Friend code

• Developer

We've started sending out only one key when we accept someone into the closed beta (previously it was two). We neglected to update the text of the email that it comes in, which we're fixing as I write this. Sorry for any confusion this caused!

We've started sending out only one key when we accept someone into the closed beta (previously it was two). We neglected to update the text of the email that it comes in, which we're fixing as I write this. Sorry for any confusion this caused!

Still pretty disappointed, I don't see the point in having beta acces when I have no one to play with.. I don't like playing with random strangers, it is not the same as playing with your best friend...

• Developer

Still pretty disappointed, I don't see the point in having beta acces when I have no one to play with.. I don't like playing with random strangers, it is not the same as playing with your best friend...

I understand where you're coming from. I do. It's why we started with more keys for the first people that were given access. But, we had 80,000 people sign up for the beta, which exceeded our expectations. We're rolling out keys as fast as we're comfortable with: we're adapting and scaling as we go. If we were to continue to send out 2 keys to everyone that got an email, it would take twice as long for everyone that signed up to have a chance to play (plus we can't be sure that all of the extra keys are being used). We will eventually be opening the game up to more people than those who signed up for the beta application, but since we want to give the people who did so access earlier, this is the only way to get that done in a reasonable amount of time.

Besides, I think you'll find the community of Don't Starve Together players to be surprisingly friendly :)

They're trying to burn through the beta applications right now. Then once that's done, they'll open it up to the public. Right now, the point of playing is to test the game. I know what you mean by playing with strangers, I don't like it either. But I've actually met some really nice people on DST. 

I understand where you're coming from. I do. It's why we started with more keys for the first people that were given access. But, we had 80,000 people sign up for the beta, which exceeded our expectations. We're rolling out keys as fast as we're comfortable with: we're adapting and scaling as we go. If we were to continue to send out 2 keys to everyone that got an email, it would take twice as long for everyone that signed up to have a chance to play (plus we can't be sure that all of the extra keys are being used). We will eventually be opening the game up to more people than those who signed up for the beta application, but since we want to give the people who did so access earlier, this is the only way to get that done in a reasonable amount of time.

Besides, I think you'll find the community of Don't Starve Together players to be surprisingly friendly :-)

We keep saying basically the same thing and it's starting to creep me out xD but in a weirdly good way

Besides, I think you'll find the community of Don't Starve Together players to be surprisingly friendly :-)

Except that one time, when someone came into my server as Willow and started burning my Berry bushes and Grass. The server was not PvP, so I had to restart the server, as I could not have had enough time to dispose of the trouble maker. I find restarting servers a better idea than just removing the person in this case, as some of the grass that started to burn, survived, as after the restart, the fire was out: it could as well be a good way of preventing forest fires: that is if you don't change it now (please don't).

Back to topic: I've got a question - since people get only one key distributed now, wouldn't phase 3 be possible? And considering that there were people before who got 2 keys, aren't we kind of in phase 3 already? Or did I misunderstood how phase 3 will work?

Thanks to the new friend code policy, I got in but my wife didn't.

You have ruined my marriage. Thanks.

PS: Bring back 2 codes per invite you dummies.

If your wife would have signed up. She would've got in too.

Don't blame the Devs for wanting to get people in quicker.

@Dujour ... really? If you took the time to understand their decision (which they've provided ample explanation for), you'd realize that no matter what they do, there will be people complaining. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. If you bring back 2 keys per invite, then all the people who signed up and haven't gotten an invite are complaining about feeling "neglected" or whatever, and if they don't then some of the people who do get in complain about not being able to invite friends.

Thanks to the new friend code policy, I got in but my wife didn't.

You have ruined my marriage. Thanks.

PS: Bring back 2 codes per invite you dummies.

Logic: Not getting 2 keys=Ruined marriage

I may not be married but I do know from watching people play games is still fun.

If your wife would have signed up. She would've got in too.

Don't blame the Devs for wanting to get people in quicker.

Well my buddy signed up for the beta at the same moment as I did and he didn't get a key yet so that doesn't really make sense.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think the best solution would be to make it possible to sign up for the beta as a pair together with your friend so that you get your keys at the same time. In my opinion that would be the best solution to this problem.

Well my buddy signed up for the beta at the same moment as I did and he didn't get a key yet so that doesn't really make sense.

They made a guarantee for people who signed up for the beta to get a key (I got a key from someone who got their keys early, I still want to give one to a friend who wanted to sign only recently). After they get past the 80k registrants then they'll give out the rest of the keys 2 million keys created for those who missed the first sign up.

They made a guarantee for people who signed up for the beta to get a key (I got a key from someone who got their keys early, I still want to give one to a friend who wanted to sign only recently). After they get past the 80k registrants then they'll give out the rest of the keys 2 million keys created for those who missed the first sign up.

Yes but that wasn't the essense of my response to that comment.

P.s. Your profile picture scares the living sheit out of me lol.

Archived