Water boiling question

So.. Im trying to make a Contaminated Water - Steam - Pure Water system, but it isnt working and i dont know why.

I built an isolated room with a gas pump for steam, a liquid pipe for the water and some batteries to boil it.

The room temperature is 159.6 C and contaminated water evaporation point is cca 120 C. And it doesnt evaporate into steam..

Whats wrong here?

Normal.png

Heat.png

The cracked door tho:))

Saw a youtube video (Hello Lacy) on ONI steam and she said something about heat transfer to pooled water being really tricky and that it's better to drip the water on the hot equipment.  Just a thought but maybe if you replaced one of the batteries with a liquid pump that led to several water vents, one above each battery?

I recently tried boiling water using batteries.. The key is to have lots of batteries.. I think.

My first try was rather unsuccessful when I used 5 batteries. I think heat is generated only when you "charge" a battery. So having fewer of them would make the boiling slower and the water may cool instead whenever you're not charging the batteries. Not sure what the sweet number is.. but my current setup uses 10 batteries.

I wasn't planning on getting to steam water purification yet, but I did already have my batteries set up, so I did a quick test for you. IMO, you'll need a lot more batteries. Also, use a liquid valve and turn the flow rate down to the very minimum. On the bottom-left of the screenshot you'll see I just put a drain so excess water leaks out. You'll want to catch any runoff and pump it back into your reservoir (or locate your batteries above your reservoir). The soonest I saw it turning to steam was at battery #6. You can see "Steam" on my mouse tooltip.

JFL3eBX.jpg

1 hour ago, Targa_X said:

I wasn't planning on getting to steam water purification yet, but I did already have my batteries set up, so I did a quick test for you. IMO, you'll need a lot more batteries. Also, use a liquid valve and turn the flow rate down to the very minimum. On the bottom-left of the screenshot you'll see I just put a drain so excess water leaks out. You'll want to catch any runoff and pump it back into your reservoir (or locate your batteries above your reservoir). The soonest I saw it turning to steam was at battery #6. You can see "Steam" on my mouse tooltip.

JFL3eBX.jpg

I did not need nearly that amount to handle creating steam.  I used 10 batteries in a completely enclosed area.  The spout for water is on the far right under the tooltip (screenshot was to show a bug with ice).  I produce steam perfectly fine with this setup.

Screenshot 2017-03-02 14.28.24.png

48 minutes ago, Ecu said:

I did not need nearly that amount to handle creating steam.  I used 10 batteries in a completely enclosed area.  The spout for water is on the far right under the tooltip (screenshot was to show a bug with ice).  I produce steam perfectly fine with this setup.

That's a lot of ice. How quickly are you are you purifying water with that setup? Just one valve set at 10g/s?

46 minutes ago, doot_toot said:

That's a lot of ice. How quickly are you are you purifying water with that setup? Just one valve set at 10g/s?

I currently don't have it valved at all, however, the only thing I had inputting contaminated water was some CO2 scrubbers.  So you may want a tiered system to handle higher input.

8 minutes ago, Ecu said:

I currently don't have it valved at all, however, the only thing I had inputting contaminated water was some CO2 scrubbers.  So you may want a tiered system to handle higher input.

Definitely going to try this later.

I mean, it's at least 30kg a day, that's tonnes. Two of those would keep a DL dupe alive.

5 hours ago, Targa_X said:

JFL3eBX.jpg

Ahah. I must expand my room then. My question now is, where will you place the gas pump(s) in the image? It seems that you dont have any space left.

And a second one, what density has steam in relation with other gases?

Just another data point, I experimented a bit last night and had a room with 3 batteries, a hydrogen generator and a water pump recirculating the water and it was producing steam but not much.  It's too bad the hydrogen generators are so janky right now because they are way hotter than batteries.

I've had a successful steam room with about 25 batteries and i believe I was able to make 100g of steam per second using your method OP. So it certainly is very efficient to a certain extent.

The thing is I believe I just now found a more efficient way... I was reorganizing my electrolizer/hydrogen generator room and ended up deconstructing the generator. Seconds later I noticed all my plants were overheated. Turns out the material from the deconstructed generator was heating up the room temperature insanely (it was 400kg copper ore). It was at the temperature of the generator when functionning (about 926) and slowly cooled down.

I then built a room with a hydrogen generator, powered it up, deconstructed it and poured contaminated water over it. The amount of steam I collected in such a short time span was tremendous compared to the battery stacking method.

So ya'll might want to play around with this method!

Good luck

The problem with this method is that i must rebuild and deconstruct the generator in order to maintain high temperature in the room. And this means a door which will lead to water/gas leaks; the only way to avoid this is by pouring an ideal amount of water on the hot material and waiting for vacuum, then redo the previous steps. A lot of time is wasted IMO.

But what if i dig straight to the magma core and make a room above it? Will the insane temperature lead to mass-production of steam? I can place some gas pumps and let the magma do the job for me.

2 hours ago, Chaboots said:

I then built a room with a hydrogen generator, powered it up, deconstructed it and poured contaminated water over it.

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Building 2 tiles up instead of a door is a much safer and completely leak-proof.

And how will i get in to collect the material left to cool down and replace it, then?

By deconstructing the tiles and rebuild as needed. If I want something sealed of, I sure as hell don't build a door. I wall it in, and should I need to undo or redo something, I just break down the wall. It's a much more safe and permanent way of dealing with such things, and unlike door it's actually steam proof

I'm experimenting with different magma (or actually really hot igneous rock) boilers and sedimentary rock condenser designs but trials are promising.

Even more promising is liquid oxygen thermoregulator precoolers by running the air through a loop in -60 degress rock at the top first before the the thermoregulator. Cuts energy cost to 1/3rd or 1/4th.

Magma tends to cool to ingenous rock when uncovered but that rock is at about 1100°C making steam there is definitely viable if you find an accessible patch.

And yes, there can be a quite cold biome up top. I am thinking of making a cold storage there but the trip length...

Archived