I want to make metal pipes

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

I don't know where you get this non-sense. Where is it pumped from below?

From your screenshots:

On 9/17/2017 at 8:06 PM, Saturnus said:

2017-09-17 (2).png

The vent is in the lowest point of the liquid and is rising up. Liquid is being pumped through the vent, which is below it. Pumped from below.

It's polluted water. It can't overpressurize the vent, and I did have it dripping from a vent at the top to start with. Didn't change the temp of the water in the liquid pipes but vastly changed the outputted water so I moved them, and later realized it didn't matter either way as water temp in the pipes was the same so I just left it as it was.

I just did a test of my own with different flow rates and while I can confirm @Saturnus' observation that a lower flow rate has a greater effect on the gas outside pipes, this is only due to the fact that a fixed quantity of hydrogen gets spread out over a longer period of time, allowing for more heat exchange. There is no heat being created or lost. There's also no difference in heat transfer speed based on the mass in the pipe, as a second test I did shows.

The takeaway from this for radiator systems with constant circulation and a Regulator/Aquatuner bypass is that maximum flow rates are best, because the packets inside the pipes are affected less and therefore can exchange more heat at the end of the radiator.

For radiators that are one-way, the lowest practical mass flow that satisfies the system's need is best.

pipe-conduction-test.thumb.jpg.046411ff835e66a455bf084c5651cc0d.jpg

I made two horizontal 1-high rooms of polluted oxygen (2kg per tile, 40 kg total) at 380k (106.9 C). Exactly  12 kg of hydrogen at 280 K (6.9 C) is pumped through the room in Igneous Rock pipes (primed to the same temperature as the polluted oxygen). The only difference is the valve setting, 500 g/s or 100 g/s. The hydrogen ends up in abyssalite pipes over vacuum tiles surrounded by abyssalite tiles. When deconstructed, the end temperature of the hydrogen can be determined without external influences.

To calculate the energy lost by the polluted oxygen and pipes, I use 5 kg as the mass of the pipe in accordance with earlier discoveries that buildings act with 1/5th the mass for temperature simulation.

Here's the results for the 500 g/s test:

• Polluted oxygen cooled down to 101 C | 5.9 K delta, 20 * (5.9 * 2000 * 1.01 + 5.9 * 5000 * 0.2) = 356360 J lost
  • Hydrogen warmed up to 19.1 C | 12.2 K delta, 351360 J gained)

Energy lost/gained = 101.4%, given the small temperature deltas this is well within error margins so it appears heat is being conserved normally here.

And the 100 g/s test:

• Polluted oxygen cooled down to an average of 86.25 C | 20.65 K delta, 1247260 J lost
  • Hydrogen warmed up to 50.1 C | 43.2 K delta, 43.2 * 12000 * 2.4 = 1244160 J gained

Energy lost/gained = 100.2%, although the temperature deltas were bigger this time, the difference is far smaller so again heat appears to be conserved.

Energy transfered was 3.5 times as much as the 500 g/s test.

To determine if there was a difference in transfer speed, I also did the same test but paused the game as soon as the last 500g packet passed the leftmost tile in the polluted oxygen chamber and compared the temperatures.

Both tiles cooled down to 103.7 C, so there was no difference in transfer speed. This fits my understanding that heat exchange between pipes and their contents always act as if there was 1 g in the pipe.

Save file attached if you'd like to run the test for yourself.

The Radiator Law.sav

47 minutes ago, Sevio said:

... this is only due to the fact that a fixed quantity of hydrogen gets spread out over a longer period of time, allowing for more heat exchange.

No. If you check my results above you'll see that is not the case. The time was the same, and 10 times less total mass at 10 times less flow rate cooled or heated the most.

I repeatedly point that interesting thing out that the less total mass that flows through the pipes over a given time period the larger the effect. Totally illogical.

28 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No. If you check my results above you'll see that is not the case. The time was the same, and 10 times less total mass at 10 times less flow rate cooled or heated the most.

I repeatedly point that interesting thing out that the less total mass that flows through the pipes over a given time period the larger the effect. Totally illogical.

I may have misinterpreted your test a bit, but what you're observing doesn't fit my observations in my test. My second test where I paused the game after the last 500 g packet passed the first tile should have shown a difference with the 100 g packet test if that were the case. But both polluted oxygen tiles cooled down by the same amount where every other factor is the same.

The only difference I can think of now is that your test uses liquid pipes and mine uses gas pipes, or that vertical heat transfer is somehow messing with your results.

I ran my horizontal radiator test once more with wolframite liquid pipes. 10 kg of polluted water at 280k is pumped into pipes in contact with polluted oxygen at 380 K (106.9 C), then released at either 500 g/s or 10 g/s. When the last packet of the larger flow passed through the first tile, I paused and compared the temperatures of the polluted oxygen there:

• In the 500 g/s test, the PO2 cooled down to 97.5 C
  • In the 10 g/s test, the PO2 cooled down to 99.8 C

I did a larger, 160 kg test at 1600 g/s and 8000 g/s (same duration and relative flows as the previous test):

• In the 8000 g/s test, the PO2 cooled down to 97.7 C
  • In the 1600 g/s test, the PO2 cooled down to 97.7 C

For good measure, I also compared 8000 g/s to 500 g/s:

• In the 8000 g/s test, the PO2 cooled down to 97.6 C
  • In the 500 g/s test, the PO2 cooled down to 97.7 C

I can't seem to reproduce this exaggerated low-flow heat exchange effect in my horizontal test setup so there must be something specific with yours that's causing it. I notice your chambers with static mediums are two tiles tall, the only thing that I can think of now is that the tendency for heat to migrate and stay in higher tiles within gases or liquids (and possibly an associated bug) is affecting your results.

Save file with liquid version attached.

The Liquid Radiator Law.sav

Archived