Check out PA, find a friend, and try it.  BAM that's how ONI MP could work.

Everything is implementable.

Uhh, Looks like I find it desirable, as well as, some others.  I surely speak for my two PA friends as well.

Trolling is not a thing.  You play with friends.  If you host a public server, one must assume the responsibility that a griever will join in a fair likelihood.

Also - Klei, when y'all gonna learn?  I say that out of pure love.

I posted day 1 about DS multiplayer.  Which was also "Never going to be implemented" -- Now it is.  And I'd never play DS alone again.

BUILD MP INTO YOUR GAMES LOL

5 hours ago, michiko said:

Your tone is now equaled by mine.

That`s a terrible way of handling a discussion and leads straight to threads being closed.

As for multiplayer it`s not something easily done. If i lerned something about early access communities is that they value the time of the devs, hoping for the game to be the closest to how they imagine them. When a large feature like multiplayer gets suggested many of them react negatively fearing it might block or delay other stuff they hope for. Don`t be surprised by negative reactions from the communtiy.

In Don`t Starve multiplayer was added after the main game was finalized in it`s vanilla form. I don`t remember if Reign of Giants was out as well. If they want to add it to ONI i wouldn`t expect it getting announced or being worked on before the final release. But who knows what happens after a dlc.

In the current version it`s hard to imagine multiplayer (but not impossible). But i can easily imagine a dlc where multiplayer would be a part of the core game, like starting close to a launchpad with a barely working spaceship and using it for trade with other players.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

As for multiplayer it`s not something easily done. If i lerned something about early access communities is that they value the time of the devs, hoping for the game to be the closest to how they imagine them. When a large feature like multiplayer gets suggested many of them react negatively fearing it might block or delay other stuff they hope for.

*Speaking to all* And I think the Klei understands this as well, which is why they chose to add it to the FAQ. They've seen a lot of requests for multiplayer in the forums, but want to focus on creating a complete and well balanced game. I'm all for multiplayer, but definitely agree that Klei should focus on other things first. It's all about priorities, haha. As we say in my company "I have 10 things to do, they can't all be priority 1!"

Klei, in my opinion, is really good at prioritizing those things that really help the game. They have a list (it's probably a really, really long list) of things they want to do with the game. I bet multiplayer is on it, just way down at the bottom.

I think it is worthwhile to post suggestions on what the multiplayer game would look like, how would it work - things that would help the developers. That's what we, as members of this forum *flag waves valiantly in the background* must do to ensure the quality and the possibilities of the game that we play. :D

result.png.b0e0a161248ae96d1f4a16c7134d0bcd.png

Archived