Fruiting tree with a nasty bite - An interesting way to die

The idea is a fruit tree with a nasty bite. Introducing a food source that can eat your dupes.
Purpose:
Add variety and expanding farming with a new tier of crops.
Add a new interesting way to die.
Combining gaming elements.
Will require some kind of animal breading unless your dupes are the only meal for the tree hehe.

Grow a plant (tree).
This kind of crop would require a special tile that is bigger than a normal farm tile 2w x 2h.
The size of the tree is 4h x 2w.
Grow a really long time and have increasing yield as it ages.
The fruit falls to the ground after 1 cycle if not harvested.

Example.
Prickle pear (Oki I just realised that name is used in Slime Rancher but lets stick with it)
Plant like a normal seed.
First harvest in 12 cycles.
Every 4 cycles it fruits.
After 12 cycles it fruits 4 prickle pears.
After 24 cycles it fruits 6 prickle pears.
After 48 cycles it fruits 8 prickle pears.

(At this stage it will become a meat eater as a surprise to the dupes)
(Would be hilarious suddenly finding one of your dupes being swallowed by the tree.)
(It should be possible to rescue him before death by the other dupes. But left long enough and its goodbye dupe)

For every Animal/Dupe eaten the Tree Sprouts 1 Seed + 2 Fruits at the next harvest. Maximum of 1 eaten pr. cycle.
After 96 cycles it dies.

Growing conditions Light, Oxygen, polluted water and fertiliser. Temp is -11C to +33C

Food recipees for the cooking station could be:
1 Prickle Pear = Crickle pear (1000 Calories) (0) food quality
2 Prickle Pear + 1 Bristle Blossom = 1 fruit salad. (2000 Calories) (+1) food quality
3 Sleet wheat + 2 Crickle Pear + 1 Hatch Meat = Prickle Beef with Sleet bread (2000 Calories) (+2) food quality

Variations - You could make a variant of it as a giant mushroom, Ice blossom, Fire ash tree or something even more exotic.

Mushroom tree variant could produce low quality food (-3) for animal feed. So you feed hatches with Mush Spores. (the spores fall to the ground - auto feeding).

Example:
Mush Tree
First harvest in 6 cycles.
Every 3 cycles it fruits.
After 9 cycles it fruits 4 Mush Spores.
After 18 cycles it fruits 6 Mush Spores.
After 36 cycles it fruits 8 Mush Spores and 1 seed.
After 72 cycles it dies.

Growing conditions Dark, Carbon Dioxide, polluted water and fertiliser. Temp is -6C to +22C (Damp conditions)

Example: 
Fire Ash tree
Every 4 cycles it fruits but only if it eats 1 animal/dupe during the growth cycle. Maximum of 1 eaten.
After 12 cycles it fruits 4 fruits
After 24 cycles it fruits 6 fruits.
After 48 cycles it fruits 8 fruits + 1 seed.
After 96 cycles it dies.

Growing conditions Light, Oxygen, polluted water. Temp is +33C to +66C

At full maturity one tree feeds 1.75 dupes pr. cycle. Including the one consumed meat. That seems quite oki.

Oooh Look this innocent little plant. I will bring it home and grow it in my farm...

20170802_225745.thumb.jpg.1eb41ee16971e5ade4a042e52eda3ab5.jpg

Little did she know that it would grow eyes and start watching her every time she watered the seedlings...

20170802_225759.thumb.jpg.a72b7cd0ca066e731c2b965d5ab8d77f.jpg

Until one day the hunger was just too much and this nice little piece meat was too tempting not to eat.

20170802_225807.thumb.jpg.cff00aaa7afd7b08e07717027223841e.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mjello said:

For every Animal/Dupe eaten the Tree Sprouts 1 Seed + 2 Fruits at the next harvest. Maximum of 1 eaten pr. cycle.
After 96 cycles it dies.

Does it only eat when it's hungry or does it always eat? Cuz imagine feeding it unlimited creatures and so the next harvest it generates unlimited food.

1 minute ago, AlexRou said:

Does it only eat when it's hungry or does it always eat? Cuz imagine feeding it unlimited creatures and so the next harvest it generates unlimited food.

Maximum of 1 eaten pr. cycle is the idea.

6 minutes ago, Mjello said:

Maximum of 1 eaten pr. cycle is the idea.

So 4 cycles a harvest, one feeding per cycle would end up with 8+8 fruit. Doesn't that sound a little OP given the huge temperature range?

Had to edit multiple times cuz I read the harvest cycle wrong.

3 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

So 12 cycles for the last harvest, one feeding per cycle would end up with 8+24 fruit. Doesn't that sound a little OP?

The idea is fruiting every 4 cycles after maturity.
Could be just one every 4 cycles. Does that sound better?

How much do a dupe eat anyways. (1000 - 2000 Calories every 2-3 cycles on average ?) Must test this to balance it properly. But I would say you are probably right about the OP. Should be lower yield. lets work with the example a bit to balance it. Suggestions are welcome.

Number of calories could be tweaked if the yields can be large, but if things to feed it are scarce then I dont think getting 16000 calories is exactly bad, considering you would have to sacrifice a dupe XD

Dupes eat 1000 calories a day iirc, there is a negative trait which makes them eat more.

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

Number of calories could be tweaked if the yields can be large, but if things to feed it are scarce then I dont think getting 16000 calories is exactly bad, considering you would have to sacrifice a dupe XD

The op mentioned creature breeding so I doubt plant food would be too scarce. 

2 minutes ago, Mjello said:

The idea is fruiting every 4 cycles after maturity.
Could be just one every 4 cycles. Does that sound better?

How much do a dupe eat anyways. (1000 - 2000 Calories every 2-3 cycles on average ?) Must test this to balance it properly. But I would say you are probably right about the OP. Should be lower yield. lets work with the example a bit to balance it. Suggestions are welcome.

Yeah sorry about the numbers, I read it wrong lol. 

A idea I have would be to remove the fertilizer requirement, and have it completely depend on meat to grow and produce fruit. You can feed it however much you want but there is a minimum hunger level (must be X% full over Y cycles) required to produce fruit and the number of fruit is constant regardless of how much you feed it over that minimum level.

Sorry I had forgotten about that.

I think it would be alright to have it live off of energy stored in its seed and once x amount of cycles pass it then requires meat? That way it would never need fertilizer but would eventually require dat juicy meat

Just now, BlueLance said:

Sorry I had forgotten about that.

I think it would be alright to have it live off of energy stored in its seed and once x amount of cycles pass it then requires meat? That way it would never need fertilizer but would eventually require dat juicy meat

Yeah that's how plants in the real world works, it uses up its seed energy to grow until it is big enough to produce/consume its own energy. But it would not be fruiting until it starts consuming meat.

Just now, AlexRou said:

Yeah that's how plants in the real world works, it uses up its seed energy to grow until it is big enough to produce/consume its own energy. But it would not be fruiting until it starts consuming meat.

Hmmm so for the first 12 cycles it requires nothing and after that it requires "Food"? Since the first 12 cycles all it does it grow. Well 11 since its harvestable on the 12th

3 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Hmmm so for the first 12 cycles it requires nothing and after that it requires "Food"? Since the first 12 cycles all it does it grow. Well 11 since its harvestable on the 12th

Well maybe not 12 cycles, 12 - 4 = 8 maybe. So it grows for 8 cycles and then it needs 4 cycles of food to produce fruit. Then it only produces fruit as long as it has enough food for 4 consecutive cycles.

That would seem fair, would dupes feed it or would it be more of an opportunistic feeder?

Could work either way I guess, opportunistic would be fun tho. I like it eating unsuspecting dupes :p 

That way there is a danger element so it would all balance out nicely.

31 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

The op mentioned creature breeding so I doubt plant food would be too scarce. 

Yeah sorry about the numbers, I read it wrong lol. 

A idea I have would be to remove the fertilizer requirement, and have it completely depend on meat to grow and produce fruit. You can feed it however much you want but there is a minimum hunger level (must be X% full over Y cycles) required to produce fruit and the number of fruit is constant regardless of how much you feed it over that minimum level.

I like the idea of removing the fertilizer. It could require a small amount of chalk or some yet unmade ressource instead. Or just nothing.
But to only have fruits if the tree eats. My idea was that it would only be nescessary for new seeds.

hmm lets try this new variant

Example: Fire Ash tree
Every 4 cycles it fruits but only if it eats 1 animal/dupe during the growth period between harvests. Maximum of 1 eaten.
After 12 cycles it fruits 4 fruits.
After 24 cycles it fruits 6 fruits.
After 48 cycles it fruits 8 fruits + 1 seed.
After 96 cycles it dies.

Growing conditions Light, Oxygen, polluted water. Temp is +33C to +66C

At full maturity one tree feeds 1.75 dupes pr. cycle. Including the one consumed meat. That seems quite oki.

1750 Calories x 4 = 7000 Calories That is quite hefty, If you were to use this number i think maybe having the plant bear x amount of fruit dependant on how much "Quality" meat it gets.

An example being 4 Pieces of hatch meat = 1 Dupe Meat.

Or reducing the amount of calories but depending on what meat you feed it would depend how long it stays fed for, 1 Hatch = 2 cycles and 1 dupe = 8-10 cycles?

I don't think we would be able to decide how to balance it all, but at least we have good options for the devs. There are just so many numbers they can play around with but the general idea is now pretty solid.

Another thing I came up with, what if we made certain dupes highly prefer or outright refuse to eat anything other than fruits from such meat eating plants? Could be interesting for base designs now that you have to have them.

Vegetarian Dupes? I don't see any problems with this whatsoever, in the end the more variety the better as long as it doesn't over complicate things. But I would personally love it if you had to try and cater for different needs.

Not exactly vegetarian, I would come up with a clever word for people who eat carnivorous plants but I can't. Like a subset of vegetarian.

Lets compare it to a bristle blossom under good growth conditions.

10 cycles first harvest

Next harvest in just 2 cycles. That is 0.5 dupes fed by a bristle blossom pr. cycle.

A tree can feed 1.75. That seems oki compared to existing crops. Equals 4 Hydroponic Tiles with Bristle Blossoms.

4 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Not exactly vegetarian, I would come up with a clever word for people who eat carnivorous plants but I can't. Like a subset of vegetarian.

This one made me laugh. Thankyou.

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Carnivorous :p  "Acquired Taste" This dupe likes the finer things in life, Such as Wine, Cheese and Red Meat."

...Cheese and the occasional freak of nature that is carnivorous plants.

2 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Now all I can imagine is a carnivorous plant with a top hat sipping on some wine with a cane munching on a dupe walking by...

The closest thing I know off, btw he has a gatling gun in his hat.

latest?cb=20161107055517

Archived