ONI + Linux + Wine status

2 minutes ago, tsuna87 said:

And linux too. But with luck wine could have worked .

I used to be 100% Linux, but the inconsistent ability of Wine to run things ultimately chased me back to Windows for my primary desktop. Hopefully it gets sorted sooner than later. Still much love for penguin.

6 minutes ago, SilentNode said:

I used to be 100% Linux, but the inconsistent ability of Wine to run things ultimately chased me back to Windows for my primary desktop. Hopefully it gets sorted sooner than later. Still much love for penguin.

I love linux, but I never use it for games, gaming with linux is very limited, so i stick with windows

@Cheerio I know Microsoft is pushing Dx11+ and dropping/dropped support for Dx9, but how much work has ONI been invested with using Dx11 vs Dx9?

Would it be feasible to have support for Dx9 even if it cuts down on all eye candy shaders?

(By support I mean bare minimum, having the game run versus not.)

18 minutes ago, xtremeqg said:

I learned that purple means Unity failed to compile shaders. Despite Unity being multi-platform, the last dozen games I tried came with baked-in DirectX shaders only.

In any case, ONI "works" with more recent versions of wine but...

Screenshot from 2017-02-16 23:32:11.png

Something is wrong here... can't put my finger on it...

• Developer
22 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

@Cheerio I know Microsoft is pushing Dx11+ and dropping/dropped support for Dx9, but how much work has ONI been invested with using Dx11 vs Dx9?

Would it be feasible to have support for Dx9 even if it cuts down on all eye candy shaders?

(By support I mean bare minimum, having the game run versus not.)

@CarlZalph Unfortunately, at the moment there are no plans to support DX9 explicitly. It wouldn't just be the eye candy part of the shaders, the buildings and duplicants animating is also rather complicated. So many things to do, so little time! 

On 16/02/2017 at 10:39 PM, xtremeqg said:

In any case, ONI "works" with more recent versions of wine but...

When I first tried with older packages (my system was temporarily downgraded until waiting for a critical bugfix) I got the purple too.

Now I upgraded fully, and instead the game crashes at start. Did you do anything specific to make it work? Wine settings?

@Devs: See crash dumps in my next post

On 16/02/2017 at 11:03 PM, Alia said:

Unfortunately, at the moment there are no plans to support DX9 explicitly. It wouldn't just be the eye candy part of the shaders, the buildings and duplicants animating is also rather complicated. So many things to do, so little time! 

@Alia For now I'm about to submit ONI into the Wine application database, and we would greatly appreciate if you could maybe help us and the Wine devs to make it work under Wine - as much as it's in your ability, of course. I understand that the DirectX support part is up to Wine.

I'm eager to test this game and give you feedback, but having to reboot into Windows just to play is extremely uncomfortable.

For me the game simply crashes at start Under wine - I just attached two crash dumps. Given it worked for others under Wine, except for visual issues but it outright crashes for me, you may want to look into them to see if the crash is on your end or Wine's.

2017-03-04_203730.zip

2017-03-04_205634.zip

@Alia Thanks for looking at them anyway! I just updated Wine Staging, now it doesn't crash anymore.

I have other issues though, similar to what others mentioned:
1; Menu BG is upside down
2; World generation, crew selection and Embark screen OK
3; The world itself comes up all black except for GUI, names and particle effects (Oxylite bubbles)

I'm submitted a bugreport with Wine about the graphics issue:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42624

Also, I submitted the game into Wine AppDB:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34975&iTestingId=97300But sadly I have neither the time nor the competence to be a maintainer so not much else I can do at the moment. If anyone feels competent and ready to be maintainer of ONI in Wine AppDB, please go to the page above and apply for becoming maintainer!

Screenshot_20170311_025655.png

Screenshot_20170311_025552.png

8 hours ago, Taryn said:

@tsuna87 Did you get the game to work?! Could you possibly tell me how? I'm on mac and very inexperienced with wine, but I'd very much love to play it.

I followed (https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine) and (https://wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Shared_WoW64) to get the "base" wine to work. Notice that Steam is 32bits and ONI is 64bits so you need Wine in WoW64 mode.

In a post by StormHUN I got to this patch (https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=57303&action=edit) but I had to manually apply it because the source code had changed significantly since then.

A then it's playing time :)

8 minutes ago, StormHUN said:

WHOOO! Awesome! :D

Did you have missing graphics too like I did, or you only had it upside down? I'm about to try and apply that patch as well to confirm.

I had like you did when I enabled d3d11 in Wine. With only d3d9 I got the purple one. With -force-something in the ONI command line arguments I got purple, black, not working at all.

20 minutes ago, tsuna87 said:

I had like you did when I enabled d3d11 in Wine. With only d3d9 I got the purple one. With -force-something in the ONI command line arguments I got purple, black, not working at all.

OK this is weird... I was about to apply the patch, but it's already in the wine-staging source, there was nothing to do - and yet, I still have the bug. I don't get it...

Have you done anything else to make it work? Any overrides, custom parameters?

13 minutes ago, StormHUN said:

OK this is weird... I was about to apply the patch, but it's already in the wine-staging source, there was nothing to do - and yet, I still have the bug. I don't get it...

Have you done anything else to make it work? Any overrides, custom parameters?

Hum ... I made this diff to the source code

$ git diff
diff --git a/dlls/wined3d/device.c b/dlls/wined3d/device.c
index eef9818..90d7368 100644
--- a/dlls/wined3d/device.c
+++ b/dlls/wined3d/device.c
@@ -3874,7 +3874,7 @@ void CDECL wined3d_device_copy_resource(struct wined3d_device *device,
         WARN("Resource formats (%s / %s) don't match.\n",
                 debug_d3dformat(dst_resource->format->id),
                 debug_d3dformat(src_resource->format->id));
-        return;
+        // tsun87 // return;
     }

if (dst_resource->type == WINED3D_RTYPE_BUFFER)
@@ -3959,7 +3959,7 @@ HRESULT CDECL wined3d_device_copy_sub_resource_region(struct wined3d_device *dev
         WARN("Resource formats (%s / %s) don't match.\n",
                 debug_d3dformat(dst_resource->format->id),
                 debug_d3dformat(src_resource->format->id));
-        return WINED3DERR_INVALIDCALL;
+        // tsuna87 //return WINED3DERR_INVALIDCALL;
     }

if (dst_resource->type == WINED3D_RTYPE_BUFFER)

I already had this winetricks done to this WINEPREFIX

$ cat winetricks.log 
corefonts
d3dx9
dotnet20
remove_mono
fontfix
w_workaround_wine_bug-37781
w_workaround_wine_bug-30713
vcrun2015
wininet
d3dx11_43
d3dcompiler_43

I start the Steam with this command:

build-oni/wine-build-64$ WINEPREFIX=~/.Wine/Steam ./wine ~/.Wine/Steam/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Steam/Steam.exe

Notice that by default my Wine is 64bits.

Archived