Domo's Don't Starve Character Creator Tool

Download: Domo's Don't Starve Character Creator

Hey friends, I've got a brand new Don't Starve modding tool to share with all of you!  It's a character creation script that allows you to draw your character in-pose, and then easily export the .scml file and all its assets directly to your mod folder.  This method doesn't require adapting a template mod, and allows you to create assets without any size restrictions.

There is a SMALL catch - this tool is an extension for Adobe Flash.  Hear me out!  Wilson and all his friends were originally drawn in Flash by Klei themselves, and it works quite well with Don't Starve's aesthetic.  If you still prefer to use alternative software, you can import your character's assets into Flash and use the tool to create an .scml file.

Here's how it works:

Step 1: Open a new document.  Open Window > Other Panels > DSCC.  In the DSCC window, enter your character's name and click 'New'.  Your character's assets will be created and appear in the document's library.

Step 2: Click your character's name in the list and click 'Load'.  Your character's assets will be loaded into the document.  Once there, you can open each one and draw the appropriate body part.  Alternatively, you can import external images if you'd prefer not to draw in Flash.

Step 3: Once your character is finished, click its name in the list and click 'Export'.  Navigate to your mod's 'exported' folder and click 'Okay'.  Flash will process your character for about a minute, and after that, you're done!  Once you start Don't Starve, it will automatically be compiled into an anim file for your character.

My hope is for this tool to streamline the character creation process and make it easier for modders to publish their work.  Please post here with any feedback you have about DSCC, as I plan to keep it updated and add some new features and fixes.  If there are any questions about these instructions, please post them, as well.  With your help, I can make this a real asset to you and the Don't Starve modding community.  Thanks everyone!  Also be on the lookout for Domo's Don't Starve Speech File Creator in the future!

My friend commissioned me to do the artwork for a mod he wants to make, based on Lucatiel of Mirrah from Dark Souls 3... I've been using gimp, but Im new to this sort of thing and long story short canvas sizes are wrong and it's a big mess. So rather then restarting I went to the internet and found this. I don't have flash so I downloaded the free trial and I accidentally set the default app to open this download file type as adobe acrobat, which I then changed to Adobe Animate (flash). I don't see a tab under windows that says other panels, and when I try to open the DSCC file there is just an error... Thanks in advance

@Uhin It might not work with Adobe Animate.  I built the plugin using Flash CS6, (from what I understand, it's the most used, most "stable" version of Flash), and since Animate is technically a different application, they may not be compatible.  I do have access to Animate, so I will attempt to get it to run there as soon as I can.  If it turns out I can't, I would recommend trying out CS6, I've been using it for years and I prefer it significantly to all of adobe's later products.

Alternatively, you might try opening the plugin from Adobe Extension Manager (assuming it's installed).  It's the program that installs Adobe plugins, (at least in CS6), and it might get around the incorrectly assign default application for the plugin.  Feel free to post again if that doesn't work for you, I want the plugin to be as versatile as possible, and these kind of comments help me a lot to accomplish this!

On 30.01.2017 at 10:29 PM, Mobbstar said:

Too bad I suck at animating, drawing and following instructions, else I would definitely try this out!

haha, same here sadly.

too bad i haven't PC with Windows atm, so can't test, but it's definitely a tool which is good to have for DS.

Keep it up, author. Only 1 question - why flash? isn't it considered as dead even by Adobe?

9 hours ago, R1ncewind said:

Only 1 question - why flash? isn't it considered as dead even by Adobe?

Dead or no, it's still a very effective tool for animation.  Klei uses it to draw and animate their own characters, and it lends itself well to editing .scml files for Don't Starve.

Archived