Show Us Your Colony

Been playing my 3rd attempt in this Colony Named Apex i;ve done well so far and continue to push forward learning about some of the fringe mechanics . At current the colony Is stable i had a few waves of die out plummeting to 1 colonist on 2 occasions but she recovered and gotten stronger water of course seems to be the main issue i think i've found a new way to make dirt although ill need more time to see the idea out but it has to do with C02 :).  you cant see it in this shot but i also built a condensing line for Contaminated 02 which purifies it into Clean 02 I also recycle Bathroom and stress vomit back into the system so no need for bathrooms or stress relief  need that precious H20 

Colony 216.png

Thats void, it will destroy any gas that comes in to contact with it so it can be used to dispose of CO2,its normally found at the edge of the map, beoynd the neutrounium, but  a small piece of it can spawn like that,so that its reachable

5 hours ago, Mavryck said:

@Playerovich,

What is this !?

Az.jpg

I've found two next to each other, I plan to use them alongside a couple of coal generators.

THISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINETHISISALINE

Another weird found: Neutronium impenetrable? HA! Nothing can match the destructive power of water!

20170305020729_1.jpg

On 6.3.2017 at 7:37 PM, Octyabr said:

Another weird found: Neutronium impenetrable? HA! Nothing can match the destructive power of water!

20170305020729_1.jpg

okay, that amazing

now i will go and use this to mine myself an acces to the void

This is my 4th attempt, the best so far. Cycle 277 reached, pretty young colony, i could say. Going strong with 15 dupes. The only problem at this moment is pure water production. I ve built a pretty big steam room near magma, but in the same time Im forced to use some sand for purifier because i cant keep up with the consumption rate (and im using a lot of valves to reduce it, but still ...).

This is the overview:

C.png

North part, with water tanks(the one in the left is directly connected to the steam chamber) and coal generators. I send the produced carbon dioxide to all my plant rooms in case of chilling.

Spoiler

N.png

East part, with 2 of my 3 plant rooms, completely sealed from the rest of my colony.

Spoiler

E.png

South part, allocated to storages and batteries. Im planning to expand this one..

Spoiler

S.png

West part, with an emergency water tank from the start, a contaminated water tank waiting to be boiled, and the "contaminated oxygen to pure oxygen" room. Im using just one thermoregulator and looping the gas in it untill -190°C.  

Spoiler

W.png

10/10 Would build again.

Im waiting for the upcoming update.

Weird finding #2

You can only do two thing with dead duplicants: leave them where they died or bury them.
Currently you can't use their bodies for anything, (see my sig) but apparently you can make use of their bones...

Spoiler

20170311070731_1.jpg

I almost couldn't catch it as it passes through solid tiles. Hurriedly falling to the molten depths of this asteroid.

This is my 6th world, starting to get more efficient.

Here's a couple things I'm doing here that I don't think I've seen others yet try:

1. Every dupe gets their own bedroom with dedicated cot, massage, and dinner table. My goal here being to take everything that a dupe can be 'assigned' and put it in their bedroom. This allows for easy scalability, as more bedrooms with the same design can be added vertically without needing to expand anything else (such as dining room, massage room).
  2. Every 2 bedrooms has their own planter farm, with enough plants to support the 2 dupes from that row. So far 3 planters for every dupe has given me more than enough food for the colony. Having planter farms organized this way is also scalable, so when adding more dupes, you're also adding more planters for the number of dupes.
  3. Putting the electrolizers *outside* of the living quarters means that all of the Hydrogen polution stays outside the living quarters, and the living quarters is almost just 100% pure oxygen (there's some carbon dioxide in the basement but that's about it). To get the oyxgen from the electrolyzers to enter the living quarters I set up Gas Pumps with air filters to funnel only pure oxygen into the living quarters.  This is my main source of oxygen early on, and helps keep the air inside pressurized, as I'm only *adding* air into the living quarters, without needing to remove the hydrogen. This will also make air cooling really easy when I get to that step later on.

layout.png

A dozen restarts, lots of refinements and this will be the base for the full play-through. It supports 16 Dupes and can sustain itself until it runs out of water, around 800 - 1000 cycles in the current version and significantly longer with the geysers in the next patch.

FLMMe73.jpg

Oxygen generation with three Electrolyzers on top, two Deoxydizers as backup in the bottom. Pumps to distribute the oxygen in base, a Thermo Regulator to keep it cool. Next layers are farms and storage, then living quarters and dining area. Further down the massage tables, lavatories and showers (which will probably be also lavatories in the next world). Power generation and Air Scrubber at the bottom levels.

Batteries are in the bottom corners to keep the heat away and the central clean water pool in between. A little detail, the pool is very shallow and also has ladders in there. This means, no tile is marked as "Unreachable" and the numbers for the amount of water is accurate.

Air Scrubber, showers and lavatories are all closed systems, they only need power and some sand to work. Looks like one Dupe produces 5 kg Contaminated Water per day from the lavatory, 5 kg from the shower and 4 kg to process the CO2. Around 3 kg sand required to recycle the water, which means around 50 kg sand per day for the complete base. This map had around 150.000 kg sand or several thousand cycles before having to switch to a non-sand way of recycling.

xXrmKjD.jpg

Here gas piping and the current gas distribution:

NjdZapm.jpg

3VYmorD.jpg

Also full disclosure, this was a test run in preparation for the next patch. Normally I would run out of Algae and Coal right about now and would have "only" about 150.000 sand. But no water was cheated in and everything was build in regular mode.

Figured out that you can easily make little electrolizer rooms with a gas filter -- pure oxygen goes into your living quarters, and the hydrogen goes into the hydrogen power generator.  This means you don't need pumps in the ceiling of your base, as the hydrogen gets collected & converted into power immediately at the source (electrolyzer room).

gas.png

gas2.png

somehow i didnt found this thread accidently made another :?. well got the game some day ago, and lovin it. i finished setting up my new electrolyzer just in time, before the algae shortage happened. Now I need to fix the food problems, that slowly arise

ooni-2017-mar-13-002.jpgooni-2017-mar-13-003.jpgooni-2017-mar-13-004.jpg

So...much...water. I doubt I'll run out of sand until somewhere past cycle 1000 but I'm currently digging to lava to get going with steam purification since there's not much else to do. Only running with 4 duplicants at the moment which makes resources last for a good while but the plan is to have 6, I'm just being very picky with the printing pods offerings.

base.jpg

small pond.jpg

46 minutes ago, D7X said:

So...much...water. I doubt I'll run out of sand until somewhere past cycle 1000 but I'm currently digging to lava to get going with steam purification since there's not much else to do. Only running with 4 duplicants at the moment which makes resources last for a good while but the plan is to have 6, I'm just being very picky with the printing pods offerings.

base.jpg

small pond.jpg

Are you cleaning all that contaminated oxygen? If so, how? 

My best one yet... though things are getting bad fast. Never enough algae. Also watching Markiplier and have the forum up. Hooray multiple screens. Hooray procrastinating. 

I expanded way too much though. Next one will be much smaller.

Tips:

• Keep your dupe number low. 
  • research everything as fast as possible
  • dont expand too fast
  • make things at the heights your guys can reach (4) and keep it small

oni.png

44 minutes ago, PrivateDonut said:

Are you cleaning all that contaminated oxygen? If so, how? 

Do you mean the stuff the morbs are making or the stuff on the left? I've got six pufts over to the left that are slowly turning it into clean O2 but I haven't really done anything with the contaminated O2 yet, I'm thinking about cooling it into liquid O2 at some point since apparently that cleans it. I'm just occasionally feeding the morbs my carbon dioxide atm, there's like 7kg of contaminated O2 per tile in that room ._.

9 minutes ago, D7X said:

Do you mean the stuff the morbs are making or the stuff on the left? I've got six pufts over to the left that are slowly turning it into clean O2 but I haven't really done anything with the contaminated O2 yet, I'm thinking about cooling it into liquid O2 at some point since apparently that cleans it.

Oh sorry, I was referring to the contaminated oxygen the morbs are making. Yeah I figured you would have been cooling it down, but I wasn't sure. I'm currently working on a base almost like that, where it's enclosed. But I'm trying to prepare for when I run out of algae. 

EDIT: Ah I didn't think about sending all my carbon dioxide into the morb room in order to get rid of it. 

2 hours ago, midjones said:

Figured out that you can easily make little electrolizer rooms with a gas filter -- pure oxygen goes into your living quarters, and the hydrogen goes into the hydrogen power generator.  This means you don't need pumps in the ceiling of your base, as the hydrogen gets collected & converted into power immediately at the source (electrolyzer room).

Interesting approach to keep it compact and modular. But (there had to be a "But" :)) the Electrolyzer is able to produce 1000g Hydrogen/Oxygen per second, the pump can only process 500g. It either needs a second pump or the electrolyzer will only run at half capacity.
And even if you add a second pump and if they both run at 100% and process all the gas and if you can use the hydrogen to run the generator full-time, then pretty much all of the power is needed just to keep this setup going. Any air cooling or any of the other tasks in your world will have to be powered from other sources.

It's a really elegant build, but a more open solution where a major chunk of the oxygen is distributed using the natural air flow and a pump is used to catch the hydrogen from multiple electrolyzers might be the more efficient approach.

21 minutes ago, PrivateDonut said:

Oh sorry, I was referring to the contaminated oxygen the morbs are making. Yeah I figured you would have been cooling it down, but I wasn't sure. I'm currently working on a base almost like that, where it's enclosed. But I'm trying to prepare for when I run out of algae. 

Why not just use water for oxygen when you run out of algae? Finding more algae always seems like a constant struggle but water lasts for ages if you set it up right and minimize your consumption. You see the liquid valves in my tank? They're to stop the electrolyzer from eating all my water since it's bugged at the moment. I've been purifying water since I first set up the electrolyzer and the level in my water tank has only ever gone up.

18 minutes ago, Methusalem said:

Interesting approach to keep it compact and modular. But (there had to be a "But" :)) the Electrolyzer is able to produce 1000g Hydrogen/Oxygen per second, the pump can only process 500g. It either needs a second pump or the electrolyzer will only run at half capacity.
And even if you add a second pump and if they both run at 100% and process all the gas and if you can use the hydrogen to run the generator full-time, then pretty much all of the power is needed just to keep this setup going. Any air cooling or any of the other tasks in your world will have to be powered from other sources.

It's a really elegant build, but a more open solution where a major chunk of the oxygen is distributed using the natural air flow and a pump is used to catch the hydrogen from multiple electrolyzers might be the more efficient approach.

Isn't the gas valve/pump also eating some of his oxygen/hydrogen? Open designs work better for now imo but I think pumping gases around like that is the intended future of the game, hopefully next update everything works as intended.

3 minutes ago, D7X said:

Why not just use water for oxygen when you run out of algae? Finding more algae always seems like a constant struggle but water lasts for ages if you set it up right and minimize your consumption. You see the liquid valves in my tank? They're to stop the electrolyzer from eating all my water since it's bugged at the moment. I've been purifying water since I first set up the electrolyzer and the level in my water tank has only ever gone up.

I thought about using water for oxygen, and I've a back-up system in place. But I didn't want to end up running out of water long term, since I'm not 100% sure about getting more other then from slime/vomit and things like that. 

1 minute ago, PrivateDonut said:

I thought about using water for oxygen, and I've a back-up system in place. But I didn't want to end up running out of water long term, since I'm not 100% sure about getting more other then from slime/vomit and things like that. 

Kill all who destructive on stress, take back life source from portal if needed, 100% stressed life source without toilets will give you contaminated water, boil it and gain clear water, use it in electrolizers, Life source love to do mess when they eating mushbars and fatty white worms.

1 minute ago, Nativel said:

Kill all who destructive on stress, take back life source from portal if needed, 100% stressed life source without toilets will give you contaminated water, boil it and gain clear water, use it in electrolizers, Life source love to do mess when they eating mushbars and fatty white worms.

Yeah I kind of figured that's how he was doing it. I only take dupes who vomit when stressed, because I got tired of the other guys breaking everything. I'll mess around with it, thanks. 

Just now, PrivateDonut said:

Yeah I kind of figured that's how he was doing it. I only take dupes who vomit when stressed, because I got tired of the other guys breaking everything. I'll mess around with it, thanks. 

No no, I'm just kidding, man, they so small babys you can't do this to them, omg, it was joke. You will became monster if you gonna use them like source of water)))

Archived