Near invincible Dragonfly?

at day 15 me and two of my friend brought 2 logsuit 1 hambat 1 tentacle and 1 spear we have been able to scrap the tentacle on the Dragonfly and he was still alive until he does decided to say "im outta here" and fly off the map.

Two days after i decided to go in godmode with given item and i attacked him for a full day duration with a many dark sword and he was still alive.

Then i decided to blow around 200 gunpowder (all gived obviously) and he finaly die, dropping gems of all color alongside 14 meat and 1 scale.

Are those the normal drop table with HP or it was purely gliched?

It´s actually 10x more health than in singleplayer, not 100x :) 

Dragonfly was designed to fight her with several people, this is probably why it took you so long in godmode. 

Like we can see in flare´s video, it took 3 wolfgangs about 30 sec. to take the 27k HP down. So other characters would need double the time (1 min). 

I think for a raid stlye boss you have to prepare and that is made to be a real challenge it´s not much. 

If we could beat her easy on Day 15 it would be boring and no challenge in my opinion! I think Klei did well on this and i love the raid style boss fight. 

It´s actually 10x more health than in singleplayer, not 100x :-)

Dragonfly was designed to fight her with several people, this is probably why it took you so long in godmode. 

Like we can see in flare´s video, it took 3 wolfgangs about 30 sec. to take the 27k HP down. So other characters would need double the time (1 min). 

I think for a raid stlye boss you have to prepare and that is made to be a real challenge it´s not much. 

If we could beat her easy on Day 15 it would be boring and no challenge in my opinion! I think Klei did well on this and i love the raid style boss fight. 

Flare beaten up that dragonfly when the stats were different.

Dragonfly, back then, had 20K health, a longer attack period (it took longer for her to attack someone), was stunnable by the icestaff (so she couldn't spit out lavaes or attack).

Now, she has 27.5K, an attack period almost two times shorter, her attacks are no longer stunnable by icestaff. Especially the last one, she can now spit out lavaes in a high number (around 4-10), which individually have 500 health and deal 50 damage.

It's good that you can freeze lavaes, otherwise it would take forever to kill them.

It's less good that there are multiple waves of lavaes, so you need lots of icestaffs (up to 9) to freeze all of them.

Another strat you could use in the past was to cage the dragonfly behind some walls far from lava ponds, so she would walk continuosly to lava ponds when she wanted to spawn lavaes, letting you kill her without problems. 

Then they made it so Dragonfly can fly over walls.

A little secret that Seth does not need to know about. You can still cage her if you put multiple rows of walls down.

Or you could use the old strategy. Put Dragonfly to sleep and blow her up with some gunpowder!

It only takes 138 rotten eggs, 138 charcoals, and 138 nitres to make all that gunpowder!

Flare beaten up that dragonfly when the stats were different.

Dragonfly, back then, had 20K health, a longer attack period (it took longer for her to attack someone), was stunnable by the icestaff (so she couldn't spit out lavaes or attack).

Now, she has 27.5K, an attack period almost two times shorter, her attacks are no longer stunnable by icestaff. Especially the last one, she can now spit out lavaes in a high number (around 4-10), which individually have 500 health and deal 50 damage.

It's good that you can freeze lavaes, otherwise it would take forever to kill them.

It's less good that there are multiple waves of lavaes, so you need lots of icestaffs (up to 9) to freeze all of them.

Another strat you could use in the past was to cage the dragonfly behind some walls far from lava ponds, so she would walk continuosly to lava ponds when she wanted to spawn lavaes, letting you kill her without problems. 

Then they made it so Dragonfly can fly over walls.

A little secret that Seth does not need to know about. You can still cage her if you put multiple rows of walls down.

Or you could use the old strategy. Put Dragonfly to sleep and blow her up with some gunpowder!

It only takes 138 rotten eggs, 138 charcoals, and 138 nitres to make all that gunpowder!

Thanks for correcting. I only knew about the Ice-Stuff chances (which i really like, the Ice-Stuff was so overpowered vs Giants before and is so cheap). 

But with all the other chances it seems to be really hard now compared to the video flare posted. I haven't tried it myself yet. 

Thanks for correcting. I only knew about the Ice-Stuff chances (which i really like, the Ice-Stuff was so overpowered vs Giants before and is so cheap). 

But with all the other chances it seems to be really hard now compared to the video flare posted. I haven't tried it myself yet. 

The only important loot Dragonfly spawns right now are scales, which he drops at one point in the fight without the need to have him dead (he also drops scales after he dies), so you can just fight the Dragonfly till you get scales, then let it go. That's what I would do.

Another thing that could be done (have not tried it yet) is to set up a fling-o-matic near the dragonfly, maybe it will target the lavaes (or you on fire when you are near the lavaes) so they freeze. I don't actually know if this works.

The only important loot Dragonfly spawns right now are scales, which he drops at one point in the fight without the need to have him dead (he also drops scales after he dies), so you can just fight the Dragonfly till you get scales, then let it go. That's what I would do.

Another thing that could be done (have not tried it yet) is to set up a fling-o-matic near the dragonfly, maybe it will target the lavaes (or you on fire when you are near the lavaes) so they freeze. I don't actually know if this works.

I recommend the use of 50 gunpowder though, because she'll go into the larvae stage before you hit the scale break off threshold. It also seems to be a chance that'll she'll drop it, since my tests didn't always yield the scales before the Dragonfly died.

Ice Flingers work much better than ice staffs by freezing them in two hits, but do not target the larvae directly. If you had scale armor and killed one in-front of the machine, or made things continuously catch fire by the magma pool, you can lead the larvae into the blast range.

After receiving certain amount of damage, in certain time, the dragonfly will enter knockout mode.

It will look like she's sleeping.

While she's knocked out, all the damage you deal will count towards a damage tracker.

If you reach the threshold, scales will drop.

It's not chance.

After receiving certain amount of damage, in certain time, the dragonfly will enter knockout mode.

It will look like she's sleeping.

While she's knocked out, all the damage you deal will count towards a damage tracker.

If you reach the threshold, scales will drop.

It's not chance.

What is the damage needed for the knock out mode and what is the damage needed for the damage tracker?

You need to output 1250 damage in 5 seconds to stun the dragonfly for 10 seconds.

After 10 seconds pass, you will need to wait 60 seconds before another stun is possible.

And also, for the next stun you will need to deal 250 more damage.

While the dragonfly is stunned, she will be knocked down, and her damage tracker component will update the damage received.

If the damage received excels the 2500 threshold, then scales will drop.

This only counts when going from 2400 to 2600, for example, going from 2600 to 2700 won't drop the scales.

So, you can only obtain 1 dragon scales item drop while stunned per dragonfly engagement.

You need to output 1250 damage in 5 seconds to stun the dragonfly for 10 seconds.

After 10 seconds pass, you will need to wait 60 seconds before another stun is possible.

And also, for the next stun you will need to deal 250 more damage.

While the dragonfly is stunned, she will be knocked down, and her damage tracker component will update the damage received.

If the damage received excels the 2500 threshold, then scales will drop.

This only counts when going from 2400 to 2600, for example, going from 2600 to 2700 won't drop the scales.

So, you can only obtain 1 dragon scales item drop while stunned per dragonfly engagement.

Ah, so the reason I got 50 gunpowder to work was not because of the 10,000 damage, but because the stack of 40 knocked her out and the extra 10 triggered the threshold.

So 6 gunpowder would deal 1200 damage, but if I smacked the Dragonfly within a 5 second gap, she will become knocked out. Then if a second explosion of 7 gunpowder dealing 1400 damage went off within 10 seconds, I would have my scales then. Correct? Or would one explosion of 12 gunpowder dealing 2400 damage and knocking her out, and then following up with one blow dart dealing 100 damage, be a better idea?

6 gunpowder for 1200 damage.

1 hit (over 50), within 5 seconds to stun.

Dragonfly is stunned. Damage tracker enables.

13 gunpowder to exceed 2500 damage, within 10 seconds.

Scales drop.

Damage tracker only updates when the dragonfly is knocked down.

Damage before or after the knock down do not count for the scales.

I just killed the dragonfly alone with 80 gunpowder and fire armor :-)

But how did you survive the Larvae? Those jerks would just cause heat strokes while they chewed up your armor.

And a 11,500 health Dragonfly still has twice as much health as any other giant. 

The ice flingomatics don't work for them, I tried. But ice staff is working good, jerks dies with three usages.

When I tried that, the Ice Flingomatics slaughtered them and kept Dragonfly out of the enraged state, but the Ice Staffs fire rate was too slow to stop the Larvae, never mind really expensive.

Hmm, at least I have some new ideas for Dragonfly. Gonna need to add 45 gunpowder to the shopping list.

Archived