• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

2 Screenshots

About This File

Insanillumination is designed to make the NightLight a more useful and valuable addition to Don't Starve. I have reballanced the crafting recipe so that it is a more viable light source. I have also retuned how the NightLight works and interacts with the player as well.

Key Features include:

-No longer drains sanity while standing near it

-New Recipe: 1 red gem, 4 logs, 2 gold nuggets.

-Now lights up on player approach if it was extinguished, however doing so costs sanity.

-Still consumes Nightmare fuel for maintaining light levels.

The main objective with this is to have the NightLight act as a path marker of sorts, or at the very least, make keeping an extra large base well lit without having to burn down a sizable forest.

What's New in Version 1.1   See changelog

Released

• Updated mod to api version 6 compatibility!
  • Version 1.1: Balance changes to sanity values for powering Nightlight.
  • Version 1.0: Complete Overhaul of the NightLight
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thx for the kind words man. I feel that now, the true limiting factor in the number of nightlights you can have is now the red gem.

After you play around with it some more, let me know how you feel about the varying light radius. Also, do you think I should add the new recipe to the description? or just add a screen shot with it?

Recipe in the description.

I think the radius is just fine. However, I have two ideas for improvement:

1.) I believe that the fuel level should start at second from max when first crafted.

2.) The light radius for the last 10 seconds is so small that it is unable to protect from an attack from Charlie. Might I suggest making the lowest fuel level's light contraction rate a little slower until the radius is a berry bush wide. After reaching that point, increase the rate of contraction to extinguish the light at the same timing as it is now.

Other than those two points, I don't have a gripe about this mod. Maxwell will certainly enjoy the new decorations in his base.

*edit*

One other thought, I haven't tested to see if night hands are able to steal the light, but I do believe they should.

Seems fair,except for that last bit: When does it extinguish itself? When it runs out of fuel, will it light on the player's approach when it runs out of fuel? Or does it extinguish when the player is away and come back on when the player is nearby? 

Hope you don't mind while I answer this for you CycloneSP

Seems fair,except for that last bit: When does it extinguish itself? When it runs out of fuel, will it light on the player's approach when it runs out of fuel? Or does it extinguish when the player is away and come back on when the player is nearby? 

The light only extinguishes when it runs out of fuel. If you re-approach the light when it is out, 10 sanity will be striped from your brain to add one nightmare fuel worth of fuel to the light. The light will not re-light automatically if it is extinguished while you are still near it. You must walk away and walk back.

close, but not quite. I have it set up that it works inversely proportional to how much sanity you have. The more sanity you have, the greater the drain and smaller the radius. The lower the sanity, the smaller the drain, and the greater the radius. I thought it would be an interesting mechanic to balance sanity levels instead of always being topped off, or always insane.

As for how the light levels work. I haven't changed that part of the code. I simply added a mechanic to the nightlight so that it powers up on approach. The rest is still vanilla functionality. I can, however, play around with the code some more and see what I can do.

close, but not quite. I have it set up that it works inversely proportional to how much sanity you have. The more sanity you have, the greater the drain and smaller the radius. The lower the sanity, the smaller the drain, and the greater the radius. I thought it would be an interesting mechanic to balance sanity levels instead of always being topped off, or always insane.

I see. I believe that approach breaks some of the machanics behind sanity. Namely the fact that being insane is suppose to make the game harder in many ways. I see the inverse reaction to sanity levels as a "reward" for being insane. If anything, the amount of sanity drained should increase while low on sanity due to the fact that the character's mind is in a more fragile state. This also makes a greater risk vs. reward situation when it comes to using the lights, which is always a plus in this game.

In any rate, I look forward to your next update so I can offer my unsolicited opinion on it. I like this mod since I play as Maxwell and he by far the best character for handling any sanity changes. I would like to have many, many lights around my camp and pathways, so I feel as though I should heavily invest my thoughts into further development...if you would have them.

Sure, by all means, as long as you keep things civil, I am always open to healthy critique.

As for the risk vs reward, I had considered the option of increased cost at lower sanity levels, but by doing so using multiple lights would quickly drop your sanity to nothing thus making them for use only if insane. Now while this could be a completely viable route, I was hoping to encourage walking a thin line between being sane and insane while still rewarding consecutive use over multiple lightings. I will probably have to re-evaluate the current numbers as I did play extremely safe with my first balance pass as to not drive ppl away from trying the mod.

I've been looking into the light radius thing, but a lot of this code still feels way over my head. That and I've been busy with real life and whatnot. I'll try updating some time over thanksgiving break at to at least get the improved sanity values for ignition.

Sorry it took so long to do something so simple guys. My apologies.

But anyway, as I briefly stated in the version update, I've altered the sanity costs for powering the new night light. I felt that I had made the sanity requirements too low making it almost free light at little to no cost. I have now up'd the amounts to make it more of a real decision as to whether or not one should use the light and when.

Don't worry, you are still rewarded for having low sanity when using it though.

Cool cool. I'll tell ya what I think after I get some real play time with it. Note though, I play as Maxwell. xD