Strategies here please

Quoth143

11 hours ago, Extant said:

I don't know of any soup-based dish that can award a mark as of now

Mushroom Soup grants a favor as long as the Gorge wants soup. From my testing, I have only served it with a silver bowl.

2 Mushrooms + 1 Milk

12 hours ago, collect12 said:

Mushroom Soup grants a favor as long as the Gorge wants soup. From my testing, I have only served it with a silver bowl.

2 Mushrooms + 1 Milk

Thank you very much for the information. I'll try and test to see if it still gives a favor without a bowl. I'm trying to refine my solo strategies at the moment and there's a lot of my original guide that I'd like to revise at this point but I need to learn more about the event first and find a way to consistently clear it no matter what dish orders you get.

The Cream of Mushroom Soup does not grant a favor when served without a silver bowl. It can be a source of red mark for the 6th dish if The Gnaw wants soup however.

On 13/06/2018 at 6:32 AM, cropo said:

Not true. You can check the recipies once you make them and feed them to the Gnaw. Each have a different payout, and many recipies also include a blue coin if handed on a silver plate. Pasta also awards 2 blue coins, but 1 blue coin if given on a silver plate(but you get a red mark as well).

When you get the Salt Rack, make 3 salts from the salt rock. The goat who sells bucket-o-poop sells a safe-key for 3 salts.  At the south of the village where the flour-and-salt machine is are two safes. So far in every game, the safe on the RIGHT has a large cookpot dish and a silver plate. With this you can avoid buying it, and you get a free plate to get your red mark for the pasta.

I think the safe on the left has a large casserole pot and similar silver items. As well as a syrup container although I don't know what it's use is yet.

EDIT: Would seem I'm wrong. The safes are random, and the payout on the recipe list only shows the most recent payment you've gotten from the Gnaw.

There is also a safe hidden behind a broken coach to the right of the top salt pond. 

Well, this community certainly does have some dedicated players. Props to all the new solo players who have successfully conquered The Gorge.

As it seems that other people are taking care of the fastest recipes to get the favors, I might as well list some interesting things I have discovered about The Gorge's mechanics thus far that I've observed while doing practice runs to iron out my solo guide. I may or may not be right about these things, but it seems like my observations hold some truth to them.

1. The Gnaw's hunger meter seems to deplete at an accelerating rate the longer it goes without having a meal.

This means that in order to preserve the meter as best as possible, it's actually not efficient to keep feeding it meals as soon as it just ate. Likewise, it's not good for the meter to stall your next meal if you're trying to come up with something fancy versus something easy. It's situational, of course, but the best way to keep the meter up is to space out the meals just enough until it starts to go faster and then feed it. Once you start to hear The Gnaw growl and see its picture spin around, that means the meter is probably going faster and should be fed as soon as possible.

2. The cobblestone roads in The Gorge speed up your character just like in regular DST

This should be pretty self-explanatory and not that useful, but it can save some time for foragers/solo players to try and use the cobblestone when they can.

3. Beefalo manure has a maximum limit on how much can be on screen at once per herd

This is also a very minor detail but it can be important for solo players as having fertilizer entirely based on buckets is too time consuming alone along with cooking and foraging. I believe the max manure a herd can have is 3 but usually it seems picking up the manure at 2 is the best time to do so. Beefalo will release more manure very quickly so pick some up when you pass by them if you can while soloing.

4. Rot is as strong as manure for fertilizer in The Gorge

Yet another detail that really only helps solo players but rot is as good as manure when it comes to helping plants to grow. When freshly planted at stage 0, each crop will take 2 rot, 2 manure, or 2 bucket uses to be fully grown. So those 2 rotten crops by the potatoes at the pig village can be worthwhile to pick up when soloing. Also, rot isn't as good as logs or manure for fuel so it's best used for crops.

5. Berry bushes do not grow back

Berry bushes will not have enough time to grow back in The Gorge from what I've seen so it's best to leave them unpicked unless you need them for your meal or next meal.

6. Food spoils very fast

I think basically everyone should have noticed this by now so this is more of a beginner's tip but food in The Gorge spoils at an alarming rate versus in DST. Usually it's better to leave berries/potatoes by the pig village/mushrooms and such unpicked unless you know for a fact that you'll be using it very soon.

7. Fully grown crops spoil over time

Unlike in DST where crops on the farms would only rot in summer when unpicked, the crops in The Gorge will rot if left unpicked for too long. Harvest them when they have fully grown before they rot.

8. The safe may not be an ice box

I'm not 100% sure on this one, but the safe doesn't seem to slow the spoilage of food down at all. It is still useful to keep food in however as birds will eat seeds left on the ground and rabbits will eat vegetables lying around and you can't hunt them while they're distracted sadly.

9. There are 3 safes in the pond area

I'm sure everyone has seen the 2 safes in the pond area but there are actually 3 in total. The 3rd one is hidden behind one of the structures near the single pond by itself.

10. The rewards from safes are both random and not random

From what I've seen so far, there are 3 types of rewards you can get from safes. The 1st type contains a large cook pot and 3 assorted silver bowls/plates. The 2nd type contains a large casserole dish and 3 assorted silver bowls/plates. The 3rd type contains a syrup can, 3 taps, and 2 assorted silver bowls/plates. Now which one you get when you open them is random and not determined by the safe's location so you can't choose which rewards you want on your first and second safe. You are guaranteed to get at least 1 silver bowl and plate from each safe from what I've experienced thus far.

That's all the interesting things I've found out so far. If I figure out anything else, I'll edit my post.

i suppose it all depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve but by playing many many rounds with my partner we've discovered a few things (these strats are mostly for no silver lining i suppose):

-always grab the potatoes second round; even if the second round is bread you can have the potato soup up which will cover the fifth craving of soup, snack, or veg

-first dessert should always be jam as it is easy to make and berries are available everywhere (dont worry about running out of berries you wont really need them)

-if second round is bread make jelly sandwich as it saves a bit of wheat (2 flour one berry; again you wont really need berries so dont worry)

-try to get taps up by fifth round as a surplus of syrup is a far better fuel source than wood or manure

-second dessert should be waffles; this is made with one syrup and 2 wheat 

-grill foods take way less long to make than oven; if you have spare milk, make grilled cheese if the craving is bread. keep in mind this won't always give you back a red mark though

-make mac n cheese for the pasta and cheese cravings once you can; this cooks fast and will give you a red mark 

-really focus on making desserts to get your favors. i'd recommend a caramel cube; theyre easy to make once you get red marks and are guaranteed to get you a favor, whether plated or not (though IMO they arent worth plating, so i'd recommend not doing so); you're going to get a red mark again before a dessert round rolls around once more

-have a salt rack up as soon as you can and salt everything. salting stuff buys you time and keeps food fresh (they can be salted more than once for long keeping

Again this strategy isn't for everything; it  won't work in, say, seven dish but for no silver lining and regular win following this list works well for us!

Archived