I was kicking this idea around my head for a while and I decided to finally build it in my base. It isn't terribly precise but it can be used to activate things at interval for a period of time. Like maybe activate a pump for 30 seconds every 600 seconds. Ish. It's all pretty crude. With enough math-fu, one could probably make it more accurate. And you could probably use one core setup to build 3-6 branching timers if so desired. The filter circuit and piping were used in setup to load it but are not part of the final build

Spoiler

20170909154403_1.thumb.jpg.a18425b5f490d32856813d49903e1bcc.jpg

20170909154409_1.thumb.jpg.07bb67a4740f46b06f9b326e32ca5688.jpg

20170909154406_1.thumb.jpg.9bd76bfc90d96159f074d0a9a5ed2b50.jpg

The wires dropping off to the bottom of the screen are set to power lights above the mess area in the day and beds at night (or thereabouts)

I wanted to share in the event anybody else had some clever ideas for it or had need of a solution like this.

10 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Put two switches in series that'll solve that issue.

That doesn't work in series as one switch will always be off no matter what the temp is at...think about it...one switch is set at on above 90C and the other switch in series is set off below 75C. The same switches in parallel and the circuit would be on whenever outside of the 75-90 range which isn't the hysteresis as described in my last post.

Some hysteria would give some time for the system to reach equilibrium before the switch cycles again.  

16 minutes ago, FR4NK said:

The same switches in parallel ...

That's why I wrote series, not parallel.

Think about it. Switches in the game are not on-off switches. They are conditional on switches. If you set one to on at above 75C, and another to on below 90C then in series it first check if it's above 75C, if so it check the other if it's below 90C. Only if both conditions are met is the circuit completed. It's pretty simple once you get rid of the idea that they are on-off switches, and realize they are conditional on switches.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

That's why I wrote series, not parallel.

Think about it. Switches in the game are not on-off switches. They are conditional on switches. If you set one to on at above 75C, and another to on below 90C then in series it first check if it's above 75C, if so it check the other if it's below 90. Only if both conditions are met is the circuit completed.

Yeah that would work only if the system never drops below 75C or raises above 90C. Have you even tested this? There is always a delayed response no matter how close the switches are to what you are trying to control. I need a switch thats ON below 75C and doesnt turn off until its above 90C. The switch you are describing is only on while in-between 75C-90C and off at any other temp. If you cant understand the difference then ok I concede.

That's not the system you described to begin with.

3 hours ago, FR4NK said:

I'll love some hysteria settings on switches like turn on at 90C and turn off at 75C. 

The system you described is fulfilled by the overlapped series switches as I described above.

32 minutes ago, FR4NK said:

I need a switch thats ON below 75C and doesnt turn off until its above 90C. 

This is a different system. It is fulfilled by a switch set to on below 90. If you want a tiered response such as fully on below 75C, intermediately on below 90C and not on above 90C. Then use two switches side by side. One turn on below 75C and the other below 90C. You then have two systems, for example two pumps. Each switch controls one each, and have for example a valve that limits output from each pump. Merge the output and you have a stepped temperature controlled response.

This game requires you to think outside of the box to design systems that fulfil your requirements with the given tools. Just be happy we even have sensor switches now. A few updates ago we made elaborate systems with just valves and filters, and dupe operated on switches only.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

The system you described is fulfilled by the overlapped series switches.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Put two switches in series that'll solve that issue.

So if I use two switches in series will I solve this issue? Logic says otherwise as once the system is outside of the temp range(75-90) the two switches in series will always be "off" and wont turn on the system.

You then have two systems, for example two pumps.

Sorry I was referring to a single switch; not multiple systems.

This game requires you to think outside of the box to design systems

There isn't anything "outside of the box" as everything in this game is hard coded to set defined rules within the code. For example two switches in series where one set at on at on at 75C or above and the other set to on below 90C or less will only be on within the temp range of 75-90C and the system as a whole will be off at any other temp outside of the range of 75-90C for ex 74.9C or 90.1C.

The clock is a neat setup if you need a certain thing to run within a certain time frame, I just hope Klei adds some options for hysteresis within the settings for the current  switches.

1 hour ago, FR4NK said:

So if I use two switches in series will I solve this issue? Logic says otherwise as once the system is outside of the temp range(75-90) the two switches in series will always be "off" and wont turn on the system.

Have the first switch activate when below 75 and 2nd switch activate when above 90; as long as your system naturally falls back below 90, it'll always stay within these two temps (assuming it has the heat throughput).

This is a switch with hysteresis.

The left thermo switch switches on when below minimum value. That will make the left gas pump to send gas from left the chamber to the right chamber and eventually stop when it makes vacuum.

The right thermo switch switches on when above maximum value. That will make the right gas pump send gas from the right chamber to the left chamber and eventually stop when it makes vacuum.

The atmo switch in the right chamber actually performs the switching.

Edit: forgot the picture.

1kxOHLF.jpg

45 minutes ago, 0_t3 said:

I hope the switch can control the door,In the distance can be controlled

They kind of could when mechanical airlocks still needed to be powered for their settings to work. For example, you could use two mechanical airlocks with a pump between them as an airlock that would never let gas through by not allowing dupes to go through them and putting their wires through an atmo switch that's always active above 0 g. When a dupe entered the room, the atmo switch would turn on the mechanical airlocks and the dupe couldn't leave until the room was a vacuum again.

8 hours ago, FR4NK said:

The clock is a neat setup if you need a certain thing to run within a certain time frame, I just hope Klei adds some options for hysteresis within the settings for the current  switches.

And I sincerely hope they won't, and I'm pretty sure they won't. For a long time I wished they'd add logic gates but then I realized the game already have that capability with just conditional on switches.

The thing I like about this game is that it forces you to break down the system you want to build into it's individual most simple parts and then build up from there. As an electronics engineer that really speaks to me because we take complicated systems for granted all the time but this game makes you have to look at what is actually going on at the most basic level.

As for your hysteresis option. I already gave you the tools you needed. @Kasuha was kind enough to spell it out how it could be practically achieved.

If things come up to a day/night switch, then here's an option that uses a duplicant as a trigger. All doors are single way, so the duplicant goes sleep through one chamber and leaves through the other. Passing through the chamber lets in some air which is detected by the atmo switch and it runs both the gas pump that lowers pressure in the chamber again, and a liquid pump of the flip-flip below. The two hydro switches in the flip-flop are actual day/night switches.

It may not be terribly accurate (depends on accuracy of the duplicant) but it doesn't use power constantly and maintains the sync as long as the duplicant goes sleep in his bed.

j0rUi8p.jpg

Spoiler

vp0dR5V.jpg

USE2FtJ.jpg

Vc8F1Pj.jpg

15 hours ago, Kasuha said:

It may not be terribly accurate (depends on accuracy of the duplicant) but it doesn't use power constantly and maintains the sync as long as the duplicant goes sleep in his bed.

Yeah, I've had issues with getting mine to sync properly and ways to automate resyncing.  I find this approach interesting. I will say that the waterclock I put together for the original post was also intended to use power sparingly using the valves as like the bottleneck of a sand hourglass.

@Kasuha There's an improvement that can be done. Dupes may not always get to bed at a set time but they almost always only get up and leave the bed at the morning timer, so just change it to that and it should be fairly accurate provided he's not doing his business while he sleeps or have a midnight snack but having him pass a lavatory and the mess hall before going to bed should prevent both these cases. See him as the time keeper dupe and design accordingly. 

19小时前,Michi01说:

当一个欺骗者进入房间时,大气开关将打开机械气闸,并且在房间再次成为真空之前,笨重不能离开。

i can't understand your mean.mechanical airlocks haven't electricity can be used.so why dupes can't through the mechanical airlocks.thanks that you toldl those.last, can you give me a Screenshot help me understand?

7 hours ago, 0_t3 said:

i can't understand your mean.mechanical airlocks haven't electricity can be used.so why dupes can't through the mechanical airlocks.thanks that you toldl those.last, can you give me a Screenshot help me understand?

Before the Outbreak Upgrade, only mechanical airlocks allowed you to control which dupes can go through and it only worked if the airlock was powered. So that means if you allowed no dupes to go through, they were still able to go through when it had no power. It no longer works like this though.

18 hours ago, Michi01 said:

在爆发升级之前,只有机械气闸允许您控制哪些重复可以通过,并且只有在气闸动力时才起作用。所以这意味着如果你不允许任何的欺骗,他们仍然能够通过,当它没有权力。它不再像这样工作了。

i understand your mean.power is key,right?

Archived