Improve visuals for piping inputs and outputs

There is still a lot of confusion for new players on how to connect simple piping.

I suggest changing either output or input icons to be a circle and the other to remain a square to improve visual identity.

I also suggest changing the animation for air filters to be more intuitive. As it is, it gives the distinct impression of there being a vent built into it.

Edit: An illustration of how a filter could be visually improved.

filteroutput.thumb.png.6ca999d97def63e842591188aa8cd373.png

On 18.1.2018 at 3:47 PM, Saturnus said:

I suggest changing either output or input icons to be a circle and the other to remain a square to improve visual identity

..and you are sure, that would cause less confusion?
Green Box with "IN" in it and red Box with "OUT" in it, would be my suggestion, but i am happy with it.

Just now, Oozinator said:

..and you are sure, that would cause less confusion?
Green Box with "IN" in it and red Box with "OUT" in it, would be my suggestion, but i am happy with it.

I'm not suggesting changing the colours. Just to make it even clearer with shapes.

9 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Yes sure, but "..and are you sure.."
^^

Yes. I am in fact sure. Semiotic studies tells us that shapes are more noticeable than colours. For example, traffic signs are categorized into shapes. Triangles, circles and squares first and then colour because the brain more easily and faster interpret overall shapes before colour.

Right now you have to say that you have to connect green to white to have a working pipe. With shapes we can say: put the square peg in the round hole. Which is both clearer, and funnier.

Good.
Klei should make it moddable, then everyone can use, what he/she/it wants

That would be a very bad idea. It is definitely an area that should not be mod'able. There has to be a universal consensus on how icons in the game looks. 

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

That would be a very bad idea. It is definitely an area that should not be mod'able. There has to be a universal consensus on how icons in the game looks. 

Making a game full moddable (the icons too), seems not a bad idea for me.
The "universal consensus" would still be the point, because a set of icons is still in the game, when players get it.

On 21/01/2018 at 10:47 AM, Fernir said:

A long time ago someone proposed use of plane perpendicular vector symbols as in and out symbols, that was cleanest way I have seen proposed circle with center dot for input and circle with "X" for output IIRC

I'm not particularly fussed about how they incorporate shapes into the input/output visual design, as long as they do it so we can avoid a large part of the simple questions and confusion the current design brings.

Btw, for all that doubt it has enormous effect, look at game console controllers. There's a reason they use shapes and colours.

Am I on the crazy-pills right now? How is an arrow pointing INTO or OUT OF a box more confusing than an arbitrary square, circle, triangle, etc? You could remove the colors* completely from the game, and you'd still have the information readily visible to players.

pipes.png.a854a63a3a2395336b0b4ecaddbd2a7e.png

* There's actually a minor bug with filtered outputs right now, where one of the colors on the UI menu doesn't match what actually shows up in the game, but that's not directly relevant to this discussion right now.

8 hours ago, AileTheAlien said:

Am I on the crazy-pills right now?

pipes.png.a854a63a3a2395336b0b4ecaddbd2a7e.png

Yes. You've missed the point. This is basically what I envision.

art.thumb.png.7b7526d6669708fd34bf5bb0693d6212.png

Not replacing the artwork and colour already used but supplementing to it to make the function more intuitive at a glance.

Just now, Saturnus said:

Yes. You've missed the point. This is basically what I envision.

art.thumb.png.7b7526d6669708fd34bf5bb0693d6212.png

For me, it makes no real difference. I watch, what is in the icon, not the shape. Arrow pointing out, arrow pointing in, thats enough. (arrow alone would be).  ^^

For me, it makes no real difference. I watch, what is in the icon, not the shape. Arrow pointing out, arrow pointing in, thats enough. (arrow alone would be).  ^^

You didn't actually notice the difference at all then? :D (This is a trick question).

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You didn't actually notice the difference at all then? :D (This is a trick question).

The difference between yours or yours - oni originals?
I would say, the circle is not using antialiasing ^^
white - green switched?

The difference between yours or yours - oni originals?
I would say, the circle is not using antialiasing ^^

No. I used the colours and input/output art currently in the game. The picture @AileTheAlien posted was from the old version where the colours were reserved. You actually didn't notice. And that is my entire point.

No. I used the colours and input/output art currently in the game. The picture @AileTheAlien posted was from the old version where the colours were reserved. You actually didn't notice. And that is my entire point.

Ah yes Sir, but a "unnoticed "switch between white and green shows only the "small contrast/difference" between those colors. Red and green is different and not so easy to swap out unnoticed, when it's about that?
im-confused-m08wjd.jpg

10 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Ah yes Sir, but a "unnoticed "switch between white and green shows only the "small contrast/difference" between those colors. Red and green is different and not so easy to swap out unnoticed, when it's about that?

So now you're suggesting the colour scheme to be replaced because you didn't see the change straight away?

If input were squares and outputs were circles like I sketched above we wouldn't have this conversation. It wouldn't really matter what their colour was. You could use a monochrome monitor and still easily pick which was which.

You not noticing straight away the colour switch is exactly my point. Human do not detect colours as easily as shapes. Our brains are wired to recognize overall shapes long before we process the colour and relate the meaning of that colour.

So now you're suggesting the colour scheme to be replaced because you didn't see the change straight away?

No, i did it with third post in this thread and was thinking, it's about that.
Interesting thing is, when you search on google for in and output symbols, there is noone "worldwide accepted", so far i could see.
When world is not able to find an international working solution, how could the Klei devs?
My english is old and rusty. Sometimes it seems, i am sailing into the west, while wind is blowing from the west..
^^

As I said earlier. I'm not particularly fussed about how they improve the visuals. The can change the colour or inverse the image as they see fit. As long as they change the general outlining shape to be different between the two it doesn't really matter what else is done because that is all secondary.

18 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

When you say so, Sir ^^

It's what science tells us really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary/secondary_quality_distinction

It's in the nature of reality.

Shapes are objective properties. A square is not a circle. A triangle is not a square. And so on.

Colours are subjective qualities. Red and green cannot be agreed upon if you're red green colour blind. Blue and green are indistinguishable for several tribes in Africa at all times, and for most people in the right lighting conditions. And so on.

37 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

It's in the nature of reality.

For many humans yes. I never said you are wrong, but for me colors work different and the arrows without outer shape would be enough.
Colors could transmit information very well, but sure it's a question of shape too..
:)

mandala_9.png

Archived