Sharing specials?

So as every player knows don't starve allows certain characters to have special items, what would happen if say Wes drops his balloons and Wilson picks them up? Will he be able to make balloons? Will people be able to use wickerbottems spells?

As Ive said before on other threads, crafibles should be able to be used by other characters, the other ones can't. So Wigfrids spear and helm, wearable by others. Wickerbottoms books? Can be used by others. The others cant craft them sure, but they can use them.

Things like the codex and Abigale's flower, can be picked up if dropped but cant be used by anyone except the original character.

That's how i'd want it, seems fair.

Things like the codex and Abigale's flower, can be picked up if dropped but cant be used by anyone except the original character.

I don't think other people should even have to option of picking up someone else's player-specific item. The other person could be a total **** and pick it up just to stop the other person from using it to be an ****, even though the person who that item belongs to could want to use it responsibly.

Not sure about Wickerbottom's books, either. Wigfrid's items? Sure, I don't see why someone else wouldn't understand what a helmet and spear did. But Wickerbottom's books of magic I think should stay to her.

I don't think other people should even have to option of picking up someone else's player-specific item. The other person could be a total **** and pick it up just to stop the other person from using it to be an ****, even though the person who that item belongs to could want to use it responsibly.

Not sure about Wickerbottom's books, either. Wigfrid's items? Sure, I don't see why someone else wouldn't understand what a helmet and spear did. But Wickerbottom's books of magic I think should stay to her.

But you could say the same with any high teir item, "players shouldn't be able to pick up staffs dropped by other players because they could be doing it to be a prick"

"Players shouldn't be able to pick up thulecite dropped from other players because its limited and valuable"

I think if you could pick them up it would cause more people to gripe, threads would pop up of new members complaining that they wanted to pick up their friends inventory to move it to their camp or to meet them halfway from the touchstone to give it back or something, then they say they couldn't pick up the special item and saying its a bug, or that it lead to both of their deaths in some way. Where as the other way if they could be picked up you just have people saying "that guys a butt he took my stuff when I died" Where then its the players fault because they chose to play with that person and their fault that they died.

Let the players dictate what happens, instead of the game making it frustrating for certain situations to happen.

Also I dont see any reason why others wouldnt be able to use Wickerbottoms books. Whose to say she didnt teach them or that the books themselves say what to do? They're tools you can use, you collect the ingredients and only she can craft them still, not to mention she still has her other crafting perks.

But you could say the same with any high teir item, "players shouldn't be able to pick up staffs dropped by other players because they could be doing it to be a prick"

"Players shouldn't be able to pick up thulecite dropped from other players because its limited and valuable"

I think if you could pick them up it would cause more people to gripe, threads would pop up of new members complaining that they wanted to pick up their friends inventory to move it to their camp or to meet them halfway from the touchstone to give it back or something, then they say they couldn't pick up the special item and saying its a bug, or that it lead to both of their deaths in some way. Where as the other way if they could be picked up you just have people saying "that guys a butt he took my stuff when I died" Where then its the players fault because they chose to play with that person and their fault that they died.

Let the players dictate what happens, instead of the game making it frustrating for certain situations to happen.

Also I dont see any reason why others wouldnt be able to use Wickerbottoms books. Whose to say she didnt teach them or that the books themselves say what to do? They're tools you can use, you collect the ingredients and only she can craft them still, not to mention she still has her other crafting perks.

A fair point. That thought didn't cross my mind at all. Perhaps I should stay away from the keyboard until I've actually slept and am able to think.

I had a reason in my mind but I forgot what it was.

The reason peaked around the corner but ran away when I tried to grab it. So I guess I can't really argue against that.

I'll just sit in this corner silently from now on.

A fair point. That thought didn't cross my mind at all. Perhaps I should stay away from the keyboard until I've actually slept and am able to think.

I had a reason in my mind but I forgot what it was.

The reason peaked around the corner but ran away when I tried to grab it. So I guess I can't really argue against that.

I'll just sit in this corner silently from now on.

It is a good point to bring up, as some characters without their special item are pretty much useless. *coughWENDYcough* And losing it would be a big balance issue. But again some characters arent, its not like Woodie can't craft a regular axe, or that Maxwell is completely useless without the codex. You took Wes' balloons? What a HUGE LOSS.

If people really want to work together, the special items will stay with their respective characters as they can do the most good with them, like you said. If people are taking others items to troll then its just that, trolling. It can't really be helped.

It is a good point to bring up, as some characters without their special item are pretty much useless. *coughWENDYcough* And losing it would be a big balance issue. But again some characters arent, its not like Woodie can't craft a regular axe, or that Maxwell is completely useless without the codex. You took Wes' balloons? What a HUGE LOSS.

If people really want to work together, the special items will stay with their respective characters as they can do the most good with them, like you said. If people are taking others items to troll then its just that, trolling. It can't really be helped.

Trolling will happen no matter what, I s'pose.

So far when SP people spawn other character's special items, non-players (such as Wickerbottom trying to use Willow's Lighter) cannot use them, if I remember this correctly. 

I agree with this in DST, as the whole point is what that character brings to the table. Nobody should use Wil's lighter or Wicks book for example. It's their obsession and/or knowledge with their area of expertise that makes them able to do what they do with the item, not just the item itself. So if other characters (for some reason) want to carry to return a special item, fine. but that item should only work for that originally owned character (and for further balance, only the SPECIFIC player of that SPECIFIC item should be able to use it.) 

Characters' items are used to balance their lost/gained attributes. Removing them or using them on other characters can break the game. Eg Wickerbottom splitting herself 4 times with the codex umbra; Maxwell filling the island with balloons; WX carrying/using multiple copies of the End Is Nigh.

Stacking the fight-related bonuses on Wolfgang is also game breaking.

Characters' items are used to balance their lost/gained attributes. Removing them or using them on other characters can break the game. Eg Wickerbottom splitting herself 4 times with the codex umbra; Maxwell filling the island with balloons; WX carrying/using multiple copies of the End Is Nigh.

Stacking the fight-related bonuses on Wolfgang is also game breaking.

Hmmm, could Maxwell make 99 Red balloons? :D

If any character can use any character specific items, there might aswell be a crappy character creator at the start of a MP game to give whatever character specific item you desire. You know, to move away even further from a character's unique trait. Wether or not it could be gamebreaking to see x item on y character, it takes away the trademark of the character if their item can be used by anyone else.

I'd be up for craftables like Wickerbottom's books and Wigfrid's spear and helmet being shared. Whilst they are character specific aswell, these are crafted by the characters and not a unique starting item. Wickerbottom's role in a MP game will be more than just an early Alchemy Engine and tech bonus this way.

...And Wilson will of course be the beard hair dispenser :p

If any character can use any character specific items, there might aswell be a crappy character creator at the start of a MP game to give whatever character specific item you desire. You know, to move away even further from a character's unique trait. Wether or not it could be gamebreaking to see x item on y character, it takes away the trademark of the character if their item can be used by anyone else.

I'd be up for craftables like Wickerbottom's books and Wigfrid's spear and helmet being shared. Whilst they are character specific aswell, these are crafted by the characters and not a unique starting item. Wickerbottom's role in a MP game will be more than just an early Alchemy Engine and tech bonus this way.

...And Wilson will of course be the beard hair dispenser :razz:

*Imagines us using Wigfrid's spears and wearing her (magic) helmets going after jackalopes in spring chanting KILL THE WABBIT!*

Heh, I personally can't see the viking helmets fitting on Wilson's massive cranium. Massive in a good way, of course. I like the idea of being able to carry other's items, but not use them.

If someone wants to be a total wang they will always find another way of being a total wang.

It would do you good to remember that.

Heh, I personally can't see the viking helmets fitting on Wilson's massive cranium. Massive in a good way, of course. I like the idea of being able to carry other's items, but not use them.

If someone wants to be a total wang they will always find another way of being a total wang.

It would do you good to remember that.

Read my later comments.

Archived