Help With Air Pumps

I just can't figure out how they are suppose to work. I set them up to move the bad air where my dupes sleep, but all I get is a message saying "not in gas." What gas is it suppose to pump? The only time I got it to work was when in a completely enclosed room was full of brown air. The machine was pumping gas out, but the air in the room never changed. How do I clear a room of brown dirty air?

Air pumps shouldn't be specific on what they pump. If I put one in a room whatever is floating in the air should all be sucked in and transferred to wherever I put the exit vent. That simple.

Thanx!

1 hour ago, vonVile said:

Air pumps shouldn't be specific on what they pump. If I put one in a room whatever is floating in the air should all be sucked in and transferred to wherever I put the exit vent. That simple.

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

The air sucked is directly around and BELOW the pump, my guess is that you put the pump on the floor, it should be ceiling level.

If not, feel free to provide a screenshot ;)

EDIT : This is only true for a gas Pump; a liquid pump should be on the floor ofc.

Unless you dupes live in vacuum “not in gas” problem tied to very low gas pressure. Pump is working but in very inefficient way. And its pumping in all gases not specific one.

There is more efficient way to deal with CO2 – this gas naturally go down so if you build beds on higher levels and made some way for CO2 to naturally go down it will solve your problem. For example, you can build gas permeable tile right under the tile where dupe pillow is located so when dupe breathe out CO2 during sleep it will go down in to a room beneath bedroom.

Anyway, the most important is sustain higher oxygen pressure in bedroom. Because if you only have few grams of oxygen in each tile nothing helps you to deal with a “bad brown gas”.

it makes more sense when you look at it as more of a "collector" than a "pump", since their gas simulation atm does not calculate any sort of pressure gradient. it just averages out the density of nearby tiles, and equalizes them to a certain range. with this function happening every game tick, while removing gas from a particular tile at the same rate - this is only some fraction of your potential volume every cycle

so 2 counters we have so far - either confine your gas to the least volume possible (ie. pump o2/h2 out of a small room, to multiple vents), or position your pumps where they will most likely collide with gases "floating" by (pump co2 from the bottom of a large room)

filters can also be daisy-chained, sending more than 2 gasses through the same pump to different places

I got one to work with a little trial and error. I planned to build a reservoir beneath my colony, but the first one I placed too low right on the floor. I didn't think it would matter with the little batch of toxic liquid there, but it was still registering as "no gas,"  so I moved it up one tile which still wasn't enough so I moved it up one more and that seemed to do the trick. I quickly pumped out the CO2, but all that was left was toxic oxygen.

I designed the enclosed tower where I had a outhouse on the first level, a storage level, another outhouse level (didn't get built), and the pit to catch all the CO2 and toxic liquids. It had the air vents that allowed air but not liquids to drop on all levels. I couldn't build the second outhouse because I had to move the gas pump higher.

Is it okay for dupes to breath in toxic oxygen? By the time I figured everything out the colony was getting flooded with it because I had to go the areas that create it to complete the air ducts. I had barely any Sedimentary Rock in this world. It was just all CO2 with small patches of water. I don't think anybody could last long on it.

On 07/03/2017 at 1:23 PM, DonDegow said:

EDIT : This is only true for a gas Pump; a liquid pump should be on the floor ofc.

Unless you use it as an overfill pump in a reservoir you only want filled to a certain point. 

12 minutes ago, DonDegow said:

Yes Saturnus but liquid vents have a pressure limit that is more useful for this purpose imo.

That is only useful if the liquid is in fact pump in via a pump/vent. It could also be in a waste collecting reservoir that fills up by gravity.

Archived