[General] - I cannot purchase frontier pack as a gift on steam

heflar

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: I cannot purchase frontier pack as a gift on steam

Issue Description: when i try to purchase the frontier pack as a gift on steam all of the options are dimmed out, the options to purchase for myself or as a gift.

Steps to Reproduce: I already have Don't starve and Don't starve together, trying to purchase the frontier pack will reproduce the results if you own both of these already.

so you are saying because i own something that i cannot purchase another one which i cannot even use ? because i am getting it for cheaper, i only want a single don't starve and DST to gift to a friend, i will pay 5 dollars for this even.

so you are saying because i own something that i cannot purchase another one which i cannot even use ? because i am getting it for cheaper, i only want a single don't starve and DST to gift to a friend, i will pay 5 dollars for this even.

@heflar,

The discounted price of $5 USD is provided for you because you own Don't Starve. If you were able to buy the Frontier Pack, it would be 2 DST keys only. You would not receive an extra copy of Don't Starve on its own, you or your friend would need to buy that separately.

You cannot buy the Frontier Pack for yourself because you own DST already; this has always been a thing with Steam.

However, this next part is where I think many of us got confused. You also can't buy it as a gift because you're being offered an exclusive, discounted price that's not available to everyone. You're being given a discount because you own Don't Starve, remember.

Klei announced the other day that DS and DST will be standalone upon release, and if they are not purchased in a bundle, they'll be $14.99 each: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46183-dont-starve-and-dont-starve-together/. Steam is basically ensuring that you're not able to get 2 copies of DST for only $5, when it should cost anywhere from $14.99-$19.99 for a single non-owner.

Doesn't change the fact that DST can't be gifted to current owners of DS.

Current owners of DS should be able to buy the Frontier Pack themselves, for the reduced cost (Steam price glitchiness aside), and gift that second key to anyone. I've been AFK for a bit, is that not happening either? This here is about how the current owners of DS-plus-DST can't buy the Frontier Pack.

like i said i buy the pack but owner of DS dont get a copy of DS (it will be deleted) but i have get 1 DST for me and a copy of it

Sorry to disappoint, but yes, that's how they planned it: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/44729-dont-starve-together-roadmap

A player who owns Don't Starve and buys the Frontier Pack will receive 2 DST keys only. Non-owners of Don't Starve who buy the Frontier Pack will receive 2 DST keys, as well as one copy of Don't Starve for themselves.

Current owners of DS should be able to buy the Frontier Pack themselves, for the reduced cost (Steam price glitchiness aside), and gift that second key to anyone. I've been AFK for a bit, is that not happening either? This here is about how the current owners of DS-plus-DST can't buy the Frontier Pack.

Well here's what my friend is trying to do. He gifted friends Don't Starve a long time ago. He now wants to gift them DST for the $5 it would cost them if they were to buy it themselves, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Well here's what my friend is trying to do. He gifted friends Don't Starve a long time ago. He now wants to gift them DST for the $5 it would cost them if they were to buy it themselves, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Does your friend already have DST in his account from the closed beta? If so, he's not going to be able to buy the Frontier Pack. He could gift the $5 to one of the friends, and ask them to buy the Frontier Pack themselves and share the second key with the other friend.

So I bought the frontier pack for $5 and gifted it to a friend; the pack says it comes with 1 copy of DS and DST + 1 gift copy of DST. I own DS and my friend didnt own either so I thought if I gifted this to him he would get both DS and DST and he could send me back the gift copy of DST, allowing us both to have DS and DST. However he can't find the gift copy to send me. So my question is are we just not finding it or did we lose the gift copy during this process? 

Thanks in advance

@MrFRZ, It should say when you're buying it that because you already have DS, you don't get a copy of it.

It's definitely a confusing system and I wish it was done in a different way (maybe it wasn't possible, I don't know), but the reason it's $5 if you have DS is because you're only getting DST. $20 is $15 for DS + $5 for DST.

Archived