more efficient crude oil refinement

Hey Devs would it be possible if you could make a machine that automatically refines crude oil because the at manual oil refinery isn't making petroleum fast enough it taking too long, especially when the duplicant's are too  busy doing 101 things 

18 hours ago, vHero6271 said:

Hey Devs would it be possible if you could make a machine that automatically refines crude oil because the at manual oil refinery isn't making petroleum fast enough it taking too long, especially when the duplicant's are too  busy doing 101 things 

Move your oil refinery closer to your base.  When it's too far away, dupes tend to get distracted easily.  Also, make sure you have an engineer who'll prioritize operate jobs above the rest of the errands.  Oil refineries make a ton of petroleum, they're just finicky.

If you want to try making a janky mid-game oil boiler, and I heartily suggest you do try at least once, you can use a metal refinery for heat production.  Heat up petroleum, pipe it through oil to cool and back into the refinery.  Otherwise wait until you have access to space.

7 minutes ago, vHero6271 said:

i already did that 

and i already made it space  cause  i need to clear out out all the unnecessary gases

Well, when you start launching rockets you can get stuff from space that'll make aquatuners not overheat while boiling oil to sour gas.  The process of building rockets to reach those materials is practically a tutorial in boiler construction itself.

look i just want a machine that automatically refine crude oil so i could keep my petroleum generators , and my polymer press factory  running. i construct a  base on the surface i need the the plastic and power to run it 

If you want automated power out of your oil, you have to get some high-temperature materials first. The solution exists, you need to go to space first to get thermium for it.

Asking for an extra building to solve the problem is a bit unreasonable, IMO.

well looks like its up to the dev (if they even notice or care.) to make the decision 

i have a natural gas/hydrogen vent but there both dormant

this ins't just about power with the inclusion of the jetpack station im using  much more petroleum then i  making  i have a decent supply of crude oil but still...

I get it, you just want the oil refinery to run unmanned.  Your real problem is the buggy behaviour that makes it hard to keep manned.  Move it closer to your base, fiddle with priorities.  If you don't have a dupe dry humping it like an excitable chihuahua there's still more you can do.

The thread reads like "I want easy mode stuff and don't want to design around problems" vs "Design around problems".

The whole deal with oil power is that you get tons of this stuff and can easily produce more, but for most of the game, won't be able to produce it without dupes being involved.

If you have power problems, you most likely aren't using automation and isolation properly. You also don't need to mass produce plastic, you only really need plastic for high pressure vents and steam turbines, everything else is totally optional.

tl;dr git gud

5 hours ago, vHero6271 said:

well looks like its up to the dev (if they even notice or care.) to make the decision

They made the decision to have the oil refinery be operated by dupes. I don`t think adding a second one that does the same but requires no dupe labour would be a wise decision. What would be the point of having 2 of them?

It is entirely possible to keep an oil refinery manned 100% of the time with proper schedules (day and night shifts), enough dupes on engineer jobs with max priority in tinker and global priority on the refinery at 9.

I need to say i had a lot of bases that got stuck with no power when relying on petroleum generators. Late in the game you need to switch to solar as fast as possible. Petroleum is just too unreliable as a powr source.

Archived