How to add players to whitelist.txt

I've run into an issue on my dedicated server, I've recently made reserved slots for the server and made a whitelist.txt.

The issue is that I don't know how to format it. I've added all the Klei IDs into their own line (no commas or anything else really). However it seems like only the last ID works. I can't find any sort of guide that fixes this issue so any help would be appreciated.

Example of what I did:

ID_1
ID_2
ID_3

So, Whitelist basically on DST means everyone on the whitelist is Guaranteed a spot on the server, If you want to do a whitelist-only server I would make sure the amount of people on the whitelist matches how many spots there are on your server, or don't use the whitelist but instead create a group for your dedicated server. Hope that helped :)

@DarkKingBoo  Now my problem has been solved. You can refer to my configuration files. cluster.ini and whitelist.txt must encode in UTF-8. Hope that helped .

cluster.ini:

[GAMEPLAY]
game_mode = endless
max_players = 2
pvp = false
pause_when_empty = true

[NETWORK]
lan_only_cluster = false
cluster_intention = social
cluster_description =
cluster_name = Jianrry's World
offline_cluster = false
cluster_password = 123456
whitelist_slots= 2

[MISC]
console_enabled = true

[SHARD]
shard_enabled = true
bind_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_ip = 127.0.0.1
master_port = 10888
cluster_key = defaultPass

whitelist.txt:

KU_AQ9RWcB2
KU_jBMPMmx4

Instead of relying on whitelist and limit the max_players why not remove the white lists and password protect it OR make a private group with you and your friends in it and set the steam_group_only to true. This way if you get one more friend in you don't need to share a password or have to restart (stop and start) the server to increase the slots limit or whitelist someone.

[Server Admin] Associate your server with a steam group

On 4/6/2017 at 4:06 AM, cezarica said:

Instead of relying on whitelist and limit the max_players why not remove the white lists and password protect it OR make a private group with you and your friends in it and set the steam_group_only to true. This way if you get one more friend in you don't need to share a password or have to restart (stop and start) the server to increase the slots limit or whitelist someone.

[Server Admin] Associate your server with a steam group

This does not solve my problem, I know I'm late in replying but I didn't get notified people posted here for some reason.

If I wanted to make it just between friends, I would. However the reserved slots are meant for admins to be able to come to the server in case something goes wrong, which is annoying because I'm getting blocked out of my own server when all the non-reserved slots are filled. I want to keep it open to the public, I just want to fix whitelist.

I don't know if your post was directed at my original post or someone else about making a whitelist only server so forgive me for my lil rant: I find its pretty annoying when people don't answer the question because they just assume something, telling me that just making it password-only or steam group only does not solve the issue I presented. I'm sure if I included context, I wouldn't get these kinds of answers but imo when I just asked how to get whitelist working, people should answer just how to get it working.

On 4/4/2017 at 0:26 AM, Jianrry said:

@DarkKingBoo  Now my problem has been solved. You can refer to my configuration files. cluster.ini and whitelist.txt must encode in UTF-8. Hope that helped .

It was encoded in UTF-8 without BOM. I made it just UTF-8, I'll update this post on whether it still works or not.

@DarkKingBoo It was addressed to you. The whitelist basically works like this. Let's say the server has 12 slots and you reserve 2. On the server 10 regular players, meaning people with no administrative powers, will be able to join and the remaining 2 slots will be free. Any regular player trying to join the server will be greeted with server full or slots reserved, something like this anyway.

Now, if one of your friends with administrative powers wants to join the server he/she will take one of the 2 remaining reserved slots and then there will be only one left. If a second friend with administrative powers joins then all reserved slots will be taken and as you would expect server the server is now full.

If you want to step in to do somehting why don't you just use the console if you have to bans someone really fast or do a rollback?

PS: I would appreciate if someone corrects me if I said anything incorrect about how i imagine reserved slots with whitelist would work.

Hi @DarkKingBoo,

try to follow my guide with explain about reserved slots:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635281092

check "FAQ - How to reserved slots on your dedicated server?"

if you use linux,mac,or windows server, check also my other guide about reserverd slots

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ToNiO44/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides

i hope that's going help you ;)

On 4/22/2017 at 2:23 AM, cezarica said:

@DarkKingBoo It was addressed to you. The whitelist basically works like this. Let's say the server has 12 slots and you reserve 2. On the server 10 regular players, meaning people with no administrative powers, will be able to join and the remaining 2 slots will be free. Any regular player trying to join the server will be greeted with server full or slots reserved, something like this anyway.

Now, if one of your friends with administrative powers wants to join the server he/she will take one of the 2 remaining reserved slots and then there will be only one left. If a second friend with administrative powers joins then all reserved slots will be taken and as you would expect server the server is now full.

If you want to step in to do somehting why don't you just use the console if you have to bans someone really fast or do a rollback?

PS: I would appreciate if someone corrects me if I said anything incorrect about how i imagine reserved slots with whitelist would work.

I'm aware of how it works, I've made 3 whitelist slots for 3 people. However my whitelist.txt seems to give only one person in the list the reserved slots, so the other two (including me) don't get to use those slots. My problem is that I'm not listing the names properly (supposedly anyways).

I do use the console whenever I do get locked out of my server, but working around the problem isn't going to fix the problem I've stated (Also I'm not always around, so when another admin tries to join but can't, things get frustrating). As I stated before, the point of this thread is to fix that specific problem I have.

I know I replied to you with a bit of frustration before, but I should've appreciated that you're trying to be helpful by providing alternative solutions to the problem. I'm sorry if I came off as rude.

15 hours ago, ToNiO55 said:

Hi @DarkKingBoo,

try to follow my guide with explain about reserved slots:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635281092

check "FAQ - How to reserved slots on your dedicated server?"

if you use linux,mac,or windows server, check also my other guide about reserverd slots

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ToNiO44/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides

i hope that's going help you ;)

I've found this guide before, but unfortunately you didn't show how to list multiple people (Unless I missed something). As stated above, someone on the list is getting access to the reserved slots, however only that person has access to those slots. Theres 3 slots and 3 people listed in whitelist.txt. Do the ids need to be seperated with a "," or what?

Getting it to work with just one id is fine, but getting multiple ids to access those slots is my problem.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:36 AM, DarkKingBoo said:

I've run into an issue on my dedicated server, I've recently made reserved slots for the server and made a whitelist.txt.

The issue is that I don't know how to format it. I've added all the Klei IDs into their own line (no commas or anything else really). However it seems like only the last ID works. I can't find any sort of guide that fixes this issue so any help would be appreciated.

Example of what I did:

ID_1
ID_2
ID_3

I've had the same problem and speaking with others it seems to be a common problem.  It seems the whitelist.txt only uses the last ID. In effect, it means you can only have 1 whitelist slot.

I'd like to know if there is a fix for this yet.

Archived