Ewecus Should be a Tad Easier to Escape From

First off, I like the idea of the Ewecus. It's design cracks me up, and it makes hunting much more risky. I dig it. I do, however, have a problem with it: Once you're dumb enough to pick a fight with an Ewecus, you're pretty much dead if you're alone.

I know this is just me being an idiot, and likely a rookie error, and the devil sheep Ewecus even gives you a warning when you try to engage, but if you decide to be dumb and engage it anyways, you're pretty much donzo. The mucus trap lasts for too long to escape, and since you're pretty much useless for its duration, you end up taking a few too many kicks to the head.

And if a scenario with friends arises where the Ewecus kills one of the hunters, the other guy is most likely dead as well. Those kicks hurt quite a bit, so if you're uncoordinated or not paying attention, you can end up with two dead ghosties.

My suggestion? Make the mucus trap ever-so-slightly easier to escape from. In the event you make the mistake of trying to 1v1 the Ewecus, adding an extra second or two before she roots you again should theoretically make it easier to not immediately die. Alternatively, give the mucus shot slightly lower accuracy if you've been recently rooted. Or another alternative would be to make the mucus trap have diminishing returns so that each subsequent trapping would last for slightly less.

'Course, this is largely just me being whiny probably, but what do you out there think? Again, I like the Ewecus, but that mucus trap is infuriating to be caught in.

It would be cool if other players could cut you out of the mucus

They can. Spacebar or clicking on you gets you out right away.

But I agree with the original suggestion. I like the ewecus so far, I had a lot of fun fighting it with two other players on the dedicated server today, but there isn't really a way to run away from it once you've been gooped. Maybe if getting kicked by it immediately knocked you out of the goop, there would be a window where you could dash away? It might be hard to hit the right balance on that, though.

They can. Spacebar or clicking on you gets you out right away.

But I agree with the original suggestion. I like the ewecus so far, I had a lot of fun fighting it with two other players on the dedicated server today, but there isn't really a way to run away from it once you've been gooped. Maybe if getting kicked by it immediately knocked you out of the goop, there would be a window where you could dash away? It might be hard to hit the right balance on that, though.

Hehe, that one ewecus killed a group of 5 of us xD

I dunno. I tried to fight it off with console and another person and honestly it wasn't too bad. Then again, it's thulecite armour I'm talking about here... I'm pretty sure you can deal with it. 10 seconds or so isn't that long of a delay. What I think is that it should be in the options for you to regulate how often you want Ewecus to appear: like Warg in RoG.

There is always a period of time when a new monster comes out where people don't know exactly what's the best approach to fight it and the forums are flooded by ''Nerf this new monsta thing'' posts.

I am not saying the Ewecus is perfect as it is, I have only encountered it once so far (got sneezed on, no armor, took 2 hits and didn't die, finally escaped. With pig helmet + log armor I don't know if I would have felt anything).

However, I am positive that with time, people will learn how to work around this monster and kill it without any problems. I think it is a bit too early to talk about balancing it when it just recently came out =( Just a thought...

There is always a period of time when a new monster comes out where people don't know exactly what's the best approach to fight it and the forums are flooded by ''Nerf this new monsta thing'' posts.

Actually, there was a monster that was asked to be buffed.

Deerclops was show cased in a live stream by a youtuber. Winter took 30 days to get to, I think, and the player had a hard time living long enough to encounter deerclops. So he used his back up plan to cheat so he could skip to late winter and have a few fighting tools. The 10-20 fire darts proved more than enough to kill a deerclops, who used to panic like most creatures when set on fire. The youtuber managed to kill the deerclops without any hassle, and the developers spent a long time assuring everyone that deerclops is actually hard to fight. I remember seeing Kevin always saying that most people do not have 10-20 fire darts in time for deerclops.

I think the Ewecus is fine as is, but to be honest I am an experienced Dont Starver and killed him with other just as experienced.  I do agree though that his attack should knock you out of the mucus trap.  Pretty lame to get stuck and then hit but you're still stuck.  Other than that I have no real complaints.  I think the idea of the Ewecus is great, a monster that DEMANDS teamwork to kill.

It kicked my ass. I loved it. It was pretty much unexpected, and scary as hell, but good heavens, I loved it.(I got saved by a willow friend with a fire staff later on, so I'm not so angry about that.)

First off, I like the idea of the Ewecus. It's design cracks me up, and it makes hunting much more risky. I dig it. I do, however, have a problem with it: Once you're dumb enough to pick a fight with an Ewecus, you're pretty much dead if you're alone.

I think that pretty much says it all. I think DS is full of those "if you're dumb enough to do X while Y, you're screwed" moments. And now that the world is not Permadeath anymore, I think that it's not as infuriating and punishing as before.

but yes, I do agree that it should knock you off after it kicks you in the face. Not that much for balance, but more because it feels a bit off.

Once you're dumb enough to pick a fight with an Ewecus, you're pretty much dead if you're alone.

Since this mob was introduced in DST, I'm pretty sure that was the point of it.

They also told us to "not go hunting alone". 

It's supposed to be tackled in groups!

Archived