Question about the Thermo Regulator's heat production

Under the tool tip for the Thermo Regulator, I have found that they are regularly producing over 60 W of heat.  Sometimes over 80 W.  The tool tip tells me that this heat is transferred from pipes, but I am having a hard time finding consistency in the way this heat transfer works.  So far the variables seem to be pipe construction material, whether or not the pipes are insulated, and the actual mass which is being pumped through the thermo regulators.

The temperature of the gas doesn't seem to be a determining factor, because I have had to deal with overheating thermo regulators confined in a heat exchanger set up while pumping hydrogen at 220 K.  If anybody has more information about this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share.

I think it's intended to be a cumulative effect - every time it does "work" it adds another X amount of heat (can't remember the exact amount off hand). Basically if it's permanently working and not being externally cooled - it will overheat. 

Normally i go for the trio of wolframite gas permeable tiles for the base, wheezewort cooling surrounding air, and cold liquid dripping over it. Overkill but it works. Also make sure you make it out of gold of course :)

14 hours ago, clamjam said:

Under the tool tip for the Thermo Regulator, I have found that they are regularly producing over 60 W of heat.  Sometimes over 80 W.  The tool tip tells me that this heat is transferred from pipes, but I am having a hard time finding consistency in the way this heat transfer works.  So far the variables seem to be pipe construction material, whether or not the pipes are insulated, and the actual mass which is being pumped through the thermo regulators.

The temperature of the gas doesn't seem to be a determining factor, because I have had to deal with overheating thermo regulators confined in a heat exchanger set up while pumping hydrogen at 220 K.  If anybody has more information about this, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share.

1kg hydrogen = 2.4j, -15C = 2.4 * -15 = -36W, +"normal operation", that's how I guess it is calced, but seems it is changed after recent update...

I was monitoring my tool tip on the thermo regulator and found processing a unit of hydrogen it went up to 100W. The way they are working right now makes them very tricky to use. they are getting so hot, In wonder if I should set them into a tile of water and let them make steam

Weirdly, the one unit that requires thermo switches most does not allow me to place it in a way that it actually recognizes that the unit is glowing dark red. it still tells me the temperature is ambient in the 40 degrees range while the regulator is 280+

7 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Why make it from gold when making it from wolframite would lead to transfering its heat faster?

Because Gold has a Thermal Damage bonus, and Wolframite doesn't - The melting point of the material is not affecting its thermal damage point. Objects that are hotter can also spread heat a bit faster.

Maybe try multiple thermo switches around each regulator? Perhaps the ambient gas movement is causing the switch to be "upwind" of the regulator and thus doesn't get to read its exhaust temps...? I've had trouble with thermo switches not being exactly reliable, they always need tweaking for each machine.

I have personally been testing out an open air cooling radiator loop. if you loop some of the cooling pipes around the thermal regulator, it actually keeps it cool enough to never overheat. now that i have 230C+ hydrogen running through the pipes, my thermal regulators temps have been sitting below zero.

limiting the output on the thermal regulator makes it only fire when full reducing energy cost and overheating issues. the system has a few other devices hooked up to it that have nothing to do with the cooling tower itself namely  2 water purifiers and a pump or 2581A6E986E94BB46D991804B82FAA2C430B4C596

it also doubles as a redundant air supply for my base for best eeasy early usage of a thermal regulator have the out bound valve set to less than what the air pump can pump. this will keep the regulator pumping full loads instead of partial and will slow the regulators heat risks on this set up the regulator is only fireing once every 5 seconds if the hydrogen is below the thermal switches setting. yes the  hydrogen passes without interruption but that's to make sure the system dose not stall when it get to temprature 

Archived