Suggestion - Bucket and salt

I had an idea that we could somehow make salt, and that it could be used as an ingredient in the crockpot to increase the finished meals lifetime.We could construct buckets out of wood, and fill it with saltwater form the ocean, then put it down on the ground to let the sun evaporate the water away leaving a bucket of a little salt.If left out with water when winter comes, the bucket would get frozen and destroyed, getting stuck in the ground and the player would need to attack the bucket to be able to use the ground again.

I had an idea that we could somehow make salt, and that it could be used as an ingredient in the crockpot to increase the finished meals lifetime.

Well you're not alone, as I know there were several old threads on this topic that I've participated in. This was even before the Devs introduced "rot", as a means to help preserve meats.

We could construct buckets out of wood, and fill it with saltwater form the ocean, then put it down on the ground to let the sun evaporate the water away leaving a bucket of a little salt.

That was one suggestion. Other suggestions involved either adding veins of salt in the more barren stone areas of the island that the player could harvest with the pick axe or simply having the salt collected on the ground in stone biomes, in which case it could be either like flint (i.e. picked up by hand) or requiring the player to use a tool (pick axe or shovel).

If left out with water when winter comes, the bucket would get frozen and destroyed, getting stuck in the ground and the player would need to attack the bucket to be able to use the ground again.

While I agree it makes sense that water in a bucket would freeze during winter, why not instead allow the player to place it near an open fire, similar to hatching tallbird eggs, to have it melt again.In addition to collecting water (or saltwater, as per your suggestion), the bucket was included in several other threads. These ideas included using it to: collect beefalo milk (for cooking), collect rubber sap (from "rubber" trees, for crafting a slingshot), collect tar (from swamps, for crafting a boat), collecting/holding maple syrup (from maple trees). Not to mention it was suggested that a bucket of water be used to help crops grow (i.e. making watering your crops a requirement) and it was a component in craft a well (bucket + wooden boards + rope + cut stone). So, a wooden bucket has many uses.

Reminds me of MinecraftBucket = MinecraftBucket = Suggestion for Don't Starve

Well I've said it before, but so long as the bucket isn't metal and we can't carry lava in it... I'm fine with a bucket being in the game. If anything, I equate the pick axe, shovel, and axe more closely with Minecraft... and we already have those without issue.