Taming the beast (Geyser build)

So after many, many hours. I've finally got this working. Free, infinite water, with minimal downsides.

There are actually a few downsides to be aware of though, should you try to do this too. Firstly, this water is HOT. Pumping it around without cooling it off first will quickly overheat your base. You can solve this either one of two ways. Pump cooled gasses through the water to bring the temp down, or run ALL your pipes through insulated tiles. Preferably, those tiles should be made from abyssalite. I opted for doing both.

I made a few mistakes in this build, so I might be trying this over again.

Firstly, I didn't realize until after I sealed the room off that you can build pipes behind the geysers themselves. I should have snaked that gas pipe through every single tile instead of just going around the outside edge.

Second, insulated gas pipes cool off the tiles they're passing through. The path the gas takes in and out of the chamber SHOULD have been insulated. Because it isn't, the tiles are somewhere like -40C, which in turn is actually freezing the water pipes that share that same space. I can't open that wall to fix the pipe, or the water pressure will burst it and shoot water everywhere.

Interesting things I learned here: There seems to be a bug with gas flowing through pipes. The temperature of the gas resets each time the gas moves, meaning that the contents of the pipes never actually heat up. Also, Wheezeworts are capable of over-cooling themselves and they become stifled somewhere around -70C to -80C. There go my dreams of building an oxygen purification system that doesn't use any power.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

9 minutes ago, Vilda said:

With long enough pipe it will arrive barely lukewarm. Though I had to remember to use insulated pipe where it went around my garden :)

True, but it would bother me that the heat along the pipe would eventually build up and become an annoyance. I guess a few transplanted wheezeworts along the path could probably deal with that though.

Just now, darkflames9 said:

Wait, shouldn't you be using regular pipes?  Isn't the whole purpose of insulated piping that they don't lose heat when you pipe things through?

The gas pipes inside the geyser chamber are regular pipes. The gas pipes outside that chamber are insulated so that I don't accidentally supercool anything except the water.

12 minutes ago, darkflames9 said:

Ah, that's what you meant.  Yeah, this looks great.

That was the idea. Unfortunately, even insulated gas pipes will still cool down tiles if they are running through them. I should have either used abyssalite insulated pipes, or put the pipes behind insulated tiles. :(

Thanks for the compliment though! :D

5 hours ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

Pump cooled gasses through the water to bring the temp down, or run ALL your pipes through insulated tiles. Preferably, those tiles should be made from abyssalite. I opted for doing both.

Or you could run the water through insulated pipes. 

Can I ask how did you manage to make a room around them without flooding the entire asteroid?
I prefer to leave this beasts wild and sealed off.

Spoiler

20170318231139_1.jpg20170318231142_1.jpg

Note that all other tiles of water are just ~1000kg. Nevertheless that amount of water could fill a square of ~151 by 151 tiles, and the steam (at 10kg/tile) an area of ~349 by 349 tiles.

Since the games runs in 64 bits I guess I don't need to fear any overflow.

A thought: If you could compress water at such level (without making their nucleus collide) and then release whatever force that maintains this compression. What the explosion would look like?

Cool stuff, well done ;)

What I find annoying is that you cant plant the carrots where you want. You have to think ahead and drop them with a compactor... I hope its not meant to stay like that ! I guess some will say it would be too easy otherwise.

2 hours ago, Octyabr said:

Or you could run the water through insulated pipes. 

Can I ask how did you manage to make a room around them without flooding the entire asteroid?
I prefer to leave this beasts wild and sealed off.

Hide contents

20170318231139_1.jpg20170318231142_1.jpg

Note that all other tiles of water are just ~1000kg. Nevertheless that amount of water could fill a square of ~151 by 151 tiles, and the steam (at 10kg/tile) an area of ~349 by 349 tiles.

Since the games runs in 64 bits I guess I don't need to fear any overflow.

A thought: If you could compress water at such level (without making their nucleus collide) and then release whatever force that maintains this compression. What the explosion would look like?

Omg, thats a lot of water.

I guess I got lucky because the entire geyser area on my map was flooded with contaminated water and it was only like, 1500kg per tile. I'm guessing that ridiculousness only happens if the geyser starts with empty space to fill?

4 hours ago, PickPay said:

Cool stuff, well done ;)

What I find annoying is that you cant plant the carrots where you want. You have to think ahead and drop them with a compactor... I hope its not meant to stay like that ! I guess some will say it would be too easy otherwise.

I agree with you. I would really like to be able to just plant the damn things. I had to wait for a lot of cycles for those things to take root, one at a time too, because theres no way to split off just one of them once they're stacked.

On the other hand, I hope they don't just add them to the planter as a crop, because the crops have to be replanted every so often, and I love that this room doesn't need an airlock, because it's maintenance free.

EDIT:

This just crossed my mind. Rather than the ability to put wheezeworts into planters, I would MUCH rather have the ability to build dirt tiles where I want them. Then I could design farms how I want. In fact, if the devs would just take out planters entirely and replace them with dirt tiles, I'd be pretty happy with that.

6 hours ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

I agree with you. I would really like to be able to just plant the damn things. I had to wait for a lot of cycles for those things to take root, one at a time too, because theres no way to split off just one of them once they're stacked.

On the other hand, I hope they don't just add them to the planter as a crop, because the crops have to be replanted every so often, and I love that this room doesn't need an airlock, because it's maintenance free.

EDIT:

This just crossed my mind. Rather than the ability to put wheezeworts into planters, I would MUCH rather have the ability to build dirt tiles where I want them. Then I could design farms how I want. In fact, if the devs would just take out planters entirely and replace them with dirt tiles, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Oh yea planting 1 by 1 is a real pain. Makes me regret harvesting them early...

Dirt tile sounds good !

Archived