Kill the wheezewort

No seeds. No replanting. (I think you need to keep them in the cold biome, otherwise the whole rock is just going to get hotter and hotter....)

Managing temperature is super easy when you can just plunk these down wherever you want. Without them temperature management would be much more challenging. 

Cold biome is cold because it starts with a lot of cold material, it's not that hard to warm it up, even with wheezeworts inside.

And replanting wheezeworts is a feature many have been asking for when it was not supported, I don't quite like the idea of removing it shortly after it was finally put into the game. 

11 hours ago, caffeinated21 said:

Managing temperature is super easy when you can just plunk these down wherever you want. Without them temperature management would be much more challenging. 

I don't feel it's "super easy", but maybe i'm not doing it well. I just have managed to have one seed at the moment and as far as i know for more seeds i should either dig in the ice biome in hope for seed or dig actual wheezewort. So the number seems limited.

I planted one in a room i want to cool down a little, it doesn't seems to do a lot.

So my answer is : maybe if you know how to use them properly they are powerful. If you are like me, they are ok to have but not wonderful. So maybe it's more a question of knowledge, and if you have the good knowledge, it's ok if something is more rewarding for players in this case.

10 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Cold biome is cold because it starts with a lot of cold material, it's not that hard to warm it up, even with wheezeworts inside.

And replanting wheezeworts is a feature many have been asking for when it was not supported, I don't quite like the idea of removing it shortly after it was finally put into the game. 

Let me put it another way: the game needs a heat sink, otherwise eventually the whole rock will overheat. 

I know people have asked for them. People ask for a lot of things they'd be better off without ;)

On 5/25/2017 at 8:21 AM, caffeinated21 said:

[T]he game needs a heat sink, otherwise eventually the whole rock will overheat.

Agreed.  Thermodynamically, geysers bring a lot of energy into the system, and there aren't a lot of ways to remove that energy.  That's been the bottleneck for me in long term games - water retains its heat for too long, despite any attempts to cool it, and everything starts to heat up.  The only heat sink in the game is the cold biome, which is perishable.

13 hours ago, Stinktooth said:

I totally agree!  In the thermodynamic sense, geysers bring a lot of energy into the system, and there aren't a lot of ways to remove that energy.  That's been the bottleneck for me in long term games - water retains its heat for too long, despite any attempts to cool it, and everything starts to heat up.  The only heat sink in the game is the cold biome, which is perishable.

Not gonna lie, melting the entire cold biome sounds like one hell of a megaproject.

NO!!!! I need the wheezeworts to keep heat under control. Moving them around is a challenge I enjoy. I do think that making them plantable is a lot easier than the old exploit. One thing to keep in mind is that even though they make things cold slowly, they will keep making things cold as long as they are in the room. I have actually drastically overcooled a couple bases in the old build. Haven't had a chance to fully explore how placing them works in the new build though.

On 5/26/2017 at 1:08 AM, LeadfootSlim said:

Not gonna lie, melting the entire cold biome sounds like one hell of a megaproject.

Really?  This is after ~30 cycles of pumping hot  water through a cold biome.  What am I doing wrong?  Can't pump in cold gas b/c it's weirdly already at 5kg/m²

Screenshot (107).png

Archived