may i get help with my slickster ranch

i found slicksters around 200 cycles ago but i couldn't do anything with them just yet. 50 cycles latter i needed oil because my little oil pocket i had was drying up so i deiced to excavate the area where the slicksters where and i found what i bereave to be the perfect area to mass produce petroleum and oil. but i cant seem to get the slicksters to eat more CO2,  because their not happy,  is there away to get them to be happy and eat more other then to build 3 stables? 

side note is there another way to use up more oil other then the refinery? or make use of oil in other ways? 

image.png

ps what can i do with nearly 5000 T of regolith 

Honestly the best option you have is to just make it not be a Stable.  There is a point where the game will stop counting more tiles and assume the space is permanently open.  In such a space, critters won't become unhappy, because happiness is largely based on how many tiles there are per critter.

As for uses for Crude Oil.....  You don't really want to waste it on the Refinery.  You lose 50% of the mass when running the Crude through to make Petro.  When you heat it into Petro instead, you preserve 100% of the mass.  Just be careful near the boiling point of Petro, because if it does convert to a gas it will become Sour Gas.  This can be converted into NatGas, but it is a dramatically more involved process that is largely dependent on manipulating game engine limitations to do at any significant rate.

I think the main problem is dupe access.  There's no reason to have a slickster ranch or a refinery so deep in your base.  You could move most of that much close to your beds.  Also it  will probably be much closer to your CO2 source.  If you need heat you can put some coal generators nearby which will give you heat and CO2.

As for the other uses for oil, it makes a great heat sink.  You can put a few thermo-aquatuners inside it to cool liquids like water, etc...  Then refine it when it gets near the boiling point to destroy the heat.  But that's not going to work if it's down there by the magma soaking up heat for no good reason.

Slicksters will not produce enough oil for it to matter. One slickster produces like 50kg of oil per cycle. If you want serious amount of renewable oil, you NEED oil wells - one oil well produces almost 2t of oil per cycle.

Slicksters are for (in order of importance): lime production, food production, CO2 removal, tiny boost in oil production.

As for the stable: you need at least 12 tiles of room per slickster. You can check room size in room overlay. It doesn't need to be an enclosed room, but you should keep your slicksters near the grooming station, otherwise they will take ages to get groomed.

I have a slickster stable where i have dumped all my co2 into for the last 1000 cycles. I didnt have too much co2 to feed them, but that's just how the dice rolled in my game.

I barely got ~5t of oil out of there. So the output is neglectable.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:35 AM, erso said:

"ps what can i do with nearly 5000 T of regolith"

@erso i don't have any Shove Voles in my current game because i started the game in September before the Shove Vole came to be. and i dont want to spawn them because i consider that cheating. 

@PhailRaptor

On 12/14/2018 at 5:56 AM, PhailRaptor said:

Honestly the best option you have is to just make it not be a Stable.  There is a point where the game will stop counting more tiles and assume the space is permanently open.  In such a space, critters won't become unhappy, because happiness is largely based on how many tiles there are per critter.

sorry. what i meant is that they get the glum debuff and they eat less. but i fixed that. 

As for uses for Crude Oil.....  You don't really want to waste it on the Refinery.  You lose 50% of the mass when running the Crude through to make Petro.  When you heat it into Petro instead, you preserve 100% of the mass.  Just be careful near the boiling point of Petro, because if it does convert to a gas it will become Sour Gas.  This can be converted into NatGas, but it is a dramatically more involved process that is largely dependent on manipulating game engine limitations to do at any significant rate.

that is a great point. i'll try to look into doing that more when i have more knowledge on how to cool things properly.  

@greggbert

On 12/14/2018 at 9:17 AM, greggbert said:

I think the main problem is dupe access.  There's no reason to have a slickster ranch or a refinery so deep in your base.  You could move most of that much close to your beds.  Also it  will probably be much closer to your CO2 source.  If you need heat you can put some coal generators nearby which will give you heat and CO2.

i dont think that a problem, but i will try yo make it closer to the base of mine because i can turn it into a major power source. i dont have a CO2 source in my base as i just get rid of it as soon as i can or boodle it for mushroom farms. and dont think i'll need to heat it, is there a reason to though?

As for the other uses for oil, it makes a great heat sink.  You can put a few thermo-aquatuners inside it to cool liquids like water, etc...  Then refine it when it gets near the boiling point to destroy the heat.  But that's not going to work if it's down there by the magma soaking up heat for no good reason.

this is an amazing i point you said, i can use this to cool my space base that i have at 130*c + and cool it and make it into power if i need to. 

@Coolthulhu

On 12/14/2018 at 9:25 AM, Coolthulhu said:

Slicksters will not produce enough oil for it to matter. One slickster produces like 50kg of oil per cycle. If you want , you NEED oil wells - one oil well produces almost 2t of oil per cycle.

i don't really need that serious amount of renewable oil, as slicksers are so far doing a good job keeping me top off with their 50Kg/Cycle since i nearly 15 of them now. 

Slicksters are for (in order of importance): lime production, food production, CO2 removal, tiny boost in oil production.

wait slickters turn into meat? yummy!  i now have nearly 5.5Kg of CO2 and they been keeping roughly at that point every now and then it will rise by .1 but they are working so far. and that tiny boost in oil is all i need as this is my first time really working with oil and petroleum in the game. im not sure what to use it all for right now.

As for the stable: you need at least 12 tiles of room per slickster. You can check room size in room overlay. It doesn't need to be an enclosed room, but you should keep your slicksters near the grooming station, otherwise they will take ages to get groomed.

i ended up just build 3 stables and keeping the doors open, i only need them to make more babies for more CO2 subbing. so if i just flood that area and keep one slicksters in its own sable and it will keep the babies a coming 

Archived